YAY! Just pre-ordered the AMD R9 290X

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by The_Soldiet, Oct 24, 2013.

1. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for correcting me Bubbleawesoem and davidbc, was not aware of that.

G-sync will try to make sure that everything remains smooth and no tearing will occur no matter what your frame rate is. Tearing only ever occurs if your frame rate is above 60fps on a 60htz screen. Its an issue i get quite a bit, in BeamNG i often find that my fps will go down to 45 and up to over 60fps on a regular basis depending on where i am looking, v-sync will make that smooth no matter what the fps and wont slow the game down like v-sync. I would suggest you look into it as many people have covered it really well.

2. Davidbc

Davidbc
    Expand Collapse

I saw the video from nvidia, they showed that at 60 fps (v-sync limited) everything was fine, but then when it went down to 50 you could see the image wasn't completely smooth. As I said, I'd rather buy a new GPU that can provide 60 fps than a new monitor with a technology that will force me in the future to buy a nvidia GPU.

3. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

But the way i see it is that card wont always be able to play at 60fps, with g-sync you are "future proofed" to a certain degree because your minimum frame rate wont cause lag spikes etc

4. Davidbc

Davidbc
    Expand Collapse

but it forces you to buy nvidia hardware in the future, or you'll waste that feature for which you paid the new monitor + 100€ for the feature itself. If it were for both nvidia/amd then yes, but making a monitor with nvidia-exclusive features... I just don't see it...

5. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

As far as im aware:
    Positives:
    • Smooth fps, always. Its something that i am missing, even on games where i am above 60fps
    • Get more life out of 1 individual card. If 45fps actually looks smooth rather than awful i see no reason to upgrade just to hit the 60 mark
    • Not having to use V-sync (input lag)
    Negatives
    • Slightly increased price (afaik closer to 60 euros because it replaces a part that manufacturers already have to buy)

The main thing is i haven't seen a bad review for it from people who have used it. Quite a lot of people from review sites who have used it have called it a game changer. The only reason i buy a new graphics card is to have a smoother gameplay experience, traditionally smoothness doesn't exist unless you are running exactly 60fps, if you go above that you get screen tearing which is incredibly distracting, below that and you end up with micro stutter which is the main cause of a non smooth experience. So if this device can mean that a gpu can remain smooth even at 30fps then the consumer surely wins. Because they may not have to buy a new gpu as often. While i don't believe for a second AMD will take up nVidias licensing options im not sure that bothers me too much, both companies will likely remain competitive into the future and will adjust their price/performance accordingly just like they always have. Recently AMD have been behind on power, but their pricing more than made up for it to the average mid range gamer. I would expect to see nVidia do the same thing if they got behind. As of currently neither nVidia or AMD make a card that is far behind the other in most peoples price range.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice