1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Weird performance issues considering PC specs

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by LiamXO13, Jan 20, 2017.

1. LiamXO13

LiamXO13
    Expand Collapse

First off, Let me say that I apologize if this has already been asked and answered. I did some digging around and couldn't really find anything related to this so I figured I'd make a post about it. The root of the question is pretty much why can I not run this game properly at 4k with all settings maxed? This may seem like a dumb question but ill start by saying that I am a PC guy. I am playing this game on my custom built rig that hauls through any other 4K game I can throw at it with the exception of beamNG.

For those interested, here are the specs. I am not going to post everything, just the big stuff that impacts FPS and the like.

Processor: Intel I7 6700k Skylake at 4.0 GHz
    Ram: 16GB of 3466 MHz DDR4
    Graphics Card: EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 SC
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-z170X gaming 7
    CPU Cooling: Corsair H105 liquid cooler
    Graphics Card Cooler: ACX 3.0 cooler from EVGA

And I play on a big ol' 4k monitor.

Everything else such as Battlefield 1, Fallout4, Doom 2016 etc, all run just fine at 4k. while a second 1080 could improve my frame rates I usually have no issue getting a solid 60 with the single one I have.

Now we are going to go further into the issue with BeamNG. with SSAO turned off, its a solid 60 like I'm used to with frame rate limiting on. but the moment I turn SSAO on with the high setting I get a solid 50-53 FPS and if I look at a program such as GPU-Z, it shows full load and extremely light memory usage. The other thing It shows is a Performance cap due to voltage. Which is strange considering I have a 1000 watt PSU.

Heres a screencap of GPU-Z http://imgur.com/a/gQ1wT

Essentially, I have no idea why I am struggling to run this game given the specs I have and why the GTX 1080 which hauls through everything is having a performance cap put on it related to voltage when my PSU should be more than enough. Especially when people like WhyBeAre and Insanegaz are very easily running it with the same settings and a 980TI in WhyBeAre's case and I believe a last gen Titan X in insane's case.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks for giving it a read,

Liam.

2. Inertia

Inertia
    Expand Collapse

This game is a lot more demanding than other games, primarily because it uses realtime physics as opposed to simple damage models, or none in the games you listed. It also isn't an FPS, it has to load a far more detailed vehicle than a simple first person model, and also calculate how the model moves when nodes and beams interact with the environment and themselves. Not to mention this is still in alpha, and graphics enhancements and performance optimisation is still in the early stages, and gets better every update. Dynamic reflection can also put a massive hit on FPS, so you may find turning the settings down there helps significantly. Keep in mind that this kind of game is very different from anything else out there, no other games simulate vehicle-wide physics in the depth that Beam does :)

3. IBsenoj

IBsenoj
    Expand Collapse

I still think he should have a solid 60 with his specs..

heck, I get 60 on 1080p with high graphics with my specs!

4. Inertia

Inertia
    Expand Collapse

Yeah it does sound as there might be a few issues there, I'm interested to hear from others who run at 4K.

5. LiamXO13

LiamXO13
    Expand Collapse

And thats also part of where I run into an issue. It seems like not very many people run this game in 4k

6. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

Running BeamNG at 4k is pretty damn hard to do, mainly because of engine limitations and lack of optimisation.

One of the biggest things is the way it handles LOD models. Essentially (as far as I know this is still the same) all the models in the distance are loaded depending on the number of pixels they take up on the screen at a given distance, at 1080p they load in pretty reasonably within a few meters of your car, this is the resolution its designed to work with. However at 4K it will have 4 times the amount of pixels for each object meaning the draw distance is more or less multiplied by 4, which of course ruins the frame rate.

Running it on medium to high is probably a better idea, also be sure to have "faces per update" in realtime reflections down quite low as this will tank any GPU on max.

• Like Like x 1
  7. LiamXO13

LiamXO13
    Expand Collapse

I actually have realtime reflectio
    I actually play with the realtime reflections turned off due to the performance hog they tend to be. And the textures in my game don't really load in properly at high res until I'm reasonable close to them. For example, grass does not display at all until I'm probably fifty in game feet away from the surface the grass is one, and the tree texture pop in is pretty bad. I have to be really close to a tree in order for it to not look super low poly. In addition to this, the stripes and the road textures get blurred in front of where I'm driving and don't really display at a high resolution until they are right in front, and behind my car. This happens in other titles such as For a Horizon 3 as well and I haven't been able to find a setting that changes it. I have reinstalled the game and my graphics drivers and am pretty much out of solutions at this point.

8. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

Hmm, that does sound like something else is up with it then.

Try this:
    Launch the game, in the main menu press the HELP button. Go to the performance tab, press ALT-O and that will open a page. Copy the link of that page and paste it here. That should show you more details on what exactly is wrong or bottlenecking your game.

9. LiamXO13

LiamXO13
    Expand Collapse

I will do that the moment I get home. Thanks for the help so far :)

10. LiamXO13

LiamXO13
    Expand Collapse

Alright. I did what you said to do but nothing happens. Windows just makes its little error noise. Help

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice