original thread containing high-res images can be found here: WIP - 1955 Burnside Suit | BeamNG
As a sideshow relative to their ever-famously luxuriant Burnside Special, a couple of years after to its release, Burnside had developed what was essentially its brokeboi little brother: the Burnside Suit.
The name was a double entendre of sorts: while it was primarily intended to evoke imagery of businessmen in well-fitting, tailored suits that could be worn for both work and just generally spending time outside, the designers of the Suit also had something else in mind; this car was intended to be business-like in a purely practical sense, and so it was not very luxurious, but it was still "Suit-able" for the masses.
After the great success the company had with the Special, they figured that people would eat up the Suit, seeing it as a luxury-brand car engineered for widespread adoption by the "common folk." However, in the decade defined by grandeur, opulence and post-war prosperity in America - as was commonly demonstrated by most cars developed in the 1950s - the Suit, with its significantly smaller trunk and even fuel tank, its pathetic excuse of an engine, and the great liberties its architects had taken with regards to cutting numerous corners with respect to the interior of the Suit, only ended up being portrayed by auto magazine reviews and dissatisfied customers alike as though it were a flat-out antithesis to the zeitgeist of the time, as well as everything which people had loved about American-made cars back then.
Unsurprisingly, for better or worse, the massive loss Burnside suffered both money-wise and reputation-wise ended up being one of the biggest nails in the coffin for them when it came to the decline they had been going through since the previous decade or two, and it is said to this day that, had the idea of the Burnside Suit been scrapped, perhaps Burnside wouldn't have needed to close its doors after it hit rock bottom with Chapter 7 Bankruptcy only a decade or so after the Suit's debut in 1955, like what had happened to Studebaker.
- MUCH less chrome!
- More rounded D-pillar (I wanted to try and make it look like the more basic cars of the 1950s and such so I tried to make it look less fancy or whatever by getting rid of the indent that was present on the D-pillar of the regular Burnside
- REWORKED INTERIOR! It has that fresh new POVERTY LOOK!
- No clock!
- Fabric Seats/Carpet (with body-colored option,too!)
- No chrome trim around the whole interior!
- No "B" logo on front door panels!
- The weird grate-lookin thing under the radio that I assumed was aircon or a fan atvl is gone, as well as the radio's old preset buttons above it (now it's just a strip of metal!)
- Matte black (no chromes) gas pedal! Kinda looks like those in my car (in my avatar image, with me beside it lmao) except no ridges even, ngl
- ONLY TWO GAUGES - the bare essentials: fuel and speed! (I was considering no fuel gauge so that, to check the gas level, you'd have to use the dipstick like the Trabant, but I felt that going that low was too low)
- No floormats, and body-colored flooring is now just cheap, featureless dark grey carpeting!
- No passenger-side sunvisor, fender signals, hood ornament, or even trunk ornament (or whatever that chromey thing on the trunk could be considered - maybe a handle for opening it? idk)
- Dim as hell lights!
- Custom Lettering!
- Totally compatible with (most) skins, and any other Burnside parts that don't involve anything behind the backlight!
- THREE separate configs!
- Many parts, several of which can also be used on the vanilla Burnside Special!
- Very thoughtfully written out detailed descriptions for each config!
- Custom JBEAM nodes!
Lemme know what you guys think! This is my first actual vehicle mod (as in, custom 3D model and stuff not like engines or configs lol), please go easy on me as I know the modeling isn't perfect! Thank you for reading and downloading!
Beta 1955 Burnside Suit 1.02
A failed utilitarian economy sedan, from an era where everything auto was about looks and luxury
- 0.23 Fixes Nov 15, 2021
- Accidentally included files from another mod of mine in the original zip Feb 1, 2021