1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

0.10 Update: Sounds Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gamer Alex (AlexKVideos1), Aug 9, 2017.

1. Gregory TheGamer

Gregory TheGamer
    Expand Collapse

Can we use the SoundGroup parameter in jBeam files again to specify a sound to an engine on the new powertrain system?

2. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Yes, I thought it wasn't just me, but I took my 03 corolla down for some smokes a few minutes ago, (stock, though there's a hole just before the muffler in the exhaust), and it's pretty quiet on the inside, it's not nearly as much bass as these vehicles are. I mean, it's like a 4cyl, 1.8 (IIRC?, it's bog-standard, automatic, yes I prefer manual, but whatever). I do understand racing editions will be louder and have more bass, but the cut-off frequency is a bit higher on the inside, with less bass (lower freqency).
    Maybe it's just too loud on the inside (engine sound, the starting sound is a bit quiet).
    The piano... oh the pianoS, lots of PIANOS. Can barely here them until I put 6 of them in :)
    You guys are tops. I love it. Coyote moments galore!

3. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

We obviously bought and mixed them.

• Like Like x 1
  4. supra4life

supra4life
    Expand Collapse

Yes! I completely agree with all of those points you just made

5. enjoyinorc6742

enjoyinorc6742
    Expand Collapse

go get your own recordings. you guys have devs all over the world right?

6. Gamer Alex (AlexKVideos1)

Gamer Alex (AlexKVideos1)
    Expand Collapse

You think it is that easy to record sounds? You got to be joking, it is more cost effective if they just bought them. Do you have any idea how recording sound works? It is not as simple as putting a $100 mic next to a car.

#26 Gamer Alex (AlexKVideos1), Aug 10, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 4
  7. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

If it was that easy, we would have done that. We'll have a blogpost about sound soon :)

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

I know just how hard it is to get a good sample of something unless it's another digital instrument and you have a good sound card and a cable between them!!! Money well spent sir! No regrets there, just needs a little sound-level balance and a bit of fine-tuning, but for an alpha version, I am totally cool with this investment, and glad you guys ponied up for it.
    The new engine sounds, and even the piano crash sounds fit right in on my "Tail of The Dragon" map :)

• Like Like x 3
  9. Copunit12

Copunit12
    Expand Collapse

Im just going to say this. The current engine sounds are a bit too quiet. But because of the similarity of sound between my 2015 Jeep wrangler and the D series (of all vehicles) is very accurate. But sometimes realism needs to take a step back for enjoyment. Remember when engines overheated in a half mile for a economy car with a high performance radiator because I do. But if you were to push vehicles like that with a keyboard or floor it (for controllers-steering wheel players) constantly in 100 degree weather you could overheat a vehicle like that.
    Edit: All I'm saying give us the option to increase the volume of the vehicles engine. I have all the audio maxed out and I can barely hear any of the engines besides the generic Dirt bike engine in the SBR4 twin turbo.(lol)

#29 Copunit12, Aug 10, 2017
  10. supra4life

supra4life
    Expand Collapse

WHY is everyone causing a huge deal over the dang sounds. they are SOUNDS. this game is far from complete. so what if the sounds are alittle off. We are lucky they even added sounds at all! Yes, the sounds are a bit quiet in some places but that will be fixed soon

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. enjoyinorc6742

enjoyinorc6742
    Expand Collapse

spawn the T-series and drive it around. the sound for it is atrocious. I'm surprised they used the sound they did.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Very well said. The BeamNG community is finicky for sure and people seem to forget this update is the very first generation of sounds
    using FMOD for real. I for one love these first gen sounds for the most part. Even at this early stage they make a huge impact!

Be patient people, it only gets better from here:cool:!

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. Copunit12

Copunit12
    Expand Collapse

I'm just putting my input. without jamming up the probably more important official audio feedback page.

14. TROPtastic

TROPtastic
    Expand Collapse

Because the sound system is work in progress and the devs themselves requested feedback about it? It's not a hard concept to understand, believe it or not. People saying "X vehicle's sounds could be improved" is much more useful than people saying "it's alpha, it will be fixed soon!!!"

Edit: I made a quick video comparing the sounds in Forza Horizon 3 to the WIP sounds in BeamNG.drive which I think really illustrates the difference in audio "character" and richness between the two games. While FH3 is not a 100% realistic game, it really gets the audio mix right when it comes to its cars.

#34 TROPtastic, Aug 10, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Spaceballs the Username

Spaceballs the Username
    Expand Collapse

FH3 also has a much much higher budget to be able to go out and physically record sounds for their cars. BeamNG had to buy 3rd party sounds and mix them in house.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. coolusername

coolusername
    Expand Collapse

I guess you used keyboard for the cars in the video?

17. supra4life

supra4life
    Expand Collapse

I have to admit, you do have a point there. I noticed the horrible sound for that.

18. TROPtastic

TROPtastic
    Expand Collapse

Absolutely, and I definitely don't expect the BeamNG devs to go out and record real cars unless they get a large cash injection in the near future. However, if the sound samples they bought are good, they should have the ability to remix them to sound more like the FH3 car in the video. What would also be a good improvement in the future would be having significantly different sounds for the front and back of vehicles, but that may require some additional changes to the engine.

Controller, actually. In FH3 I just held down the handbrake button and revved the nuts off the 240SX, while in BeamNG I changed the shifting to "realistic" and floored the throttle while in neutral.

19. Gamer Alex (AlexKVideos1)

Gamer Alex (AlexKVideos1)
    Expand Collapse

Even if they couldn't record real sounds, the sounds they have aren't that good.

Not to brag, but I think my sounds are much better, compared to the muffled, highpitched sounds some of the super cars have. The devs really need to work on them more!

20. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

no offense, but i personally disagree, other then the t-series (which just doesn't sound like a semi-truck at all, at least not any that i've heard) they chose perfect sounds, and the volume is perfect, yours is turn down the volume loud. as for muffled and high pitched, muffled because most cars (including the one you made the video with) have mufflers, which, as it happens, muffle the sound so that it doesn't cause everyone to go deaf, high pitched, the car you showed off with has a turbo, the high pitch is likely the turbo whine

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice