Xbox one or ps4

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by Koenigsegg, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Koenigsegg

Koenigsegg
    Expand Collapse

I wanna know if i should get a xbox one or ps4.(and dont say pc) I wanna play games like the crew, just cause 3,need for speed 2015, etc.

2. gigawert

gigawert
    Expand Collapse

I would get the Xbox one because Microsoft is always better... Microsoft makes Windows anyway.

3. randomshortguy

randomshortguy
    Expand Collapse

Neither The Crew nor NFS 2015 are worth getting a console for
    JC3 can't run at a steady framerate on a console.
    You can't use the internet on a console without paying a monthly fee.
    They're both about the cost of a mid range PC
    You choose one, you can't play with friends with the other console.

and worst of all,

you'd be giving money to Sony or Microsoft.

so...

get a (better) pc

you won't regret it

if you absolutely only want a console, the xbone has Forza Horizon 2. That's the only reason I'd consider it.

• Like Like x 4
  4. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

Honestly, I have both, and both are great. There really is no distinction between the two when it comes to performance, everyone harps on the PS4 for 1080p full time and the Xbox One for as close to 60 FPS all the time and is willing to start stuffing the nail into the coffin of each other as soon as one has the slightest of jitters or stumbles and claims the other if far superior. Now I don't have any of these games on the Xbox One, I pretty much exclusively bought it for Halo and Forza (same as was with my 360) so I don't know how the multiplayer works on games that need to be online all the time like the Crew or NFS 2015... I had heard rumors that if you don't have Xbox Live, you can't play these games at all... however, we need to wait until someone with a full time online game that has the Xbox either confirms or denys this.

As far as the PS4 goes, if you have a full time online game you can play online without being subscribed to PlayStation Plus, however, some features will be blocked that you can only use with PlayStation Plus. For instance, in the Crew, if someone invites you to play in a match online, you can play with them in the matches they keep inviting you to. If you would like to invite someone onto your crew, or start an online match however, you are unable to. Its pretty much the same story with NFS 2015.

As far as which one you should get, it really depends on what games you want for it and what else you plan on doing with it. The three that you suggested are on both consoles, so you will be satisfied either way you look at it. The exclusive titles are the ones that matter more. Are you a Forza or a Gran Turismo guy? If you like Forza then you are stuck with the Xbox and vice versa. So you will have to look at what exclusive titles you want and weigh that into you decision.

As for the functionality of the two consoles, they are both masters of their craft. Each has the ability to record game play in real time (PlayStation is far more convenient here as the Xbox you have to physically start the recording meaning if you do something awesome and decide that you want a recording of it, you are already to late, its gone), Each can access many services to stream video or music, each has an online store for games, each has blue-ray playback as well as DVDs, each has 500-1000GB of hard drive space (depending on what size you get), each has an upgradable hard drive, each has a comfortable controller that is a vast improvement over the old version (except for battery life on both... they are both pretty big battery hogs, but the PS4 you can plug in and keep going which is a plus), each has a 3D camera peripheral that can respond to voice commands and has facial recognition (the PS4 even locates your controller so it knows what side of the screen you are sitting when playing split screen games with a friend... that's pretty cool), and they both can download updates while in rest mode (best feature of both by a land slide when you have slow internet like me, and the PS4 can even install its upgrades when it is in rest mode which is awesome).

Now each also has their own little features that let it shine as well. The Xbox's most recent update just added Xbox 360 backwards compatibility. It is a software compatibility so if the game you have isn't on the list of compatible ones, then you will just have to wait till they add it (if they do). It isn't the greatest and is a little glitchy, but at least it is something. The PS4 will be getting PS2 backwards compatibility in the same way that the Xbox is doing its BC, however, unlike the Xbox where you just stick in the disk you already own and download that version onto your Xbox One by way of identification of the disk that you already own the game, the PS4 will not allow you to put in PS2 games and get them downloaded for free. It kinda sucks, but it is what it is... also there will be no PS3 backwards compatibility because Sony made the PS3 way to complicated to be Emulated with the power the PS4 has unless they somehow pull off a merical.

The PS4 has the ability to "share" games over the internet with other PS4 owners that you know so you can play with them, or if you can't get through a part in a game, you can hand off the controller to them virtually and they can do it for you. I personally have not used this feature yet because I don't know anyone with a PS4 but I would imagine both take an incredible amount of Brodband to actually work properly. The PS4 can also share gameplay videos straight to YouTube, Facebook, twitch, and probably more instantly as well without hardly any drop in gamplay time... (I just timed myself sharing one to FB and it literally took 25 ish seconds out of my gameplay) as opposed to the Xbox One which is a fairly convoluted process to even record something, never-mind share it (Supposedly this is made infinitely easier when using the voice commands with the Kinect, but I don't own one of them so I can't tell you how that works).

The Xbox, not to be outdone on features, can be used as a fully integrated DVR and channel box for your HDTV from your satellite or cable provider. This is really awesome... but unless you have the Kinect to use voice commands, it is probably also just as hard to use as the screen recorder is. I, again, have personally never used this feature, but it is there if I want to. The Xbox also has the ability to snap other apps during gamplay, and even lets you use things like Skype while you are playing your game... not bad Xbox... not bad.

So as you can see, there are a lot of things to consider when it comes to which one you want... I don't recommend doing what I did because I just couldn't make up my mind... but if there are any other questions just ask and I can probably answer them.

5. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

Honestly it depends on whether you want to play Forza or well GT7 (whenever it comes out in 2056) I guess. Other wise pretty much the only games on them are Halo, some remasters of last gen stuff and timed exclusives that are pretty awful (Looking at you NFS2015). Not to mention the games that lag like hell normally...

So yeah you would be better to just use PC for everything, unless you have £300 laying around just to play a couple of racing games.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Why not PC? Steam Sales, PC Exclusives, only limit being your hardware, etc.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/PCMasterRace/wiki/builds
    You can find some sweet builds ranked by price here.

But heh, if you really want a console, I'd say a PS4, seeing how bad the Xbone is performing lately.. :|
    Or a Wii (Or upcoming NX), fun and different.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

at least with a wii you can play beerio kart

• Like Like x 1
  8. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Quite frankly I am sick to death of both consoles and am hoping like all fucking hell
    the Nintendo "NX" brings back the fun and innocent glory of console gaming. I'm tired
    of the console vs PC whack a mole and would love it if Nintendo seized the initiative
    to get console gaming back to where it belongs. Nintendo was the company that
    popped my video gaming cherry and I'll always be there if they decide to get their shit
    together and blow the current video gaming cabal into the dark ages.

9. daniel_j

daniel_j
    Expand Collapse

Get a PC and install Gentoo - hours of entertainment there.

10. Zappymouse

Zappymouse
    Expand Collapse

This post brought to you by Richard Stallman and all of /g/.

11. Feinstein

Feinstein
    Expand Collapse

JustCause3 & The Crew are available on PC, and NFS 2015 will be next year. Also JustCause3 lags terribly on console.
    I'd recommend using the money you would use to buy a console to upgrade your PC instead.

12. Koenigsegg

Koenigsegg
    Expand Collapse

yea but the cheapest pc is maybe like 5 fps more and i have sucky internet so i would have to download everything all over again (talking a week at least). and ps4 and xbox have fast internet if you have xbox live or psn

13. daniel_j

daniel_j
    Expand Collapse

Well, news flash bruh, these days you have to download all games on all systems.
    The discs come with only a portion of each game.
    "i have sucky internet so i would have to download everything all over again (talking a week at least). and ps4 and xbox have fast internet if you have xbox live and ps4"
    Can't tell if troll or srs
    Your internet speed does not increase if you own a PS4 or Xbox one.
    It does however increase if you install Gentoo, so that is your best bet.

#13 daniel_j, Dec 10, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  14. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Yeah like daniel points out. You have to download significant portions of the game on both next gen consoles. Plus if you have sucky internet, that will impact on both xbox live and psn, they cant magically make your internet go faster.

Plus the suggestion was upgrade your computer not get a new one. Swap a graphics card for a better one, you dont have to download anything but the drivers.

15. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

Now based on more information on this thread I am going to give you an ultimatum... if you have a connection speed of less then 6MB/s.... even if no one in the house is using the internet... these consoles will absolutely destroy your connection... Nothing will run but them... and online gaming will only 'just' work... and when I say just I mean just.

The consoles will make nothing faster as far as internet connections are concerned... now looking at your current state I would say just go with a PC... the only downside to a PC is compatibility issues that you run into occasionally... anyone of us that has ever gamed on a PC knows that sometimes it isn't plug and play and some tweaking must be done to get things to work... thats just the nature of PC gaming... however, for the same amount of money... you can gat a PC that would basically crap all over both consoles and then you could also use it to run BeamNG which, as I may point out, no console will ever do unless the devs decide to get very adventurous (which I don't see why they would do that)

16. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

What?
    PSN and XLive are just service, speeds still depends on your Internet plan. Those services won't make your Internet go faster out of nowhere.

Also, XLive and PSN Plus being both paid (not sure if PSNPlus is required for MP, but heh).

Buying PC parts on your own (Not pre-builts) can result in about 100-200 bucks more experience expensive, but if you count that you won have to pay extras for MP and the lower costs of games, it would be a better choice on the long run IMO.

But then, if you still really really want a console.. :/

17. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

It is on PS4. Honestly paid MP is the reason I refuse to touch any of the current gen consoles with a 10 foot pole - as much as I'd love to play Forza 6, or GT7 whenever it does come out. I'm not giving money to a company that then proceeds to ask me for more money if I want to make full use of their product which I purchased.

The other reason is the fact that I can play any game that's not a console exclusive with better controls, graphics, performance, mods...

18. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Wow, sucks.
    It was free on PS3 no? OR at least, it wasn't required to play MP?

19. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

It was free on PS3 yeah, although quality of service back then was frankly terrible

20. samgladiator888

samgladiator888
    Expand Collapse

I suggest ps4. Xbox one is a piece of sh*t

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice