error importing layer maps (solved)

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by torsion, Oct 29, 2015.

1. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

I've successfully exported a Height Map of a terrain from the BeamNG/T3D editor, along with layer maps (Texture Maps). I've got my scaling figured out and can import the Height Map back into a new terrain that's scaled and sized correctly.

Adding "Texture Maps" with or without Channels assigned to them crashes the editor. Even if I export a Height Map and Layer/Texture Maps together and then immediately attempt to import the unmodified files, the game crashes. I tried moving the files around to the /levels folder and inside the folder for my level (so in this case /levels/hillclimb), this had no effect.

Here is what shows up in the log:
    Code:
     61.36630|E|Resource<class GBitmap>::create|failed to open 'C:/Users/Profile/Documents/BeamNG.drive/hillclimb_layerMap_0_Grass.png'
     61.36632|E|ResourceBase::assign|Failed to create resource: [C:/Users/Profile/Documents/BeamNG.drive/hillclimb_layerMap_0_Grass.png]

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Scepheo

Scepheo
    Expand Collapse

Make sure your layer masks are in both C:/Users/Profile/Documents/BeamNG.drive/ and C:/Users/Profile/Documents/BeamNG.drive/mods/levels/levelname/. Although I'm not sure which of the two you have to select then, so be sure to try both.

3. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

Thank you Scepheo! That was the trick. I've actually been working on my level in the C:/Users/Profile/Documents/BeamNG.drive/levels/levelname directory until now. Unless someone tells me otherwise I'll now switch to using C:/Users/Profile/Documents/BeamNG.drive/mods/levels/levelname for development.

Of the two locations you gave, the one which works for importing is the /levelname location.

4. Scepheo

Scepheo
    Expand Collapse

I've been doing my map development in BeamNG.drive/levels/, for the simple reason that that's where the T3D editor saves mission files by default.

5. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

Ah, yes. After doing some more work on that level I see that BeamNG is saving updated files back over in BeamNG.drive/levels/. I'll move back to doing that and just use the other path for importing texture maps.

Just one of those quirky early-in-the-dev-cycle things I suppose.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice