Released Idealcar - Suspension Example Vehicle

Discussion in 'Land' started by Goosah, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

This is a simple vehicle which I would not even call a mod so much as more of an functioning jbeam example. I use this vehicle to experiment with changes in suspension and steering geometry, to test the differences in feel between tires, things like that. I think it can also be helpful as an example for modders on how to create a working vehicle with "ideal" suspension, similar to what might be found on an open wheel race car. Unlike the official cars, there aren't thousands of extra beams for body panels and such which can make it difficult or overwhelming to see whats going on. Just hit K and you will see the front suspension beams highlighted.
    screenshot_00348.jpg
    The vehicle is designed to have an easily controllable weight distribution, nearly identical suspension geometry front to rear, steering with correct ackerman and no bump steer, ideal placement of brake and engine torque reactions, and generally a maximized stiffness to mass design.

Feel free to use parts of this jbeam however you like.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 23
  2. GatheringAgate

GatheringAgate
    Expand Collapse

Hey I know this car! It's the Chrome Special from Burnout Paradise Limited Edition.

• Like Like x 4
  3. ktheminecraftfan

ktheminecraftfan
    Expand Collapse

It feels like an Ibishu covet it even shares the same engine.

4. falefee

falefee
    Expand Collapse

Kinda like the Chrome Car from Paradise.

• Like Like x 3
  5. ryder2341

ryder2341
    Expand Collapse

I cannot believe I wasn't the only one to think that this looked like the chrome car from Burnout

• Like Like x 1
  6. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

Question: What kind of suspension is this?

7. falefee

falefee
    Expand Collapse

I know right! I'm a huge Burnout fan so this made me download

• Like Like x 1
  8. 1MBStudios

1MBStudios
    Expand Collapse

Does beam still not have the ability to have macpherson style suspension?

9. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

It has had that ability since 2014. But this is idealcar, thus no macpherson struts in sight ;)

The 200BX, both generations of Pessima, the ETK800, and the Sunburst all have macpherson strut suspension.

• Like Like x 1
  10. 1MBStudios

1MBStudios
    Expand Collapse

I guess it's been a while since I've looked into mods haha. Last time I remember looking through vehicle mods, everyone was doing double wishbone setups in jbeam, while modeling the cars with macpherson to make it look right

11. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

If you have inboard discs, the torque reaction from the braking occurs at the chassis (ignoring the effect of any joint angles in the driveline between brake and wheel) which means the nodeCoupling and nodeArm should both be on the chassis. The "ignoring joint angles" part means this idea doesn't work that well for wheels that also steer. But this is something we are working on for the future.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

Ah, judging by your interests in rock crawlers, your "inboard" disc is probably on the pinion of the solid axle? In which case its not really important, you are probably better off to put the reaction nodes on the steerable hub nodes. The end result will be accurate enough since we can treat the solid axle as a rigid body.

edit: I missed the part where you said wishbones. I would place the reaction nodes on the hub as is done with other cars, for performance reasons. It would be up to you whether you can live with having the visual brake meshes in a different location for now :p

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice