1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Worth buying a 360-controller?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AnnoyingIB, Aug 6, 2013.

1. AnnoyingIB

AnnoyingIB
    Expand Collapse

Okay so I don't really like the controls for keyboard, so I am thinking about buying a 360 controller just for beamng

So for you guys that have a 360-controller, how is it compared to a PC keyboard? Is it more smooth/generally better?

Thanks!

2. Superman

Superman
    Expand Collapse

It's better to drive with a controller as you can be more precise with steering and throttle. With a keyboard it's only on/off which makes driving feel less attached and difficult with cars like the Bolide. Grab a wired 360 pad :)

3. iheartmods

iheartmods
    Expand Collapse

Any controller would do, be it a gamepad, wheel, joystick etc.

Closest and next best thing for PC is a Logitech Dual Action. I'm not sure if they make one with Force Feedback but the one I have is pretty good.

Overall for a game like this, a wheel is the best pick otherwise throttle and steering controls are just to hard to use realistically

Up to you, only thing that determines your choice would be price range

4. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

It's great for almost everything. You have more control over throttle, brakes and steering with the triggers and analogs.
    Plus, most of the game are pre configured for it, as BeamNG. I would suggest it, it will come handy for other games too. But keyboard and mouse is still the best for fps games.

5. ZeDDiE

ZeDDiE
    Expand Collapse

i havn't tried hooking up some controller instead of keyboard yet, but i'd say it isn't worth it
    the controller itself isn't really that cheap, and hooking it up can be a pain in the ass

but well, thats just my opinion.

6. AnnoyingIB

AnnoyingIB
    Expand Collapse

Thank you so much for you answers guys!

The 360 controller only costs about 35$ and money isn't really an issue for me. I just want the best possible experience I can have with beamng, I've been following the whole progress since their first video.

So I will most likely order one tomorrow then :)

7. Rivadaris

Rivadaris
    Expand Collapse

I went and bought one for this game and I love it I would say do it...

8. SIDWULF

SIDWULF
    Expand Collapse

Xbox Controller for driving games on the PC is a must. I assume a wheel would be too bulky and annoying to set up every time I want to play. With the Xbox controller I just pick it up and start driving and then switch back to mouse when I'm playing a First Person Shooter. Sometimes I do this in the same game (GTA IV) which is really quite handy. The force feedback is a nice little added immersion when implemented properly. With the triggers and analogs you have a decent amount of throw almost as if you had mini joysticks and gas pedals. Like someone said the keyboard is all on/off, Full throttle, full left and full right, no intermediates.

#8 SIDWULF, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  9. SacredTauri

SacredTauri
    Expand Collapse

I have always wanted a wheel setup. Never got around to buying one though. Currently do not have the extra money, desk area, etc to support one. I have a wired Xbox controller and love it for the majority of racing and third person sandbox games I play(GTA IV and Just Cause 2). I have used my Playstation controllers in the past and they work perfectly fine with Motioninjoy when everything goes smoothly. I borrowed the Xbox controller to a friend who lost the usb connection dongle but learned that they use the same dongles for some Guitar Hero or Rock Band game controllers. Like others have stated, it's nice being able to set the controller down and move right back to the mouse when needed.

(Off-Topic) Best thing about it has to be that a console buddy of mine can come over and he can use it to play Serious Sam 3 with me. Now only if more games supported such a nice feature. Also works great for friends who are not used to keyboard and mouse gaming.

10. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

I've asked this a few times and not gotten an answer: Does it have to be a wired xbox controller? Because we have wireless controllers so instead of buying a wired one I ordered a wireless controller adapter for 10 bucks.

11. AnnoyingIB

AnnoyingIB
    Expand Collapse

12. BreadForMen

BreadForMen
    Expand Collapse

I would rather the 360 controller over keyboard any day in driving games that support it. So go for it if you really want to.

13. bosseye

bosseye
    Expand Collapse

Just grab a wired 360 pad, rather than a wireless one. Its simple plug and play then, just stick it in the USB port and games that support it will work straight away, no messing about. I've heard of a few issues with the wireless version and set up.

And its definitely worth getting a pad for Drive, it allows a degree of subtlety to control that the mouse and keyboard don't give you.

14. impega1957

impega1957
    Expand Collapse

Yeah i've been using a ps3 controller and it makes control feel so much more intuitive than a keyboard

15. ivankio

ivankio
    Expand Collapse

Does someone has experience with generic ps or xbox controller vs official ones? I wanted to know if they are similar or official ones are actually good. I've got a generic six axis and although it is technically analogical, in practice it's almost as binary as a keyboard. Quite large dead zone, and the transition area is so minimal that you can't really control grades of an axis without tweezers. I guess this is why most games go and map acceleration directly to a on/off button.

ABB-crane-controls-2.jpg

I get the gaming market dropped the joy stick and something as empowering as that was dummy-ed. But what I got here is a joke. Even the circular area isn't effective, the maximum value is in a square inside the circle. Are all gamepads palliatives or the official ones provides actual analogical control almost as if you could control a simple crane?

16. NkosiKarbul

NkosiKarbul
    Expand Collapse

i am using an original wireless xbox pad for pc, which came with a reciever of course. never had any problems with any software or game. for me it just works perfect with BeamNG Drive, as long you have the inputmaps sorted.^^

i can of course just speak for myself and a friend of mine who owns one too,
    but both of us never had any problems with any software or any game recognizing and accepting the input of the official wireless xbox gamepad for pc's and it is plug and play too.

17. ivankio

ivankio
    Expand Collapse

Karbul, can you tell if the analogical stick goes from 0 to 1 in a radial or cartesian fashion? I mean, which one seems more like the behavior of an official controller?
    analogic control.jpg
    The generic I have here is cartesian like the left image. It's annoying to have dead zones both in the middle and at the end.

18. skymiracle

skymiracle
    Expand Collapse

get a wired xbox 360 controller. i got mine from newegg. YES! its worth it. althrough if you got a lot of money, look at the thrustmaster t500rs and th8 shifter.

19. wilder

wilder
    Expand Collapse

i use am official xbox controller, wireless with adapter. i love it. no noticeable dead zones at all. and works great. the people who have trouble just need to re-do the driver for the adapter, and turn the controller on b4 the game...

20. bzacon

bzacon
    Expand Collapse

I strongly recommend getting a controller. I have a 360 controller and it works great for beamng, only downside is the poor quality of the joysticks, (they don't center nearly as well as a logitech) My favorite controller (unfortunatley broken) is the logitech f310, I haven't tested it with beamng, but it is very precise, and it comes with configuration software and an xinput/directinput switch so you can set it up for any of your other games.

That said, a lot of people love racing wheels, I haven't tried one because I don't have the money for one with a clutch.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice