1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.30 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

World editor/ sound and atmosphere

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by ltntai, Apr 1, 2020.

1. ltntai

ltntai
    Expand Collapse

Is there a setting for realistic speed of sound/volume/pressure?
    I want to see an object dropped from the sky hitting the ground in the distance before I can hear it.
    Or hear it at all. Sound system cranked to max, and there's a faint, maybe a short tire squeal, when I watch a semi-tanker do that from 344 m away.

edit. There seem to be a noise distance (smaller than draw distance) that cuts also these comfort-muffled loud noises (like gunfire in fpshooter). Is there a way to hear them, when emitted from a safe distance?

#1 ltntai, Apr 1, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  2. TDK

TDK
    Expand Collapse
    FLIT KILLS MOTHS
    BeamNG Team

Sadly, no - not at this tim - although speed of sound delay would be very cool

We do have a max distance on are audio at a per sound event level. The max being 1.9km, as we need to clamp the audio at some point.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. ltntai

ltntai
    Expand Collapse

So that semi-tanker would need to carry a "special loud crash sound emitter datablock that activates when it decelerates fast enough, far enough" -kind of thing, if I wanted to hear it from a distance?

And if it could calculate the speed of sound delay according to the observer, we could have that feature. Plane crashes and train collisions in the horizon are out of game's focus, but in theory?

#3 ltntai, Apr 3, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  4. TDK

TDK
    Expand Collapse
    FLIT KILLS MOTHS
    BeamNG Team

Skid sounds will travel a lot further than an impact because of the frequency content of the sound. If you need to have an impact sounds playing with a massive max distance, then yes you'd need to do that yourself. I'm afraid I can't help of offer advice with modding.

As for sound delay - in theory, yes... but this would be very expensive.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ltntai

ltntai
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for your answers.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice