Outdated CRD Monster Truck

Discussion in 'Land' started by SealedGecko, May 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gameboy3800

gameboy3800
    Expand Collapse

so since it's no longer just the crd chassis, what will the mod be called from now on? just monster jam trucks?

2. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

Since a few custom paint schemes that never appeared on actual Monster Jam Trucks are also included, I think simply "Monster Truck" might do.

• Like Like x 1
  3. gameboy3800

gameboy3800
    Expand Collapse

sounds good to me.

4. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

So... Who wants to beta-test a few Escalades? ;)

Since there's a lot of stuff in the works, I don't want to delay this release any further and start gathering some feedback.

Only includes basic presets for the various bodystyles (i.e if the "escalade.pc" preset is chosen, the Escalade shell is activated with its default paint scheme Monster Energy. More paint designs can then be selected from the Vehicle Customization Screen).

Includes:

- Two new custom paint schemes for the F150 body (Perpetual Destruction by Mr. Self Destruct @ Sim-Monsters and nWo - New World Order by @gameboy3800).
    - Two new bodystyles (Soldier Fortune in its classic livery originally by John Dough @ Sim-Monsters, and a Cadillac Escalade shell with 7 selectable paint schemes, including @ROCKGODBOSS' Jester in Copper, Green and World Finals variants).
    - Swappable chassis designs, including @Fen's new CRD Chassis + Halo.
    - Various tweaks and improvements.

:)

• Like Like x 8
  5. gameboy3800

gameboy3800
    Expand Collapse

aww yisss...
    --- Post updated ---
    hey the tires actually make smoke to their actual size. did you do that?
    --- Post updated ---
    that is a sad lookin truck... so when do the bodies get a beam structure?
    also i couldn't find the standard black escalade or soldier fortune black ops.. was it not included in this pack?
    notice the tire. no lockup this time. but i think i know what's up. in ybr's video, the tires actually popped and looked deflated. i've never gotten that to happen unless the tire actually broke off. is it designed to not pop anymore? or am i just extremely unlucky?
    --- Post updated ---
    btw the tire did go back into place with no exploded internals. so not sure what's up this time. what is the tire pressure btw?
    --- Post updated ---
    strangely enough, the rear body bit also popped back into place after a weird landing on the tailgate. happened to me on the grave digger body once before as well.
    --- Post updated ---
    i'm not sure the truck is supposed to land like that...

Attached Files:

• BeamNG 2016-09-30 05-11-25-47.png
    • BeamNG 2016-09-30 05-22-19-00.png
    • BeamNG 2016-09-30 05-27-02-21.png
    • BeamNG 2016-09-30 05-28-36-74.png
    • BeamNG 2016-09-30 05-45-03-84.png
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

Yes, indirectly. It's a byproduct of the modified wheel torque repartition (now it's unequal between the axles to help reduce wobbling).
    When I'll get the time to work on a proper beam solution. The boxed crumple zones kinda worked, but also caused glitches and a plethora of side issues. The added structures tend to interfere with the chassis in a moltitude of nasty ways, so I took them off for now. When they work, they work ok: see screenshot for the crumple zones at work on Soldier Fortune: I hit a concrete wall @ 75km/h and the tailgate could deform reasonably well and cave in.
    Black Ops needs a complete texture redesign, but so far I haven't got the time to do this properly. As for the black Escalade... welll, lol, that was a joke! it was a 2 minutes job, it wasn't really meant for release... ;)
    The original mod had no TireSideReinfBeams nor TreadReinfBeams. Also, they were 16 spokes (current numRays is 30, almost doubled), which caused a bumpy ride at every speed. Without reinforcement beams, the tires could spike out and deform on drifts.
    12 PSI. See above, SideReinfBeams are quite rigid to prevent sidewall deformation under load, so the sidewall indirectly gained the ability to restore its shape elastically if the beams aren't broken. Will look for alternative solutions.
    The support halo is responsible for that. It can hold the weight of the truck and prevents collapse of the rear end.

Attached Files:

• tailgated.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Big Ron

Big Ron
    Expand Collapse

Tested your monster truck today and I love it. It feels pretty nice and can crush cars as I expect it. Also, suspension and vehicle behavior work like a charm. Thanks for your work.

Funny side note: if your watch carefully at the cars the truck is rolling over, you will notice, that sometimes the roof beams of the cars are flexing back into normal position. Quite the opposite of what metal normally does when it bends.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

You're welcome.

Even though I think the truck still drives hilariously bad despite the improvements... ;)
    Yep, official cars have rigidifiers on body panels.

When the truck is running over a car, pressure applied by the rolling wheel is more than enough to compress the beams of the roof, but since that force is applied for just an instant, the beams aren't deformed permanently. As a result, they can occasionally pop back into position.

9. gameboy3800

gameboy3800
    Expand Collapse

i actually did want the escalade. maybe make it the shiny pearl white it was that one world finals.

Attached Files:

• F1c3e120-0e9a-49bf-99ce-bf0c92169344.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Iro

Iro
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

I wish I didn't have school now. :(
    stupid little brother who is "to sick"

• Like Like x 1
  11. HumanTarget

HumanTarget
    Expand Collapse

Did this happen to anyone else?

Never mind, cleared cache and its fine now.
    Do you have to remake the premade options for the shells every time you update it.

#751 HumanTarget, Sep 30, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

No, but this time I have to, since the chassis is now separate from the "main" slot. The previous presets would have spawned the truck with no chassis option selected.

Besides, I'd like my default images to look coherent, so until I learn how to use the showroom, I need to remake all the thumbnails every time... :rolleyes:

Also, yes, forgot to mention it. Clearing cache is FUNDAMENTAL for the new version to work, due to the extensive modifications to the meshfile.

• Like Like x 1
  13. HumanTarget

HumanTarget
    Expand Collapse

14. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

Who knows. :)

I'm a single man with a young kid (who loves monster trucks, by the way), with a full time job (and by full, I mean REALLY full), so bear with me. This mod is a mess, even with all the good effort I could put in it all these months, but still, I can't devote all of my time to it. The 3rd chassis is big enough of a task to have my hands full for at least a few days and that's the main priority right now. I owe it to @ROCKGODBOSS who was so kind to model it specifically for all of us.

I don't want to make any promises. The JBeams for the shells might be next if I can get them to work as expected, but even then, deformation will never be that realistic as the shells are a single mold (so there's just so much I can do with beams and triangles if the mesh underneath isn't really designed for soft-body physics) and shouldn't really deform on impact, but rather get scratched and sheared under strain, all types of damage BeamNG doesn't simulate just yet.

• Like Like x 2
  15. HumanTarget

HumanTarget
    Expand Collapse

16. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

I'm testing a workaround solution for the uncontrolled deformation of shells.

I'm linking the flexbody to a safe nodegroup that is too well protected to be involved in any kind of impact (the four nodes around the IPS seat).

This way the body would simply... not deform at all. Not the best solution, but at least the mesh won't stretch and spike horribly like it does now...

• Like Like x 2
  17. HumanTarget

HumanTarget
    Expand Collapse

I have no idea what you are saying, but it sounds professional. :D

18. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

Quite the contrary. ;)

It's a cheap expedient to workaround the issue untill a proper solution is developed... :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  19. HumanTarget

HumanTarget
    Expand Collapse

Hey, as long as it works right? XD

20. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

It works exactly like the current version: the shell has no beams on its own (except for the overhanging parts, such as the turret in Soldier Fortune or the roof-mounted horns in El Toro Loco).

Right now the body ends up stretched because it's linked to the chassis (to all of its nodes, to be precise), so when the chassis deforms (and it DOES deform on impact), the body mesh is bound to deform too, but since there are no beams, deformation is uncontrolled.

By linking the body to the nodes on the floor (imagine a square around the driver seat), the body mesh would only deform when the beams produced by these nodes deform. Which is pretty much impossible. Basically, if you hit a concrete wall with the truck, fiberglass will come out unscathed, instead of glitching out.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice