WIP Beta released Perryville - Iteration 1.4

Discussion in 'Terrains, Levels, Maps' started by Occam's Razer, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Occam's Razer

Occam's Razer
    Expand Collapse

This is Perryville.

screenshot_00013.png
    screenshot_00014.png

An urban area in the eastern Rustbelt, the location has seen economic highs and lows, increasingly the latter in recent years.

screenshot_00015.png
    screenshot_00016.png
    screenshot_00017.png

This map is purpose-built for car chases and role playing, with a loading dock, gas station, parking complex, and several tight fits to hurl your car through. Nearly all textures and models are custom-built.

Please bear in mind that the map is greatly unpolished and unfinished, and I am saying this as a stern warning. Do not expect a complete product. About a third of the total surface area of all building facades is untextured, I'm still not sure about the average city block size, none of the present objects feature LODs, and the city only occupies a very small portion of the landscape.

As such, any feedback, especially with performance concerns, is greatly appreciated.

Update: Michigan Circle and Michigan Avenue is more completely polished, the river area now has a wall and is mostly bridged, lights, signs, and other small objects and decals are now prevalent throughout the downtown.

Attached Files:

#1 Occam's Razer, Dec 9, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  2. youdidwhat!!

youdidwhat!!
    Expand Collapse

Re: Perryville

looks good must be stolen
    just kidding
    looks like a promising map

3. JAM3SwGAM3S

JAM3SwGAM3S
    Expand Collapse

Looks awesome so far :D a city is what we definitely need good job

4. boshimi336

boshimi336
    Expand Collapse

This looks awesome! Have you considered a drive-in 'wall of death' for one of the city-blocks?

#4 boshimi336, Dec 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  5. Jujune

Jujune
    Expand Collapse

Would be cool if there is no vegettation in a FPS version because vegetation is killing my toster...ehm... i mean computer.

Looks really good finally a little city for BeamNG :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. BBQ

BBQ
    Expand Collapse

Is the city going to be bigger than it is in the picture? I hope so :p

7. Occam's Razer

Occam's Razer
    Expand Collapse

Thanks everyone for your compliments.

I was actually briefly worried that if I might get the 'must be stolen' reaction, especially if I developed too much more prior to unveiling.

I don't think so, as it doesn't seem fitting to the theme. I've already stretched reality in order to cut down the retaining wall on the parking complex to send-vehicles-barreling-off-the-roof height.

Vegetation doesn't handle too well on my machine, either, but I did plan to add moderate amounts of trees and grass where appropriate. Don't worry, I'll keep it subtle, else I'd have trouble playing it.

I'll probably just focus on finishing what I've got for now. If I manage to advance the current content enough, I'll grow the city out. I've already got plans for the Old Village to the North, the Industrial Park to the SouthEast, and the river to the West. We'll see.

8. jeepracer98

jeepracer98
    Expand Collapse

Amazing! Can't wait. I've been waiting for a city map, and this looks really good. Good work.

9. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

USUALLY people can tell if it's stolen or not, and stolen car meshes are way more common than maps. I didn't ever really have a doubt in my mind that you made this.

10. Autofan

Autofan
    Expand Collapse

Very Nice, I haven't seen very many city maps, looks like a good place for car chases once there added in game.

11. KingCatLXIX

KingCatLXIX
    Expand Collapse

Reminds me slightly of the small map from Rigs of Rods, the little town/city one was it called pennyville or something, not quite sure...

12. go14smoke

go14smoke
    Expand Collapse

It was called Penguinville I think. :)

13. Occam's Razer

Occam's Razer
    Expand Collapse

The early, almost skeletal idea for the map was to build an urban area, and add a conclusive, linear stretch of road gravitating away from the map's center. The plan was that, in car chases, the road (referred to in my vocabulary as "the Escape", usually a bridge or tunnel) would be used as the setting for the climactic final act of the chase, and provide a practical finish line that the escapees must cross to win.

The original Escape is a freeway extending Southwest from the city center, immediately visible in the first screen (the road the Grand Marshall is on being the Westbound side). As -and if- the city grows outward, I may be able to add a few alternate Escapes to the level, making car chases less predictable and more dynamic.

14. Autofan

Autofan
    Expand Collapse

That is a great idea. Should be fun :D

15. Sempr'ab Ti

Sempr'ab Ti
    Expand Collapse

Midtown madness come back soon =D

16. jackeo21

jackeo21
    Expand Collapse

I loved that game, especially number 2 :D

17. Occam's Razer

Occam's Razer
    Expand Collapse

Update in first post: 1/8/14, replacing placeholder buildings, glass curtain walls on skyscrapers, new sidewalk treatment.

18. Occam's Razer

Occam's Razer
    Expand Collapse

Update: 2/5/14

It's been a month, but I have worked on getting the Landscape ironed out. Still a far way from done, but most of the big things are underway or complete.

View attachment 19725
    View attachment 19726

19. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

will definitely be trying it out (although, probably won't be playing beamng for as long times as i usually do, as gta v is expected to be released on pc in earlyish march, so ill probably be playing that quite a bit, but will still mess around in beamng of course (nothing can match the excellent physics in BeamNG, other than RL, which doesn't really count, because its RL)

20. Carrythxd

Carrythxd
    Expand Collapse

Well daym, this looks promising! Ive been wanting to get a map like this for BeamNG :D
    Hoping to see more updates soon! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice