On Hold BeaMania - High speed Drift & Jump Track

Discussion in 'Terrains, Levels, Maps' started by NkosiKarbul, Sep 19, 2013.

1. NkosiKarbul

NkosiKarbul
    Expand Collapse

BeaMania - High speed Drift & Jump Track

Back some weeks, i had the idea to create Trackmania like Racetracks for BeamNG and started to test around with self modeled Mesh Roads and Racetracks.
    After reshaping courners and banking angles for days i finaly got something you actually can drive fast and more or less smooth, we dont want it to get too easy, right? :p
    The Track is 6,2 Kilometers long, has 2 jumps, 1 looping, a corkscrew climb and banked courners. At the moment the Mesh has 62k polygons and is designed for 2-300 km/h average speed. Dont worry i tested models with 300k+ Polygons and it worked fine while my pc is 4+ years old, just importing the models takes longer.

The Track is specially designed for the Porsche 911 GT v4.1 (awd sport+Gymkhana engine) made by DrowsySam!
    Porsche-911-GT2-V4-1
    The map is also by DrowsySam, i only create the Racetrack Mesh and edit the map provided by him. Big Thanks again to Sam for this.
    Create-A-Map-Easy-Map-Creation

excuse the bad video quality please

To do List:

• Testing different lines of driving to remove last mesh surface irregularities -Done
    • reflector post on top of the Jersey Barriers every 50 meter -Modeled but not placed yet.
    • support/mounting structure for the track so it does not float in midair -Work in Progress right now!
    • reworking terrain to fit mounting structure/vegetation. with some luck you are having a surprise coming up regarding the "terrain". depens on how fast/good a friend of mine gets the outsourced modeling/texturing work done.^^

Floating ideas for later:
    • Parts of it covered with a roof, making it a tunnel for some parts
    • night version, including tunneled parts and streetlights to get a flicker effect like in a highway tunnel.

Im planing to release a beta once the track surface is done and i get the files all right.
    Please feel free to leave ideas, suggestions or feedback of any kind.

Update: 5.October.2013

Worked on some animated Traffic/Advertisement Sign Systems which offers to display multiple images.
    First System tested, the speed of the animations will be slower later on the used Version.
    Also the standalone Release will include a little Tutorial which will explain how to change Display Images.
    (Every Display needs just one single Texture Image.)

Hope to get some led display fake effect laters.

Also created some Reflector Posts/Bars.
    Leitpfosten2.jpg

Update 6.October.2013:

Adjusted the surface topology and added a "Jersey-Barrier", beta testers suggested/requested a small protection of falling down to much.
    Placed reflector posts every 50 meter on the whole track.

Jersey-Barrier and Reflector Post Demonstration at Night...and day.

Excuse the bad video quality please, im not good at video editing or waiting 6 hours just to upload a fast preview video. Have to work on the Track.^^

Update 10.October.:

Finished the mesh of the track and just started with a little support structure which will hold the track in the air.
    Edit:
    The frame structure system as shown below caused fps lags while passing it, guess it will become little less fancy, meaning normal maps rather than real 3d modeled edges within the structures surface.
    rahmen1c.jpg rahmen2c.jpg

#1 NkosiKarbul, Sep 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Lumberjack007

Lumberjack007
    Expand Collapse

Re: BeaMania - Highspeed Drift & Jump Track

Great minds think alike! I love TranckMania/ShootMania and this is awsome. This looks really good. I had this idea a few days ago, but I am lil slow and haven't figured out the editor just yet.:) Can't wait for this to be finished.

3. zorgum

zorgum
    Expand Collapse

Re: BeaMania - Highspeed Drift & Jump Track

Nice one, amazing to see that car flying so long and still drivable.

4. M_Nation

M_Nation
    Expand Collapse

That track looks really fun!
    Some suggestions (apart from releasing a beta already! :p) the possibility to change track directions or terrain type via a fork in the road. It would be cool to be racing on a dirt roadway suspended in the air, complete with rolling hills and high speed gap jumps. And more jumps, of course :D

Looks awesome, keep it up!

5. CarbineCrazy

CarbineCrazy
    Expand Collapse

Wooooaah. That looks fun. I look forward to seeing the progress on this.

6. DrWoodl

DrWoodl
    Expand Collapse

Wow i like that Map ;) That trackmania idea is great....wouldnt it be possible to make different Beammania :p trackparts (loops,jumps,boostsection,etc..) so everyone could make easily a highspeedstuntracing course to race :rolleyes:

7. NkosiKarbul

NkosiKarbul
    Expand Collapse

Thank you all for the support. :)

yes it is and i allready planed to do this too, not only with trackmania like parts but also normal road parts to give people mesh road models as long the torque3d mesh road has no clipping.

8. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

Now that's the kind of map I need ! All your planned additional features are just what it misses. This will be awesome.

9. DrowsySam

DrowsySam
    Expand Collapse

Wow man, just awesome! I'm glad to see my things going to good use.

Any chance you can PM me a private beta? I'd love to test this out.

Thanks for crediting me too :)

10. NkosiKarbul

NkosiKarbul
    Expand Collapse

Update: 5.October.2013

Thank you all for your supportive feedback so far! :D

Worked on some animated Traffic/Advertisement Sign System which offers to display multiple images.
    First System tested.

Hope to get some led display fake effect laters.

Also created some Reflector Posts/Bars.

Leitpfosten2.jpg

#10 NkosiKarbul, Oct 5, 2013
  11. slingshot4sissy

slingshot4sissy
    Expand Collapse

Awesome stuff there mate! I like the track even thou it is hard to handle with a keyboad ;) Anyway i wont share it. Just wait for nkosi to upload his files.

#11 slingshot4sissy, Oct 5, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  12. NkosiKarbul

NkosiKarbul
    Expand Collapse

Thanks. :p
    and yeah... please don't ask me for a Beta Release either, the only 2 Beta Testers who recieved it did earn it.^^
    I hope to release a Beta Version of the Map in the next Days anyway, as long i dont run into some unexpected Problems.

Edit: Which i sadly did...

#12 NkosiKarbul, Oct 5, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  13. slingshot4sissy

slingshot4sissy
    Expand Collapse

Glad i'm one of 'em :p

14. farcar

farcar
    Expand Collapse

Love those signs.
    Awesome.

15. theWOODman

theWOODman
    Expand Collapse

The sign transitions look pretty good. I believe Torque uses an "image editor" plugin which we don't have that would allow us to create animated cell sheets for full animations. As of now, I've only been able to create short animations by having horizontal image frames running across the texture. After a few created animations it doesn't take long to have a gazillon texture files loaded. I had an idea of having just one texture file to handle several animated textures at once by having rows of different animations run across the texture sheet and then just position the UV map of a model on whatever row animation you wanted. I haven't tested yet to see if it would work.
    Good job

#15 theWOODman, Oct 5, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  16. hummiliation

hummiliation
    Expand Collapse

Hahaha, that WD40 perfume made my day. The Leitpfosten are awesome...

17. NkosiKarbul

NkosiKarbul
    Expand Collapse

In First, Thank You all!

Yeah i thought about animated textures too, but as im pretty new to uv mapping, i did use animated meshes for the signs you see in the video.
    Just recreated the mechanism that is used by old advertisement signs. Three faced bars standing upright side by side and turn 120° every x seconds/frames.
    It should become slightly time delayed, so it looks like a wave going from left to right.

But if You find out more about using animated uv mapping or animated textures to create animations on static mesh surfaces, please let me know.
    Would be very curious to see more solutions for animations or optical effects.

18. theWOODman

theWOODman
    Expand Collapse

Animated meshes, how on earth did you do that? If it was by importing an animated .dae file, I didn't know you could do that and that the Torque editor supported it. If it can, then that's great because I had some ideas about adding certain animated meshes to my maps. As far as animated textures go, I did a few for my map "Stockcar Madness" which you can download and check out. Nothing fancy, but at least it's something different. My waterfall is simply a "scroll" type of animation which is fairly simple, my other is s fire animation that uses frames. You can find it here if you're interested

http://www.beamng.com/threads/4211-Stockcar-Madness-racing-map-update-9-29-2013

19. NkosiKarbul

NkosiKarbul
    Expand Collapse

will have a look at it, thx.

Animated Meshs are pretty easy to import, all you need is another Null/Empty as child of the Null/Empty called "start01".
    So in the same hierarchy level as the Colmesh-1 and the rendered mesh. Use this aditional Null/Empty as parent for all meshes you want to animate.
    Only the Parent Null/Empty object, that holds the animated meshes, has to be centered to prevent rotational bugs after importing, the animated meshes can be placed or move anywhere within the space of their parent.
    Keys must be continuous for every animation, meaning there can't be empty keyframes between 2 different keys afaik.
    Did read that Torque would need them filled or it will just jump from one key to the next, without subdividing the movement to the empty keyframes in the space inbetween both keys.
    Keyframes in areas without animations happening can be empty of course.
    You can even blend and trigger different animation sequences by settings which are adjustable in the shape editor, but i did not get far there yet... don't even know how i can change the playbackspeed outside of the editor.

Edit,
    Update 6.October.2013:

Adjusted the surface topology and added a "Jersey-Barrier", beta testers suggested/requested a small protection from falling down to fast.
    Placed reflector posts every 50 meter on the whole track.

Jersey-Barrier and Reflector Post Demonstration at Night...and day.

Excuse the bad video quality please, im not good at video editing or waiting 6 hours just to upload a fast preview video. Have to work on the Track.^^

Update 10.October.:

Finished the mesh of the track and just started with a little support structure which will hold the track in the air.

Attached Files:

• rahmen1c.jpg
    • rahmen2c.jpg
    #19 NkosiKarbul, Oct 5, 2013
  20. M_Nation

M_Nation
    Expand Collapse

That's a shame about the support structure, it looked really cool. Are you still going to be doing some form of support? Or just a hanging track? Any other progress?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice