WIP Beta released So-Cal Interstate Highway ver 8 discussion thread

Discussion in 'Terrains, Levels, Maps' started by bob.blunderton, Apr 25, 2016.

?

What's your favorite part about BeamNG.Drive freeway driving (select up to 3)?

Poll closed May 17, 2016.
  1. The flat, open straight-aways for maximum speed.

56.3%
  2. The winding corners to challenge driving skill.

32.3%
  3. The interchanges, intersections, and other junctions.

54.5%
  4. The cliffs to fall off of at high speed to bash the car's fluffy-stuff out.

22.2%
  5. The ability to use this for police pursuits, vehicle takedowns, and other AI-related things.

56.3%
  6. Missions that make use of the highway and highway driving.

15.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Wolfie Mcburgen

Wolfie Mcburgen
    Expand Collapse

Could someone please tell me HOW to install The Nevada Interstate or So-Cal? I've tried the mods folder, the vehicle folder, even the cache folder, literally everything I could imagine, but shit just aint' workin.

2. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

First of all, there's a fresh, slightly upgraded (and bugfixed) version of So-Cal here:
    RC3 LINK https://mega.nz/#!OFckjY5C!iTTt_nG-Bxd9aXBOefCGivVMfaXZyq6jYVKGHKEQP9c
    Second of all, the ZIP files go in beamng.drive\mods\levels folder. (thats where maps go, there's also a levels\vehicles folder too)
    Release 2 (RC2) version of my map required also having Nevada Interstate's zip file in there too, this one shouldn't.

3. toxichero

toxichero
    Expand Collapse

im still getting stuck at 99% datablocks :(
    --- Post updated ---
    so i got the map working but it still needed the other map to run
    --- Post updated ---
    i have found another small issue that i have resolved. the map sutters like all hell if its not on a ssd. after changing it stoped all togeather other then the original stutter

4. Shadowdragon94

Shadowdragon94
    Expand Collapse

ive managed to accomplish one of the things you can use this map for..getting lost! i got lost about 3-4 times,and i am suprised by the amount long,cruising road,very soothing to be cruising in a 53' Burnside doing 55 in a center lane in evening time in the game.

5. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Okay, I will look into this. I'll see if I can bring up another level of debug on the game - and I think I know just where I can do that. Thanks for reporting this. On the bright side you get two different maps. This was designed on an SSD, so no lag here, but BeamNG.Drive doesn't stream data so well quite yet. If you have low ram and or a slow drive, you're going to get hitching, especially driving fast. With games only getting bigger, and worlds larger, and textures more defined, the days of the hard drive for housing games are numbered.
    I am glad you could get it to run and that you had an SSD available. I hope you enjoy the map and again thanks for letting me know.
    Yup, you definitely can get entirely and completely lost. Just keep driving though, eventually, somewhere, you'll come across a highway. The highways take you everywhere and anywhere, just about. There's an outer loop, an inner loop (they share about 5 miles of highway), and a deviation of the inner loop that heads straight west over the mountain until it meets the outer loop. Lots, and lots, and lots of highway, roadway, and a bit of trail (because I am still adding more). Future versions will be more populated/furnished. There's a map, of this map, on page 3 of this thread. Just look for the white-on-black picture, it has 92~95% of all the roads (everything but the 5 miles of sideroad added in RC3).
    On the bright side, you can run up to 7~8 vehicles + AI on a late-model i7 cpu, before the frame drops down too low to enjoy.
    Glad you enjoy it. Keep an eye out for future versions of this map. One day I hope to have the dependency problem resolved... 'doh!

Hrmmm... pre-release game... and a just-released map beta :x *BOOM* Fun times!

6. Blijo

Blijo
    Expand Collapse

you may want to change the description in: Do you like it? GET LOST!

7. Wolfie Mcburgen

Wolfie Mcburgen
    Expand Collapse

I finally got it to work by making a mods and levels folder and putting the ZIP there.

8. Specht77

Specht77
    Expand Collapse

Sorry for the long time to answer, but the notebook I tried the mod has 8gb of Ram, I believe it's using the x64 version, is it by default x64 or I need to change something?

Reading the thread I also tried the RC3, and as some guys pointed out, it still isn't standalone, and after downloading nevada it works just fine

I also saw you guys talking about stutter using HDD, strangely I have zero stutter even over 250km/h, and I was playing on a notebook with 5400rpm HDD

The only stutter I had was the first time I loaded the map, it was freezing like hell for about 1 minute, after that it run just fine

9. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

There's just something to be said, for that quality of being able to get lost in a driving game with only mountains and highway embankments to block your view.
    It's entirely handy to have the compass APP in the 'app configs' open and running when playing this map. The version on my computer has (only) two more miles of roadway/trail added past the adding of 5 miles to RC3. This pushes road mileage to over NINETY miles of road. That's not counting miles of single-lane exits, either. This will easily have 100~120 miles of road, highway, and trail when it's done. I make no guarantee that I can fit 105 or more miles in it reasonably, as over-doing it would really ruin it. I did add more flooded/jump areas to the map tonight, so those folks that enjoyed the jumps over flooded roadways will find fun in the next release when RC4 comes out. For those that don't like destroying the car all the time, there are fairly reasonable trails designed to go around these new jumps.

More work will be done on a nightly basis, so expect updates on a weekly or bi-weekly schedule. Remember, buildings and non-essentials will be done LAST, so those working on buildings needn't rush things.
    I will try to get more pictures of the current work I've been doing put up before the weekend. --Cheers

10. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

New update tonight on the map progress, I should be able to make this version live in another day or two.
    The new update will feature 102 MILES OF ROADWAY IN IT (not counting single-lane on/off ramps). MOAR windy mountainous road stuffs, too :)

More flooded roads, more jumps, and a road that's mostly just straight/slight bends for a good 3 miles, 4 lanes for plenty of room.
    The windy mountain road goes for miles and miles. It's about 4 miles on one side, and 6+ on the other end (of the four lane, which is where each section's terminus brings you). It's easy to take these roads sequentially, but I added a road or two back to the center of the map so you can get UN-LOST. I have added a bit more details to the terrain, nothing major just working on it as I finish up the areas.

No buildings, no lights, no trees, no signs yet. Remember where I mentioned putting out the low detail edition FIRST.
    May I remind everyone that while I shoveled all the money into the cpu etc, I only have a radeon HD 7850 2gb (R7 265), it's getting OLD, so please don't be picky about the detail levels, as they should be sufficient to not detract from the map for now.

--Cheers & happy BEAMiNG!

So, pics for those who are interested: *not all of the new bridges have abutments or pillars yet, they will in a day or two before this is uploaded.

Update: There were dependencies on Nevada Interstate lingering around that I missed when I created the level. I used my forensics software to find this stuff. There were a total of 6 dependencies in particle data, windmill farm prop, and sfx desert wind packages. I corrected this, so yes the next release SHOULD be stand-alone, but I'll have a tester confirm this when it's uploaded (or failing that, whoever downloads it 1st could kindly let me know). On-track to have a download link up within 48 hours or so. I need to work the AI into the new roadways which isn't very easy, since it's going to be waypoint based and will require some 50 or so waypoints for a 3+ mile chunk of windy road in RC4, and a 2+ mile chunk of windy mountain road that made it into RC3 (the way I hacked in the AI doesn't allow me to work with mesh roads on cliffsides like I did).
    When I get the download link posted, I will look into putting this upload on the Beam forums soon thereafter.

Attached Files:

• 20160524010414_1.jpg
    • 20160524011150_1.jpg
    • 20160524011203_1.jpg
    • 20160524011249_1.jpg
    • 20160524011436_1.jpg
    • 20160524011459_1.jpg
    • 20160524011547_1.jpg
    • 20160524011802_1.jpg
    • 20160524011810_1.jpg
    • 20160524011823_1.jpg
    • 20160524011842_1.jpg
    • 20160524012116_1.jpg
    #70 bob.blunderton, May 24, 2016
    Last edited: May 24, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  11. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

RC4 is up and active. Check the link in the opening post (OP). Things to be on the lookout for is anything blatantly missing, chunk of road etc (unless it's past a wip sign), as the deletion bug strikes now and then in this editor (program bug). Should be independent of Nevada now, there were still 6 references in RC3 that are fixed in RC4. Check the 1st post for the link. Proper abutments (bridge end support walls underneath) have been added as have pillars to most things, though there's still some 'floating' spans here and there, I got most of them so far. The few that remain are mostly because I have work to do in the area anyways so I will get to that as I get time.
    There should be no 'bugs' or other undesired bits. You can get stuck in the end of ramps if you bungle the jump and fall short, I left it as it's rather hilarious. Most all the new jumps should be do-able (meaning, you land on the wheels, the high ones will still kill the car but just left them in for fun). Arcade-ish jumps in a game built around realism won't leave the car live for too long, obviously. Overall, there's more flooded roads, more miles of fun, more jumps, more 'smooth' sections of road (though some bumps and uneven-ness remain in just a few spots)...
    Check the 1st post (OP) for the link to RC4 as stated above. 102 miles of road and counting. More trails and just a few miles of road coming in the next version, and possibly will start adding some buildings and such. There's two dead ends near each other on the south side that must be linked, and one on the north side to be completed until it hits another main road. The rest of the additions will be trails/structures. I will post RC5 when I get the base network completed (all the roads), before I do buildings, so that the low detail version (current one I am running is only low-detail) is completed 1st. This way only the high-detail folks are waiting on things.

12. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

I've added approx about 9 miles of dusty trail to the map, with plenty times more than that to come. I'd like to put atleast 20~30+ miles MORE trail in (there's a bit over 10 miles in now, with what I just added tonight). Plenty of mountain-hugging goodness + will have AI support, too. So not only to you get to watch YOU fall off, the AI will probably fall down now and then too. There's a few more open areas of trail, but most of it is either winding around between the mountains or going up/down them hugging them like donkey paths in a foreign country. Lots of beautiful views to be had up there, though. Guess I'll have to hurry up and add in some rocks and such to the terrain (it needs them, badly, it's awefully plain). I have lots more trail to add, luckily I should be done with that within the week or there-about. The AI routing needs a bit of touching-up.
    R-rock having traction of asphalt is to be fixed before this is updated (that's the fancy mountain-side texture). Regular rock is fine.
    some pics...

Attached Files:

• 20160603000511_1.jpg
    • 20160603000624_1.jpg
    • 20160603003939_1.jpg
    • 20160603004115_1.jpg
    • 20160603004249_1.jpg
    • Like Like x 5
  13. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

RC-5 is being uploaded now with 115+ miles of roadway (same amount of highway ~ 42.4 miles, 63 miles of surface road, 11.7 miles of trail). MAJOR smoothing has been done, all the roads that threw the car around have been fixed. If they are still too uneven in spots at the speed limit or a reasonable estimate there-of, let me know. There's still going to be more trails, as this is merely a sample of the trails to come.
    Again the reason for the update is the smoothing that has been done. This should be quite a bit of fun for everyone now.
    The jumps on the north side have been re-adjusted, and you can make ALL of them now with a Pessima 'Race' or something similar.
    A few of the high spots in the highway have been trimmed down a bit. The harsh banking on a few highway corners has also been fixed up and should be much smoother now. All in all, I think everyone should be pleased at the surface quality now. ALL of the uneven four-lane surface roads have been smoothed up nice. Some banked corners were refined to be a little more realistic on some other roads, too.
    AI pathing was added in where there was none before on some of the new spots. The unfinished pair of roads on the south side have been connected (near the two arched highway bridges). The low-detail version is getting quite close to completion. Lots of terrain surface touching up has been done to the mountains to get rid of (or cut down on) glitchy-looking or just bad-looking mountain-sides and peaks. A few of the remaining dodgey on/off ramps that sent the car careening have also been addressed. If you find any, again, post a pic or two.
    Look for the download here:
    https://mega.nz/#!3R8BgQQZ!KJS_tMDtXCtGxP8PolWWwYbAWRjOJOKn5SFfN4pxOrQ
    It's also updated and listed in the 1st post.
    DON'T hit the guardrail near the starting point. Please don't. You'll be sorrryyyy... It's a test.

#73 bob.blunderton, Jun 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  14. wikchi

wikchi
    Expand Collapse

15. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

RC6 is going live and will be featured on the MODS>Maps/Terrains/levels section. There's new concrete roads and 2 new pavement textures all for the highways. Almost 5 more miles of roads/paths (4.5) bringing the total up to around 121 miles total, not counting single-lane on/off ramps into the mileage totals.
    FEATURES INCLUDE 50% FPS BOOST in gpu-limited situations (most of us) by using .dds texturing. Added another mile of median to the highway, too. It's getting closer to done (low-detail done, high detail is another story). Should run better, filesize is down to 269mb vs 408mb compressed.
    I will upload this later.

RC6 is downloadable through the official MODS page now! So follow through this link for more! Yay!
    First 'public' map release for me on a mods page for this game (vs only the forums).
    You may continue to report bugs to this forum page here.

http://beamng.com/resources/so-cal-interstate-highway-115-miles-of-road-path.891/

Fans of Nevada Interstate, don't despair, I haven't abandoned that map either! That will be FPS-Boosted & updated to fix the invisible wall bug in 2 spots. So look for an FPS boost there in the near future, too.

Lest I forget here: Most Importantly, Many thanks to all the beta-testers for checking things out and generally being a pleasure to work with. In the future, look for buildings, occasional trees, and some other things to be added to this map (as there will be a later high-detail version with those 'non-essentials' added).

#75 bob.blunderton, Jun 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  16. coreyeyre

coreyeyre
    Expand Collapse

This map is very well done and visually stunning. I especially love the off road cliff trails!

17. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

"The Quality of workmanship update" is in progress:
    I have gotten roughly half-a-dozen miles of highway re-graded, of about the 20~30 miles of highway that needs regrading. More trails will likely come too, eventually - but the highway improvement gets done first. Less uncalled-for bumps, more speed - it is a highway after-all!
    This map was mostly completed already when the new terrain sculpting tools-update in the mapper came out, so I am bringing this highway up to snuff. It can be so much better than it was. Instead of roughly banked -or worse, unbanked turns, smoothing somewhat more drawn-out corners are replacing them. While this doesn't really increase highway mileage counts, there is 2~3 new miles of surface road laid down, in effort to complete the two road-stubs that were never implemented/finished up. Also, there will be a bit more guard rail added as I work on certain sections.
    Missing median/central reservation dividers will also be installed, as they never got put in when they should have.
    This won't really change FPS or loading wait-times for the worse (or better), but is more a Quality of Workmanship update.
    Going to see to improving some of the textures, as some of them are rather 'bland'. If you enjoyed the tight highway hairpins (as tight as a highway can be), do not fret, they are still there, just much improved and that much more realistic.
    Why, you may ask? Because I CAN, and therefor I SHOULD, and am going to make this map even better.
    Time until this becomes available should be sometime in the middle of this month, atleast a week or week-and-a-half away.
    I will most likely do a test-run of railroad track over the next few days sometime, I'll let you know if it works here or not.
    Some pictures to back up the words (they're each worth a thousand words, they say, and that means I don't need to type a wall of text).

--Cheers!

Attached Files:

• 20160702112654_1.jpg
    • 20160706050655_1.jpg
    • 20160706050709_1.jpg
    • 20160706050821_1.jpg
    • 20160706050858_1.jpg
    • 20160706050909_1.jpg
    • 20160706051038_1.jpg
    • 20160706051046_1.jpg
    • 20160706051131_1.jpg
    • 20160706051238_1.jpg
    • Like Like x 2
  18. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

Seeing this kind of makes me wonder if modded campaigns will be a thing and what the capabilities will be. Despite having a computato that can't even load the game without barfing its guts out, I've already got an idea for a Tokyo Xtreme Racer-type campaign set here... complete with a final battle set to this:

And a completely stupid twist ending from nowhere that could be used to lead into sequels.

19. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Great song! Used to listen to it a lot in my teens and 20s. Remember when it was new. Tom Petty had a few Chart-Toppers. I don't really do missions (yet!) but will be getting to that at one point, surely! I do plan on having some races, some best times-from-a-to-b type of thing. I have to do more research into how to make/produce missions and game content, somewhat waiting on Campaign release though, of Beamng.drive. If that doesn't show for a month or two chances are I'll make them anyways. It's not right around the corner but when Tennessee is done, I'll most likely do that. There will be a quality-of-workmanship update to this before the end of the month (hopefully!).

Awesome, glad you liked the trails. It's fun near the cliff because you can fall down, quite far in some spots. Tried hard to get the cliffs/mountains looking right, so thanks again. There will be a quality-of-workmanship update to help out some of the poorly banked corners, smooth out some rough spots of the highway, etc. So check back in two weeks or so. I may put a few more miles of trail in, though.

• Like Like x 1
  20. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Version 7 is coming. Gone are the mandatory super-duper-steep hills, bypassed with a smoother more realistic main road (but, I left most of them so that if you want to go CAReening off them, you can! They are good for that. These side roads are also banked where I've re-done them (realistically banked!).
    I've already re-banked a good 15 miles of the highway, now with less steep/sudden transitions up and downhill, and banked ALL the corners where it's been done. Also installed K-rail median (jersey barrier) in the center of where I've re-done it (in places where there's less than 60 feet between travel lanes, or close anyways!). Pretty sure it's mandatory wherever it's less than 30 feet separation.
    Also, new design on two of the bridges, beautiful pour-in-place solid concrete arches that only need 20% the object units that the pre-stressed concrete beams do.
    Removed some instances of BUSH-IN-THE-ROAD (tm) where they shouldn't be. Planted asphalt there instead. No more having to water the road, yay!

Some pics of the up-and-coming version:
    Any complaints/ideas&recommendations/general screamage etc; let me know!

Attached Files:

• 20160723195044_1.jpg
    • 20160723195115_1.jpg
    • 20160723233306_1.jpg
    • 20160723233332_1.jpg
    • 20160723233409_1.jpg
    • 20160723233430_1.jpg
    • 20160723233517_1.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice