General discussion

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by Car crusher, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Trupoller

Trupoller
    Expand Collapse

It looks like a Camry if you look in a faster way.

2. Captain. Adam

Captain. Adam
    Expand Collapse

That's what I thought but I toke a close look and noticed that its a Toyota Corolla

3. mtslittow

mtslittow
    Expand Collapse

4. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I guess modern times happened, now it only matters if it is new or not, everything has to be uncluttered modern look (sterile look), if it is new it must be better than old, updates are what people live for so waiting for the update is everything and if there is no update it's nothing.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" does not fit to modern ideology.

Of course this modern way is something I really don't like much, but my guess is that is what has happened to one of the best guidelines of life.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Rainvest

Rainvest
    Expand Collapse

6. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

The majority of the time newer stuff does get better. Whether it is better in a way that you like may be a different matter since in reality everything is a compromise, sometimes newer products take a different approach with different compromises. But as long as whoever is making it has a prerogative to make it better it usually will be, providing some level of basic competency is involved.

However "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" doesn't apply to fashion and never has.

Personally I really dislike that phrase since it seems to neglect the fact that functional objects can fall anywhere on a massive slider of how functional it is, as opposed to being either broken or not broken. The phrase is often used to justify laziness since it is used in the context of "as long as its barely functional, why bother to improve it", since for something to be "not broken" it only needs to meet the lowest expectations of what it is required to do. The phrase assumes that it would be impossible for someone to come up with a better idea so don't even bother trying to think about improving it.

It is the very embodiment of complacency. Because hey, a 120kbps internet connection is not broken, so why fix it? etc.

7. Googlefluff

Googlefluff
    Expand Collapse

Airplanes have to be repainted every ~10 years anyway, so "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" doesn't really apply very much. Sure you could just paint them the same, but why not change it up? I'm just not a fan of what they went with this time, though I wouldn't call it sterile modernism. It's pretty retro. I think your glasses may just be tiny bit rosy.

8. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I don't think same way, for example with fashion it tends to be change because of change, not because there being a any practical reason for change.

So computer OS usability has gone down a lot, because of fashion there is now lot of software that are designed for touch screen and for not to be multitasked, so UI design is one thing where change because needs to be new in sake of being new has really set things to worse.

Of course here is again different personalities, some value visual aspects more than practical aspects, others value practical aspects over visual ones.

With mechanical stuff traditionally change has brought issues, so saying has very solid reasons for existing because change usually has made more work to get things to work again than what ever savings or improvements change would of brought.

For example in computers, if there is single error in log, which really does not cause any harm to operation, it is bit pointless to spend possible tens of hours to get things working again after fixing that one issue, but so many times especially young enthusiastic guys will get on to task and attempt to fix such thing, in business world that is waste of money so again saying has a place.

Then again, I think fashion is something that would could not exists, it is really something I could live without, but then again I'm enough old to not care even a bit about trends and such.
    --- Post updated ---
    There is no need to paint it with new scheme, at 54 I'm not quite as agile as I used to be and I do like things that don't change, new things come and disappear a lot, some things don't change and don't disappear so much, of course some new things come and stick too, but what comes to design and paint schemes etc. I don't see much other value in this constant change, but to be able to say it's new after change.

Well, generations after generations things progress same way, first you are excited about all new, then you start to see not all new is really quite so nice and at some point don't see much point in most of new, cycle of life or something.

9. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Fashion generally tends to change because people change over time, their ideas and thoughts will change, they will get bored of things etc.

Computers are not being designed for touch screens because of fashion, its because that is how most people interact with computers these days. As far as I can tell its because people prefer to use their computers sat on the sofa in the living room, on the go and in the kitchen. A laptop isn't always practical for these tasks because they are large and bulky because they need space for keyboards and trackpads etc. Hence touch screens seem to be popular, equally to a lot of people they seem more intuitive and easier to use.
    While I am not a fan of Win 10 I would say that usability has gone up in the form of allowing more people to use a computer, whether that be accessibility or simply people who are not used to computers. However I do feel that Win10 hasn't done a great job of catering to all its users, only the casual users with a few nice additions for more hardcore users, however for me I prefer the Win7 experience. I think Win10 could be great but I want to see more stability and customisation out of it first.
    I would argue that an example of an OS that has been working wonders is Android though. Gingerbread was clunky and a bit ugly in stock form, however fairly functional, but most people could not figure out how to use it so its functionality was worth nill. Kitkat changed the design language to a darker themed one which was pretty nice, still not great though for the average users, now nougat the UI is very easy to use and the OS has gained functionality for expert users too such as having two windows open at the same time.

The biggest change with computers is user centric design. Today it is expected that a computer system should be designed around its users. In the past it was expected that users would learn how to use a system. Both have benefits and draw backs, just like doing things locally vs on the cloud. Eventually people will figure out how to get the best compromise of both, until then it will be zig zag progress as opposed to pure forward progress. But either way things are moving forward.

I also don't think your error analogy really works, since it was in the past that people made sure their software was bulletproof before release. These days people just push out whatever and patch it later, often while charging a subscription fee for the pleasure, software as a service in a nutshell.

I think most issues are cause by cost cutting. Both in mechanics and computers. Products are not tested enough before they are released and as such will often fail over time. As far as the manufacturer is concerned "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" since the products are not failing them in any way, people still pay for the products (and likely pay again to buy a new one). This is one of the things that software as a service promises to fix, however in my opinion it is fighting the symptoms and not the root of the problem. But at the end of the day the products are still getting better with each new one released.

[/massive_ramble]

10. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

Martin Luther Kang

11. fivedollarlamp

fivedollarlamp
    Expand Collapse

I forgot to tell you guys my experience at the 2017 Philly Auto Show. It was pretty good, I saw a concept Toyota, and I wend to the Dub show too

12. Sunset Drive

Sunset Drive
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

-enormously loud slapping noises-
    -stop laughing-

13. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Started playing Cities Skylines again recently. Decided to tack an area onto one of my existing cities.
    20170226011155_1.jpg 20170226011218_1.jpg 20170226011300_1.jpg

Roundabouts bro xD
    20170226005635_1.jpg
    The older section to the centre right is far more of a maze than it looks at first. The curved housing at the top centre was last night.

In reflection it may have been a better idea to do the commercial and residential as follows in order to keep commercial traffic close to the motorway. But oh well, it looks nice as it is :p
    city.jpg cityCurrent.png
    I guess the upsides with the implemented system are that residential is kept away from the major railway and gets better motorway connections...

#29493 aljowen, Feb 26, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Googlefluff

Googlefluff
    Expand Collapse

You, sir, are better at city planning than me :p What map is that? It looks good.

15. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

I'm confused.
    I bought this game thru the humble bundle link on the home page, but I have it on steam. Was there a mix up or is that humble bundle link just a cheaper steam key?
    I bought it before it was sellable on steam.

16. Dunkleosteus

Dunkleosteus
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

I found a dumb image I took. I removed the slide from my trombone and put the mouthpiece directly into the bell receiver.
    I don't know why, but it's kinda funny.

Works fine, except for the fact that I just turned it into a natural trombone.
    Heh.

17. Godzilla!

Godzilla!
    Expand Collapse

Vegas is by far is the laggiest program on the computer. it crashed trying to add audio to a 1-second gif and started a usage runaway on my computer's ram (it went from 800MB to 6GB in a minute before I killed it with Task manager).

looking for a fix atm.

#29497 Godzilla!, Feb 26, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  18. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=590130671

Its a pretty neat map. From memory there is a slight issue with boats clipping through the highway bridges but that isn't particularly uncommon.

19. Sunset Drive

Sunset Drive
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

-loud car starting noise, then backfire, then a lot of cursing-

20. Yama

Yama
    Expand Collapse

Hi everyone, someone is playing Avorion?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice