General computer talk/advice

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by BlueScreen, Jan 25, 2015.

1. HDR

HDR
    Expand Collapse

Price isn't bad actually.

2. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

That is why I could not let it slip past me, even though it is not 6700k, just basic 6700, but it might still be tiny bit faster than i3-6100 in Inkscape, difference won't be too big as Inkscape wastes cpu cycles like nothing and can use only single core for moving objects. I have few complicated objects and it means I click arrow to right, wait around 30 seconds, then repeat, until object is at correct position.
    There just is not enough fast CPU to run Inkscape, unless you have very simple objects, but still it is free and can do wonderful things if you are patient enough.

Last time I took heavy machinery brochure in pdf form, imported one page to Inkscape and took few profile pics from there so I could use those in blender blueprints, brought inkscape to it's knees completely.

3. TromboneWalrus

TromboneWalrus
    Expand Collapse

So I got bored and tried to hackintosh my computer and it actually worked. I used a 6700k, 16gb of ddr4 and intel 530 graphics.
    ScreenShot2017-01-20at100042PM.png

I tried using my 1070 after and it "worked"

I'm probably not going to actually do anything with it, but now I guess I can say my rig runs mac OS X :p

4. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

You know you have an old monitor when you have to wiat for the CCFL to heat up for it to be bright, its an old Sony monitor.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

Professors both love my naming conventions in code and hate them. Love it because its easy to follow and the chosen words make good sense. However I always get it to tell awful stories. If you’re dealing in hierarchies, for instance in an animation engine, basically your pelvis is the parent object and your leg, for example, is a child because it animates relative to the pelvis. So you create functions to build hierarchies, and because I'm building a tree of parent-child object relationships I call it "MakeFamily()". This function adds children to parents, it expects a child object to be passed to it. I call that " expectedChild". If you get an expectedChild, add to expectantParent. The issue they have is when an unexpected child is passed, my error handling gives you the opportunity to Abort().

Its because I design my code to tell stories that are analogies to what they do. The problem is that innocent words like child, family, native etc gain unexpected connotations around computing terms like abort, terminate and execute. My good intentions have come out with fantastic accidental dark humour in code. but frankly, when my code reads like
    if(box(i)->DoesCollideWith(worldObject(n)){doStuff;}
    I'm not sure if I should ditch the convention.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Deleted member 1747

Deleted member 1747
    Expand Collapse

It would be relatively easy to buy a new CPU and motherboard and install them providing the motherboard is the same size right? I don't really have enough money for a whole new build but I may have the money for an Intel 'board and CPU. I would literally put it in the same case with all of the same components which will work (obviously like storage PSU etc) and then just do a fresh install of Windows, and would it be worth it to upgrade from AMD to Intel? I have never done that degree of physical work on a computer as I only got to the point where those skills would become useful a few years ago, when I got into PC gaming. I know I could Google this but I want clarification from an actual active reply where I can ask more questions than some confusing article.

7. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

Possible yes but i would buy new ram too espacially if you want a skylake cpu or kabylake

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

If you upgrade to a newer intel platform you will need new RAM. AMD means DDR3 (until Zen brings DDR4) but intel is already on DDR4. You will also probably need a new windows license because of the new motherboard, but you may be able to call and activate if you still have the code and it isn't from a prebuilt PC. Additionally you might want a better PSU but that's up to you.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

You may also want to simply wait and see what AMD zen brings. There's alot of hope for it being quite good

• Like Like x 2
  10. Deleted member 1747

Deleted member 1747
    Expand Collapse

I would've likely upgraded to whatever I chose after that came out, anyway. They sound pretty good from what I've heard so far.

11. Deleted member 1747

Deleted member 1747
    Expand Collapse

DDR4 seems to be quite expensive :/

12. FS16

FS16
    Expand Collapse

It is - which makes it quite useless considering there is not much difference to DDR3 in gaming.

13. Deleted member 1747

Deleted member 1747
    Expand Collapse

I guess it will be cheaper and more common in maybe a year?

14. FS16

FS16
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, a year ot two.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Deleted member 1747

Deleted member 1747
    Expand Collapse

Good, that's when I will probably upgrade my PC.

16. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

17. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

All ram is expensive right now. DDR3 production has basically ceased because of DDR4, and DDR4 hasn't gained enough market share yet to become cheap.

I remember when I bought 8GB of DDR3 for $30. Times were simpler back then.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Blijo

Blijo
    Expand Collapse

I was planning to add 8gb to my laptop to get 16gb( is possible) checked the prices... €50! Really, wtf. I can get 16gb ddr4 3000 for €92...

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. CTJacob

CTJacob
    Expand Collapse

So... am I crazy or would the new Intel G4620 Kaby Lake Dual-Core 3.7GHz be decent for my RX480 build?

It's $97 compared to the $197 i5-6500. The speed difference between them isn't THAT much for $100. Going dual core in this day and age does scare me however.

Alternatively, for $10 more (~$200), I can get the brand new i5-7500 Kaby Lake.... ~10% performance for ~$10.

Alternatively, alternatively, for $7 less than the 6500, I can get the i5-7400 which is the same performance wise.

20. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Personally I'd go for a 7350k then overclock the pants off of it.... But the 7400 is basically the same price and has 4 physical cores.

It's important to remember that the Kaby-Lake Penitums now have HyperThreading (I believe, anyway), so they'll perform close to an i3, if not on par.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice