WIP Beta released [0.7.0.2 Latest Version] (Improved Automatic Transmission, Torque converter simulation)

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by Josh, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Josh

Josh
    Expand Collapse

10/21/2016

Thanks to @mcheijink we now have a working version for 0.7.0.2 !

Drag and drop into your mods folder.

ORIGINAL POST​

@mcheijink version of torque converter simulation lives to see another new version of beam.

I have updated it to work in the latest version (0.7.0) and its working better than ever, I don't think no ones uses this but its here. I will be updating it for every new version released.

NOTE: This modifies a original base file (drivetrain.Lua) when active use at your own risk.

10/4/2016 Update​

Here is an updated version for 0.7.
    It does have a few bugs i'd like to note.​
    • **Shifting up from a stop at WOT is sorta "all over the place" on some vehicles. (ill see if I can fix this.)
    • Light throttle up shifting is fine.
    • When manually shifting into 2nd some vehicles may stall if you have MFM (more features mod) stalling feature active.
    **This is caused by the torque converter code, when the converter locks up it brings the engine RPM down below its low downshift set point on some vehicles.**

Credits

@mcheijink for the original version and amazing code.

(Me) @Josh for updating to the newest version of beam.

Attached Files:

#1 Josh, Jul 24, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Spaceballs the Username

Spaceballs the Username
    Expand Collapse

What does this change about automatic transmissions in their stock implementation?

3. Josh

Josh
    Expand Collapse

just basic torque converter simulation (similar to the "better automatic" mod), but.. it simulates a few other things see the original thread http://www.beamng.com/threads/torque-converter-physics.25243/

I keep updating it because I just can't play beam without it, adds to the realism factor.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Josh

Josh
    Expand Collapse

Currently updating to 6.0.1 will upload new version shortly.

Download in OP

5. BreadForMen

BreadForMen
    Expand Collapse

Can you briefly explain the differences between the stock TC and this mod? I'm just using it now and I honestly can't tell the difference.

6. Josh

Josh
    Expand Collapse

The stock automatic code is basically a "automated" manual as it uses the regular clutch to shift, the code engages and disengages the clutch at every shift, shift up, down etc (which is used to create the real and arcade auto modes.)

Beam in stock form doesn't simulate torque converters at all (again that's why I call it a "automated manual"), and that is the reason this mod exists to being some sort of realism to the transmission behavior as it simulates torque converter speed, capacity, torque ratio and lockup.

Yes the code isn't perfect, it also has many bugs.. when @mcheijink first created it, it was meant to be a POC but I turned it into a "mod" lol. (the code could be improved greatly if any one wants to give it a go.)

I barely know Lua so I haven't attempted to improve the code. If you take the stock 4 speed Dseries at around 55 MPH you will see it will "double shift". You will see that the engine debug will still say its still in 2nd gear, that's because that's when the torque converter "locksup" on that vehicle.

If you compare 0-60 times, with the "real auto" and the "torque converter" mode it should be a bit quicker.

Below is a comparison "real auto" on the top and this mod on the bottom.

Attached Files:

• Capture.PNG
    #6 Josh, Jul 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

its got a bug, when u put it into park, it shows as neutral in the app and on the dash of a car, please fix if its easy because otherwise it makes the game a lot more realistic

8. Josh

Josh
    Expand Collapse

It's had that bug, since it was first created by the original author, I don't know if its possible to fix actually.

9. Josh

Josh
    Expand Collapse

New version for 0.7

Should work just fine with the newest version.

EDIT

Please read my post below..

#9 Josh, Oct 5, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  10. djay4

djay4
    Expand Collapse

beamng.drive keeps lagging so hard and it gose into "not responding" as soon i try to load any map (modded or not) grid map dose it to every map is doing it please help!

11. Josh

Josh
    Expand Collapse

I guess this will be the end (on hold) on this, I cant seem to get it to play nice with 0.7 and not knowing Lua makes this hard lol.

with it enabled it will not allow you to switch shifting modes, once you have launched the game 2 times.

Someone wanna give this a go?, I may have the drivetrain.Lua set up wrong.

Attached is a fully working version for 0.6.0.1 and my sort-ta working version for 0.7.

Download FOR TESTING Purposes ONLY does not work properly with newest GAME version.

#11 Josh, Oct 6, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  12. taylorbinder66

taylorbinder66
    Expand Collapse

Could someone please upload the ORIGINAL lua file from beamng. I forgot to make a backup for the old lua so now my game is messed up and I can't fix it... Thanks in advance.

13. Josh

Josh
    Expand Collapse

"Verify integrity of game cache" in steam, it will redownload new files for those it finds to be modified.

• Like Like x 1
  14. taylorbinder66

taylorbinder66
    Expand Collapse

Thank you so much!!!
    --- Post updated ---
    Okay, I tried it and it said it replaced the files but it didn't change anything so I still can't change the transmission modes... still... any ideas?
    --- Post updated ---
    never mind it actually works now lol

15. Josh

Josh
    Expand Collapse

Plus these are meant to be drag and drop into the mods folder, that's why they are zipped.

You shouldn't be using this with the newest version, it doesn't work properly.

I re-posted it to see if anyone wanted to see if they could get it to work with 0.7+.

With the new drivetrain code coming with a future version this mod won't be needed.

16. taylorbinder66

taylorbinder66
    Expand Collapse

Okay, I tried it and it said it replaced the files but it didn
    Yeah thanks for the help! Can't wait for the new drivetrain update!

17. mcheijink

mcheijink
    Expand Collapse

Something like this Josh?
    I am still working on it, but this seems to do fine on most vehicles.
    Will try to write some more comments later this week!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Josh

Josh
    Expand Collapse

@mcheijink your alive lol, I'll test it as soon as I jump on the PC.

And be sure to reply with those comments !

19. Josh

Josh
    Expand Collapse

New version for 0.7.0.2 updated in the OP.

20. Josh

Josh
    Expand Collapse

@mcheijink

Is it possible to add in a torque converter "lockup switch" in to your current torque converter code?

Say use " X " key on the keyboard to lock the torque converter at any given engine rpm/speed?

If active, it will "bypass" the wheel speed code and go off of "x" key, and when not active it will act as normal?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice