Play with dynamic traffic on whatever map you want! Yes, you heard me right. With this nifty app, you can spawn in a bunch of cars (however many your PC can handle at once), and make them act like traffic. You can also use the Vehicles menu and hand pick your favorites for traffic! There are a handful of other settings to try, and some of them are a bit crazy. You'll be playing with this for hours!
This app was actually a lot of work. As of Version 1.1, I put in about 40 hours and 1200 lines of code into this baby. I even outsourced some beta testing (testers, don't forget to delete the old version!). While I made some breakthroughs, I also ran into several bugs that I honestly can't fix. So, a little warning! Some maps or situations may not work as expected! Read on:
Bugs & Glitches
- West Coast USA is a mess! Some areas work well, but sometimes, traffic may drive the wrong way. Seriously, I tried for so many hours to get traffic to behave all over this map, but I've come to the conclusion that the map's roads and road data need to be reworked. Looking forward to the future!
- Traffic stupidity. You'll see a fair amount of it. Silly AI!
Well, this was gonna be a secret, but I can't contain myself. If you spawn in police cars as traffic, then they can chase and stop you! It's really cool. If I did it right, all stock police vehicles will work, and some custom ones, too! (The config file has to have "police" in its name.)
Watch the video for a visual quick start!
To use this app, subscribe or download it like normal, and then open the UI Apps menu while in Freeroam (press Esc). Click on the Plus symbol, then select "Traffic Tool" (scroll down). You should move it to a nice place on the screen. There, it's ready!
Here's a quick guide of the functions:
Special thanks to my beta testers, especially @crashmaster for the app idea and @fufsgfen for the detailed observations. Also, thanks to the community for the ideas, support, and... everything!
- Total # of AI Cars: Set the amount of vehicles that you want the app to spawn in. Avoid high numbers if your PC isn't the best.
- Select (*): Set the traffic group that the spawner uses! This is a new feature; if you don't see this small button, clear the game cache. By the way, the Custom group is an incomplete feature (see discussion thread).
- Spawn: Spawn the amount of vehicles in front of you. Warning, lag!
- Clear: Delete all AI vehicles and start from scratch.
- Activate: After adding new vehicles, click this to let the script work its magic. In certain cases, you may need to click on this to refresh the script.
- Speed Limit: Set the speed limit of traffic. It gets subtly affected by various road types (lower speeds on dirt roads). Metric or imperial?
- Respawn Rate: Set how often you want traffic to respawn dynamically. Higher values can give you more traffic encounters, and is recommended for maps with tight road layouts. Zero prevents all respawns!
- Color Mode: Specify how traffic vehicles get repainted after respawning. Unchanged: They don't. Standard: They get a nice vehicle color. Random: They get whatever color the RNG jester comes up with.
- AI Mode: Set the AI behavior. Normal is pretty much traffic, and the other crazy modes do what they say. Disabled will stop the traffic script from running.
- AI Awareness: Try my janky AI awareness mode. AI drivers will be aware of vehicles in front of them, and can pull over for emergency vehicles. This feature is a work in progress!
- Delayed Respawn: Try this option if you don't like how AI respawns quickly after you pass them. Great for videos and stuff! May not work well with really high Respawn Rate values.
- Minimize: Yup, you can minimize the app if you want!
Discussion thread: https://www.beamng.com/threads/traffic-tool.60967/
Traffic Tool 1.1.1
It's here! Create dynamic traffic on almost any map!