1060gtx, 8 Core, absolutely zero control over unplayable lag. Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Chig: Baron of Beard, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Chig: Baron of Beard

Chig: Baron of Beard
    Expand Collapse

I'm running an 8 Core CPU, 1060GTX, have been going from max graphics to 720p, almost minimum but does next to nothing to stop the sporadic lag spikes I get.

I've honestly run out of ideas.

2. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Actual model please.

The lag spikes happens because of your CPU.
    You can see the CPU delay going up when the lag happens.

I'd say Thermal Throttling.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

What model CPU AND CPU Cooler do you have? Can't do much without it.

4. Chig: Baron of Beard

Expand Collapse

AMD FX 8320. 3.5ghz. Stock cooler.

5. jackh4x

jackh4x
    Expand Collapse

I always appreciate the extent to which you go to help others.

• Like Like x 2
  6. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

Check the temperatures with Core Temp or a similar program. It may just be running too hot. The stock cooler may be the problem but they are are pretty capable of cooling enough, albeit loudly,

7. Chig: Baron of Beard

Expand Collapse

It's only BeamNG and Heroes of the Storm that I get this issue with. Have been running far more intensive games on way higher than minimum settings and not having any issue. I've been looking at CPU usage and it spikes about 50% whenever it's lagging but nothing that would suggest problems at a glance.

What would be a decent (preferably free) heat checker program?

8. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

Core temp is what I use, its free and it minimises to the corner so its always visible, pretty useful.

Gives you details on all cores and max/min temps.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Chig: Baron of Beard

Expand Collapse

It looks like that's most likely the issue. I'm running very hot even when idle. I'm pushing above 80C even when just running Beam and not giving it commands.

It's a fairly old CPU now to be fair, I bought it a number of years back so might be time for a total refit. The GPU is new though so I'll keep that.

10. Wild Hog

Wild Hog
    Expand Collapse

BeamNg seems to have a problem with AMD CPUs...

11. Chig: Baron of Beard

Expand Collapse

Strange that the CPU fan isn't spinning up at all to try and compensate and the heat sensors are telling me it's not even anything to be worrying about. This has left me more confused than I had started.

12. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

Yeah 80c is way too hot for an AMD CPU anything about 60c is a bad idea... Are you sure the CPU heatsink is plugged into the motherboard? Those coolers have always active fans, they should never be off...

Thats not the problem at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. TromboneWalrus

TromboneWalrus
    Expand Collapse

When is the last time you cleaned out the pc? Dust buildup over a few years can have huge effects on your temps, especially if your pc is on the floor.

14. Wild Hog

Wild Hog
    Expand Collapse

I've heard it multiple times that BeamNG didn't ran well on AMD CPUs

15. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, it runs about as well as the CPU will let it, that has nothing to do with overheating.

16. Chig: Baron of Beard

Expand Collapse

It was cleaned recently. I just think it's gotten worn out. It's been used quite heavily over the years. It has a fan on it and the fan definitely works. It just doesn't seem to want to do anything when I'm playing BeamNG.

I might try freezing the room by opening all the windows and putting a coat on.

17. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

HAHA :D That might do something for a little while, but it will heat up after a bit anyways, you might want to get a fan controller to see if you can manually pump up the RPM's on your fan. I was having some serious heat issues on my computer until I got a fan controller and started pushing it to 6000RPM's... could still barely keep it under 80*C and it sounded like a jet trying to take off. :rolleyes:

18. Poopoh12

Poopoh12
    Expand Collapse

I think it's just an optimization problem, I'd upgrade soon anyway, if you want to stick with AMD the Ryzen line is supposedly going to be beastly but be around 500 dollars, if you're cool with Intel the i5-6600K is awesome for Windows 7 and if you have Windows 10 upgrade to the Kaby Lake i5 when it comes out, it'll be 239 dollars.

19. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

You can try looking around in bios using your system manual as a guide for CPU FAN settings. I don't know what brand and model of motherboard you have, we should know this!
    You can buy an aftermarket cooler for it, like a hyper 212 evo, or the 'deepcool lucifer', or something around those ranges in price. Pick something you like, but I would be careful that it will FIT INSIDE YOUR COMPUTER and NOT BLOCK RAM SLOTS. The deepcool unit is bigger.
    Get a tapemeasure out and do some measuring (WHILE THE PC IS OFF, the end is metal, and can short/break something!)
    Check height of your ram module installed. Check height of clearance from surface of cpu or motherboard to the side of the case. Generally amazon and newegg (retailers) give dimensions of these heatsinks. If you have a huge case, it's less to worry about as even with the Deepcool unit in there you could still stuff a few Chihuahua's in there with everything.

You can always go to a computer shop and get an OEM amd fan/heatsink and switch out the fan (just unscrew the four screws ontop of the fan, and replace them when you put the new one in (if that is indeed what is bad). You don't need to take the aluminum heatsink off the cpu. Just swap the fan out. If you take it off, chances are you'll need to put new thermal transfer paste in and you'll not have it handy and have to go back to the shop (or, you can get some at the shop, and swap out the whole heatsink/cpu). Chances are most non-franchised mom-and-pop computer shops (small businesses) will have a few of these laying around. Just make sure you get one for an Fx-8xxx series cpu.

20. Chig: Baron of Beard

Expand Collapse

Hello!

I appear to have found the solution, in the end I took my fan off, replaced the thermal compound, replaced the fan and for some bizarre reason, one of the fans which didn't function before started working again. It now runs fine.

Cheers anyway. I will invest in a new case sometime down the line and fit a better setup but I can't fit shit in this case with the 1060, it's tiny.

• Informative Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice