WIP BMW E46 M3 GTR Road/Race car (UPDATE 1/17/15)

Discussion in 'Land' started by luchvk, Jan 6, 2014.

1. luchvk

luchvk
    Expand Collapse

Release Date: [Delayed]

Hello Everyone!! :D

Thanks to a post by CRASH3R I was inspired to create a car for BeamNG Drive (What-would-be-your-dream-car-to-have-in-BeamNG)
    (My post on that thread)

THE BMW E46 M3 GTR!

Current Progress:

(imported from here)
    (imported from here)

(1080p images in attached thumbnails)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is my very first time modeling a car, so I may miss some things initially and I don't know all of the techniques of 3D modeling yet. Though this will be my first ever model, I am going to be meticulous with it. I want this model to be as accurate as I can possibly get it while maintaining a performance efficient model. So far I have the shape of the hood. Also, the road car will be its own independent model/car.

BMW E46 M3 GTR Hood Wireframe.png bmw_m3_gtr_detroit_60.jpg
    ( Verts: 164, Faces: 138, Tris: 276 )

This is the progress I have made so far after a few hours of modeling ( I know... I'm moving slowly ). I will give general updates on my progress with the model on Monday of every week (weekly updates ended on 3/31/14). Tips and constructive criticism are welcome and requested. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Weekly Updates Page Links: (1/13/14); (1/20/14); (1/27/14); (2/3/14); (2/10/13); (2/17/14); (2/24/14); (3/3/14); (3/10/14); (3/17/14); (3/24/14); (3/31/14)

Progress Updates Links: (6/19/14); (6/30/14); (8/18/14); (8/25/14); (11/4/14); (1/17/15)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To Do: ( (R)ed= Not Started , (Y)ellow= In Progress , (G)reen= Complete , (B)lue= Postponed )

Exterior

Front:
    - Hood (G)
    - Bumper (G)
    - Fenders (G)

Side:
    - Doors (G)
    - Mirrors (G)
    - Body (G)

Rear:
    - Fenders (G)
    - Trunk (G)
    - Bumper (G)

Other:
    - Roof (G)
    - Windows (G)
    - Detailing and Touch-ups (Y)
    - Wheels (G)

Under-body and Chassis

Chassis (G)

Drive train and Suspension:
    - Transmission (G)
    - Drive-shaft (G)
    - Differential (G)
    - Engine (G)
    - Suspension (G)

Other:
    -
    Other components (ex: fuel tank, brakes, etc. ) (Y)
    - Flat-bottom

Individual Models

Interior:
    - Race car interior (Y)
    - Road car interior (Y)

Other:
    -
    Race car specific details (G)
    - Road car specific details (Y)

Getting The Car In-Game

- Jbeam (Y) :confused:
    - Texturing(R) :confused:
    - Skins (Including NFS Most Wanted Skin) (R)

Attached Files:

• BMW E46 M3 GTR Progress 87 (1920x1080).png
    • BMW E46 M3 GTR Progress 100 (1920x1080).png
    • BMW E46 M3 GTR Advanced Render Final.png
    #1 luchvk, Jan 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    • Like Like x 86
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

Re: BMW E46 M3 GTR Road/Race car

Looking forward to this one :p

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  3. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

I hope your going to take some time over this and make it as close to 100% accurate as possible...thats what I really hope for..

• Like Like x 1
  4. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

I'm sure he'll do his best and whatever it looks like when done it will be good.

5. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

I hope the handling and performance will match up too thats what I want from these mods...near perfect copies of real world handling and power...

• Like Like x 1
  6. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

I want I want I want too. Just wait and see. Im sure this mod will be epic. Love the GTR's (and not R34 GTR's... can't stand them)

7. M3gekje

M3gekje
    Expand Collapse

I love this car, i have a model of it on a shelf in my room
    really hope to see this car finished in beamng

8. luchvk

luchvk
    Expand Collapse

Hello again, :)

At this point in time I am ready to begin shaping the front windshield and the roof of the car. Should I create another object and shape it to the car and line it with my poly flow, or should I extrude from the hood and shape it that way? I want to model the separate parts of the car so they are their own independent objects. This will also help me when I encounter other parts of the model in the future. :)

For now, I will create an other plane and line it with my poly flow. If in the future I learn it is better and more reliable to extrude, I will do it that way. Thanks in advance. :)

#8 luchvk, Jan 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  9. nandee

nandee
    Expand Collapse

The road car is one my favorite Beemer! The only beemers I like more than this is the 8 series and the E60. Hope you won't give up ;)

10. chevy65

chevy65
    Expand Collapse

Maybe I'm just weird, but I prefer the e36 over the e46.

11. SoHigh00

SoHigh00
    Expand Collapse

There is no right way to do it in my opinion. Do it the way it's more comfortable for you. :) I am curently working on my GT500 with your first method(create another object) But I had a struggle linig everything coerctly so I would suggest you do the extrude version and then cut at the VERY END the individual parts. I know I will be doing this method on my future cars ^^

Good luck! I am looking forward to this! Don't rush it, take your time and make it great! :D

12. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

hmm, another thread for a pretty nice car that won't be completed because the OP has never modelled anything before. and the OP won't know how to give it a N/B skeleton. It should really be a rule that you need a model MOST of the way complete and in game before a thread is made about it.

13. pf12351

pf12351
    Expand Collapse

Totally agree, Maybe even "Finished models only".

If this car ever gets complete (Unfortunately, I doubt it will) I hope it has the skin from Need For Speed Most Wanted. I cant make it myself, I dont know how. But first I will wait for this car to finish.

14. luchvk

luchvk
    Expand Collapse

Oh, don't worry about that. I'll finish this car and get it in game somehow. I'll just need a little help. :)

15. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

I don't mean to be an ass but I have to be skeptical as there are one hundred and four threads in the showroom section for vehicles; ninety three of which are unreleased, eleven are. That's a horrific ratio. For every nine projects, only one out of nine projects is complete. One complete project for every 8 incomplete projects. Sorry I'm skeptical but I just don't see this going anywhere. I'd love you to prove me wrong, but it doesn't often happen that way.

If you're going to complete this, have at it. I'd love you to.

16. luchvk

luchvk
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, I noticed that as well. That is one reason why I am more determined to complete this project. Keep an eye out. :)

17. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

The model is one thing, the JBeam is another. If the model is good then it's good to have a model. The project shouldn't be cancelled just because the original creator cannot completely do the jbeam on its own.
    We should just have a section dedicated to finished models waiting for jbeam work in which users that can make jbeams could pick a car and work on it.

And by the way I'm still doing my best to provide an easier way for that to be more user-friendly (see Real-Time Vehicle Editor). I know that currently my tool is still far from being complete but at least it's a start. And I'm not the only one. Two other guys are working on scripts to create a N/B structure from the 3D editor itself too (see MayaToJeam and Blender Script to Export Nodes and Beams).

Seriously stop thinking a project will just never complete because of the jbeam. Some people can do that part so any project can get to an end. It's only a matter of communication and collaboration.

18. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

I believe that's what SMCars.net is for :p

Second, I think you need to pick up more on reading comprehension unless you enjoy creating straw-men and arguing with those instead of what people actually say.

19. luchvk

luchvk
    Expand Collapse

I already modeled the shape of the roof by creating another object, but, after reading your post I extruded to model the front fender. I have to say that it would have caused more trouble than ease had I created another plane for that part of the car.

- - - Updated - - -

Hello :)

I have encountered a problem with blender. I'm not sure what happened or what I did. When I try to render the image area is blank. I have not moved the camera. May someone tell me what is going on if they know.

(I can still edit the car by the way.)

EDIT:

Never mind. Sorry about that. I've solved my problem. :D
    *phew*

#19 luchvk, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  20. luchvk

luchvk
    Expand Collapse

Hello, :)

The update for today is posted! :D

I've done a lot of work this week with the car, and it payed off! One of the large areas I edited from the previous post, excluding the rest of the car, was the actual shape of the hood. I cleaned up the poly flow for it and more accurately shaped the depressions on the sides. There is one more area of the hood that I have to model before it is done though. The front of the shell of the car is now finished and I can move on to modeling the side and back of the car.
    I have inevitably encounters some problems during the modeling process. :/

BMW E46 M3 GTR Progress 21 Problem Focus.png BMW E46 M3 GTR Progress 21 Problem Focus 2.png

I'm not sure if this a shading issue or if the vertices are poorly placed ( I have tried adjusting them ). Can someone help me with this so I can smooth it out? ( By the way, I have an edge split modifier applied to the model. The split angle is 60. I also tried increasing and decreasing this value.)

Also, can someone tell me how I efficient I'm doing with resources? ( See below first picture of update )

- - - Updated - - -

I will be posting a to do list on areas I need to complete for the model soon; and later for the jbeam.

- - - Updated - - -

(To anyone that sees this, I moved the weekly update for (1/13/14) to this post to reduce to size of the original post.)

*UPDATE* (1/13/14)

Hello again. :) Just as I promised, the new progress I have on the car!

BMW E46 M3 GTR Progress 21.png
    ( Verts: 2504, Faces: 1428, Tris: 2892 )

Here are some more angles! :D

BMW E46 M3 GTR Progress 21 Quad-View Wirframe.png

It's been a busy week for me. Though, I feel, I have accomplished much so far, it's not the end yet! :D

Stay tuned :D

#20 luchvk, Jan 13, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice