1. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

0.19 Discussion thread | Use Safe Mode before reporting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nadeox1, Apr 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Copunit12

Copunit12
    Expand Collapse

You do know that's ABS which on most vehicles can not be turned off after what the 1990's. Unless your talking about the stability control which before the hotfix was a bit intense on the Vivace (idk about after since I haven't really tested it yet).

2. seth-m

seth-m
    Expand Collapse

ABS stands for anti-lock brakes. That system only activates under braking, not under acceleration. That's not my problem. I'm saying stability control/traction control does not fully disable when you disable it using the drive modes. Those systems work during acceleration.
    --- Post updated ---
    There is an ESC/TC mode that says OFF. If it says OFF, i expect it to be OFF. That's all I'm saying. Yeah, you can rip it out, but you shouldn't have to rip it out when you can just turn it off. I don't want to create custom configs for every vehicle to have that stuff removed.

3. ClassicMike

ClassicMike
    Expand Collapse

IIRC that's the EDiffs.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Copunit12

Copunit12
    Expand Collapse

So after some testing yes you do keep some ECS, TC and stability control if you don't remove it just like real life (I've almost fell into a creek because of it not being able to turn off 100%).
    But it's like 5 clicks to remove it since it's one option to remove all of it (I do think abs need's to be it's own thing but whateves).

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. robert357

robert357
    Expand Collapse

There is the "issue"

For me the only issue is there is no tunning options when we remove D&S module. But like I said, bam bam and done, "problem" solved.

6. default0.0player

default0.0player
    Expand Collapse

IRL: Traction control reduce throttle and brake the slipping wheel;
    BNG: Traction control reduce throttle, ediff brake the slipping wheel.
    AlsoIRL: Some vehicles ESC-OFF keep TCS on or switched to brake-only TCS

Explanations here:
    Assume your vehicle is stuck, both of the right wheels are spinning and both of the left wheels are stationary. The ESC may believe that you're doing a left-hand donut and ESC will reduce throttle, which is not good when getting stuck. So you hit the ESC-OFF button. If the ESC-OFF also disable the TCS you won't be able to unstuck because there's no brake to the slipping wheel. To get unstuck, the ESC should be off and the TCS should be on. Thus a lot of vehicle IRL, espesially AWD with open diffs, TCS is on and will do brake-only if you hit the ESC-OFF button. In Beam.NG, the eDiff is the brake-only TCS, and Drivemode:ESC&TC OFF is "ESC & TCS reduce throttle" off.

#686 default0.0player, Apr 22, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. seth-m

seth-m
    Expand Collapse

They're just normal, open diffs. Modern traction control in passenger cars works by braking the wheels that are slipping, which simulates a mechanical limited slip diff. The slipping wheel is resisted by the brakes, so power transfers across the diff to the other wheel. Toyota calls this "Auto LSD", like in their current RAV4s.

8. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

Sorry I don't understand the issue. If you set the Drive Mode to "Off" the only electronics left there is the AWD system which will dynamically control the center clutch as well as the eDiffs, nothing to do with brake or throttle based traction control...
    Ofc you can also rip out the entire electronics, but then you also lose the full AWD system, the gauges, the dynamic brake lights, post crash brake, etc etc. Why would you do that if all you want is to turn off the ESC/TC?

9. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

Not quite, the eDiffs are part of the AWD system really, the traction control can both reduce throttle AND brake wheels.
    So you could possibly end up with both the eDiff AND the TC braking wheels at the same time.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. seth-m

seth-m
    Expand Collapse

I don't rip out ALL electronics, just the "Driving & Safety Electronics“. Gauges still work. Are the electronic diffs not listed in the tree? The Arsenic I was last looking at only said it had an open diff, didn't say it was electronic. This also effects FWD vehicles and they don't have center diffs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. default0.0player

default0.0player
    Expand Collapse

Sorry I almost forget that the new drivetrain with driving modes are still a WIP.

If I understand correctly if the new drivetrain are compeleted and fully implemented, there will be:

Electronic diff brake(eDiff): Already implemented since 0.19.0. It do brake the slipping wheel when applied to an open diff, to improve traction and cornering handling.

Electronic Active limited-slip diff: Currently not implemented in 0.19.1. A mechanical differential(not a splitshaft) paired with an electronically actuated clutch pack. For a vehicle w/o AD, only the slipping wheel will be braked, for a vehicle w/ AD & TCS on, the slipping wheel will be braked and the diff will limit-slip, for a for a vehicle w/ AD & TCS off, only the AD will limit-slip and no brake.

Torque vectoring: Currently not implemented in 0.19.1. By changing the diff torque bias(vehicle IRL use complex gearings), even the faster wheel can be more "torquey" to improve handling and traction, it can also limit slip like a traditional LSD. For a vehicle w/o TVC(torque vector control), only the slipping wheel will be braked, for a vehicle w/ TVC & TCS on, the slipping wheel will be braked and the diff will send more torque to the gripping wheel, for a for a vehicle w/ TVC & TCS off, only the TVC will send more torque to the non-slipping wheel and no brake.

#691 default0.0player, Apr 22, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  12. NOCARGO

NOCARGO
    Expand Collapse

I think Nadeox made a joke on that, Grind :)

13. 95Crash

95Crash
    Expand Collapse

Oh yeah, I remember now.

14. Cento186

Cento186
    Expand Collapse

One point here is that all FWD models have eDiffs that cannot be switched off, from the base model all the way up.

Firstly why can't these be turned off when the mode is set to off?

Secondly IRL the eDiffs are usually reserved for only the higher performance models in the range, for example Golf GTi and Cupra 280. I personally think it would be more realistic for the lesser FWD models to not have the eDiff fitted as standard and just make do with TC.

15. default0.0player

default0.0player
    Expand Collapse

Not really, eDiff has nothing to do with differential, it's part of AWD/traction control. Since ABS & ESC are already mandatory, eDiff has NO additional cost, therefore "reserved for only" does not make any sense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Confused_Deer43

Confused_Deer43
    Expand Collapse

These ferns on ECUSA have some texture leftover which I'm guessing shouldn't be there
    upload_2020-4-22_9-41-0.png

17. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

Yep exactly. Electronically "locking" differentials are purely software, once you've developed that, there is actually zero additional cost upfront cost for the manufacturer.
    I'm not into which exact models of the Golf and Leon you mention have this feature, but they are fairly old cars (2012 ish), plus VAG is incredibly greedy anyway, so it wouldn't surprise me if they sold it as some special feature. It is not however.

As for why you can't turn it off, why would you? You can't IRL either, it's a fully transparent system to the user.

18. Can-06

Can-06
    Expand Collapse

I don't know if it caused because of the wheels but D Series' front wheels breaks easily by turns and jumps.
    20200422122450_1.jpg 20200422122710_1.jpg

19. Chat's7

Chat's7
    Expand Collapse

Hi!

A bug I just found, using the "Fun stuff" radial menu and activating the "Fire" or "Boom" effect (which sets the whole vehicle on fire), when you try to reset it, the game crashes :)

20. btcb48

btcb48
    Expand Collapse

Just checking here, are the electric Cherriers supposed to have the eDiff logic?
    Don't notice any effect in ESP-off, especially odd when it's so effective on ICE models.

On one hand IRL, Teslas, the e-Tron, eGolf, and Leaf have it, while on the other hand, the rear axles of PHEVs using independent rear electric motors generally don't have effective implementations.

Also, some more observations in the Cherrier PC files:
    • Both of the S 270 models are set to R18 tires and 19-inch wheels
    • The Vivace 160 manual's rear tire is set to an R15
    • The Tograc 190dq has no specified tire
    Back IRL, think it's the VAQ (Vorderachsquersperre) being referenced; the computer controlled electro-hydro clutch LSD thingy only available on sporty models.

Part of the confusion around enthusiast forums for the past 20 years is how marketing and automotive media play fast and loose with the whole "electronic locking differential" term; are they referring to non-defeat single-wheel braking or an electro-mechanical diff system?

Despite near universal adoption now, there isn't a standardised term or acronym for the brake-based system.
    If only ABD or ADB was commonly adopted before AdBlue came about...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice