There is now a group which will give you access to early content, bug submission and allows you to contribute to the scenario pack: http://www.beamng.com/forums/the-puzzle-cube.551/
It's been I while since I released a new mod and, since this is likely going to be my last mod for 2016 and it's Christmas, I though I would do something rather challenging and different...
I was wondering why puzzles hadn't really been incorporated into BeamNG and so I decided to give it a go. 50 hours later I realized why people hadn't given it a go but after many, many coding tweaks here it is; The Puzzle Cube!
The concept behind this is similar to portal in that they are puzzles to solve, each having different objectives using a few mechanics. A tutorial is provided for puzzle cube 1 and will talk you through the first two mechanics which will be listed down below. There is a small backstory which I know is very unrealistic but who cares, right?
There are a total of 9 different puzzle cubes, one for the tutorial, 3 for the easy-medium difficulty, 4 for the medium-hard difficulty and 1 for the hard difficulty level (however, the difficulty is the same for all of them so that they can be found easily together).
All portals feature custom sounds as well as the ninth puzzle cube for the energy disc's ambient sound. Also, the car provided is either the pickup or the fastest sbr - the pickup is only used for puzzles 4 and 8 and the sbr for the rest of them.
You may be wondering why I didn't make this a campaign and the reason is because with the campaign, at least, to my knowledge, you cannot choose what level to go to; you have to start at the beginning which may be challenging as some you may find hard to complete. this way, you can skip some if they are too hard for you.
Some very IMPORTANT information to take into account (this is displayed in scenarios as well):
- Portals: Drive up-to one and you will be teleported to the linked portal. portals are linked by colour and feature custom sounds, textures and models. Portals are not solid so you cannot get stuck in them, this is deliberate.
- Metal Boxes: These are what you can push around to put into holes to activate various different things such as open doors.
- Gravity: Later on, you will be messing with gravity. If a cube deposit area has a heavy sign on it, you need to increase the gravity and put the cube in to open walls. Moon gravity also allows you to not take damage when jumping large distances.
(There are limits to this, as you can imagine as BeamNG was never designed for this)
This has been A LOT of work to put together and I really hope you enjoy it and have fun. I am very proud of the last puzzle cube and it took me the longest time to make. Don't use free camera for this level for the full effect to come in
- Cubes can be easily pushed but DO NOT hit them too hard or they will bounce around and be hard to move where you want it
- There may be more than one cube per level but should be placed in the most logical portal; otherwise it will not trigger correctly!
- Portals are linked by colour; a blue portal leads to another blue portal
- Direction AND momentum are conserved when going through a portal; ie, if a portal is on the west wall and so is the linked portal, then you will still be facing the west direction and be travelling a velocity in the direction west. (This is because Ids get reset if the car changes rotation in Lua)
- Portals are not a one-way transaction (those who have only one direction will be placed in unreachable areas); each portal leads to its corresponding colour
- Black portals only allow BOXES through; your car cannot go through them
- Do not go through the portal too fast (10 MPH) or you may crash into a wall on the other side or loop back and forth between portals.
- Boxes can enter portals, even if they are not black
- The number above the box deposit area tells you how many boxes can be placed there; some deposit areas move objects with every box given, some only move objects when ALL boxes are given
- The picture shown when triggering gravity shows the gravity that will activate
- Anvils where boxes can be deposited means that a wall can be moved but requires more weight
- Boxes do not constantly trigger when stationary in a deposited area; you will need to remove and move them into the area again to trigger the event
WARNING: Do NOT restart the scenario when travelling through a portal - this causes the respawn-point to be messed up!
It is a bit rough around the edges so if you find any bugs, glitches or stupidities made by me, let me know in the discussions tab and I'll help you out.
My Thanks To:
RyvyLo - For helping with the lua triggers
Other than that, have a Happy Holiday and enjoy Christmas! If I'm honest, I didn't expect this to be finished before Christmas so take it as an early present!
The Puzzle Cube V1.0.7
A portal inspired puzzle scenario pack (Campaign Included)