WIP Beta released 'Giant Chain' for coupling two vehicles together v08

Overhauled Giant Chain!

1. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

It's OK, but we are supposed to be discouraging folks from using the "old way". If you have a reason for avoiding the standard mod installation there are other better ways - send me a PM if you want. I keep all my mods installed the normal way (zips in the mods folder).

For the "Giant Chain" here is what you must do:
    1. Create a vehicle. Add a standard tow hitch.
    2. Create a second vehicle. Add a standard tow hitch to this vehicle as well.
    3. Create a third vehicle (the "Giant Chain").
    4. Drive the first vehicle around near one end of the chain and press the "L" key on your keyboard. Move your hitch near the end of the chain.
    5. Do the same thing with the second vehicle and the other end of the chain.

2. Ajsski99_TCU

Ajsski99_TCU
    Expand Collapse

when i press "L" nothing happens??

3. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

Then [assuming you are correctly following the instructions] there's something wrong with your keymap / bindings. Do one of these things:
    1. Go fix your your bindings in the options. (Controls > Gameplay > Couplers)
    2. Do a clean re-install. The instructions for a clean re-install are at the bottom of the initial post over here.
    3. Delete the Documents/BeamNG.drive/Settings folder to reset your settings.

4. Ajsski99_TCU

Ajsski99_TCU
    Expand Collapse

where can i find the controls menu?

5. 1UZ-FE

1UZ-FE
    Expand Collapse

I do drag and drop straight into the mods folder, this one instance I hadn't, having a 17 hour shift really threw me off that day.

#25 1UZ-FE, Aug 7, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  6. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

Press the "ESC" key while in game (eg not from the main menu). > Look for the D-pad on the lefthand sidebar.
    Ouch, that'll do it.

7. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

8. SilverWarior

SilverWarior
    Expand Collapse

Hey @torsion do you perhaps have mind reading ability? I wished that a mod such as this one does exist just a few days ago when I was playing with giant flail and using it as a makeshift hook by sticking it to other vehicles using various methods like spawning inside another car or loading it onto van box.

• Like Like x 1
  9. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

torsion updated Torsions Vehicle-to-Vehicle Couplers with a new update entry:

parts and configs

Read the rest of this update entry...

10. boostedsnail21

boostedsnail21
    Expand Collapse

when i spawn the 5th wheel one is is just a normal one, same with the others they are all normal ones

11. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

Only the couplers are different, the mesh is the same. You can either use the configs or the parts menu to change the couplers (there are additional options in the parts menu). Once you switch to a vehicle with a hitch (such as a ball hitch or fifth wheel) and press "L" you'll see the corresponding colors for different types of coupler. Note that both male and female ball hitches are the same color - this can be confusing. See below for an image showing what the ball to fifthwheel chain should look like.
    screenshot_00338.png
    --- Post updated ---
    I've just submitted v07 to the repository. This update affects only the D15 parts.
    • Renamed "short chain - female" to "Short Towstrap (Female)"
    • Added very basic flexbody (mesh) to "Short Towstrap (Female)" so it's not invisible anymore. Tweaked jbeam to accommodate my mesh.
    • Removed "Tow Hitch - Female" from D15. I can add this back, but I doubt that anyone was using it since "Short Towstrap (Female)" is generally better. This had just become unnecessary cruft in the menu at this point.
    I've attached the update here as well.

Attached Files:

12. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

torsion updated Torsions Vehicle-to-Vehicle Couplers with a new update entry:

minor tweaks

Read the rest of this update entry...

13. boostedsnail21

boostedsnail21
    Expand Collapse

oh now I see, thanks a lot for the help man! I appreciate your help and support.

• Like Like x 1
  14. wearyNATE15

wearyNATE15
    Expand Collapse

i used towhitch female for towing cars

15. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

Did you try "Short Towstrap (Female)" and still preferred Tow Hitch - Female" ?

16. wearyNATE15

wearyNATE15
    Expand Collapse

yes because it is a direct connection.. kinda like how you have a car on the back of the rv

17. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

Those use a towbar...

18. wearyNATE15

wearyNATE15
    Expand Collapse

its still a solid connection and not a rope

19. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

I'd say that "solid connection" is where the similarities stop. The vehicle wouldn't be towed backwards or with a direct connection like that. The bar spaces things out and allows the car to effectively become a trailer. Maybe someone should do a tow bar mod. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  20. ZoliGamesHD

ZoliGamesHD
    Expand Collapse

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice