WIP 1948 Fintray Roadster

Discussion in 'Land' started by Blijo, Mar 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

That reminds me from the time, when I though it would be cool to adjust brake balance by pulling handbrake just a notch or two to have brake shoes bit closer to drums, that was NA diesel FWD junk vehicle, so there was frozen rain and road was like a skating ring, I had bald tires and so it comes that at one corner someone came at me middle of the road, just slight tap of the brakes send me spinning on the field with my groceries flying in cabin :D

Ah to be young and invulnerable once again :)

Well, at least I would not look totally out of place in Fintray, that is automobile for gentlemen that have almost got out of teenager phase, almost :)

• Like Like x 7
  2. Blijo

Blijo
    Expand Collapse

Since my wisdom teeth are being a gigantic pain(literally), I haven't been studying much... I don't know why but the timing is perfect(/s), right when I have exams. They have to be removed but the hospital doesn't have time until 19-11-2018. I can't focus with this pain so I do something that doesn't require 100% of my focus: mod.

Spent too much time on the rear suspension yesterday. And it still doesn't work well...
    I redid parts of the front suspension today, the location wasn't right. Who doesn't love all kinds of blueprints :D That are all off by a bit.

I also remodelled the front fenders, hood and part of the grille:
    screenshot_2018-11-01_16-00-28.png screenshot_2018-11-01_16-02-14.png screenshot_2018-11-01_16-04-03.png

If someone really likes to make a rear axle with good leaf springs, PM me, I have all info about the irl thing and stuff for you to use. I will do it myself otherwise.

As said in the dev screens: I really love this update, I can finally add rotation dampers with the new system and operate the softtop with the new hydros. So I implemented that.
    The frame of the softtop is working well now, I only have to find out a way to simulate the cloth without spikes and randomness.

I guess it's coming along decently but I'm not sure whether it will meet your expectations.

• Like Like x 25
  3. Sithhy™

Sithhy™
    Expand Collapse

You don't have to please everyone, there's always will be someone that will not like it :p

• Agree Agree x 13
    • Like Like x 1
  4. 2swede4u

2swede4u
    Expand Collapse

I never have high expectations. For me it's the type if mod, and I must say that you are doing a fantastic job. Besides the right hand drive gives me a chance to simulate my dads old fiber fab mg kit car.

• Like Like x 1
  5. domodude120

domodude120
    Expand Collapse

whooooo nice job it is lookin great!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Blijo

Blijo
    Expand Collapse

Reworking the dash:
    First the layout:
    upload_2018-11-4_17-31-25.png
    Then the shape:
    upload_2018-11-4_17-32-2.png screenshot_2018-11-04_17-31-35.png
    And then started on the textures
    upload_2018-11-4_17-31-13.png

• Like Like x 19
  7. Cutlass

Cutlass
    Expand Collapse

8. Can-06

Can-06
    Expand Collapse

9. Blijo

Blijo
    Expand Collapse

Wood will be an option for the luxe version, normal versions have the painted dash(TD didn't come with wood)
    Imperial only, maybe a second set of gauges for other engines

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Blijo

Blijo
    Expand Collapse

screenshot_2018-11-04_22-08-01.png screenshot_2018-11-04_22-07-49.png
    some more work done :)

• Like Like x 22
  11. Sithhy™

Sithhy™
    Expand Collapse

That does look pretty good, I'd have to say... But one thing that bothers me slightly when looking at the dash, is that the gauge housings & the whole silver (white?) panel look a bit too low poly. Once you see it, then it does catch your eye every time o_O

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Something that might be useful (from https://polycount.com/discussion/126662/triangle-counts-for-assets-from-various-videogames):
    Forza Motorsport 3
    LOD0: 172753 polys
    LOD1: 45074 polys
    LOD2: 21802 polys
    LOD3: 13134 polys
    LOD4: 6360 polys
    LOD5: 2556 polys
    Hi-res cockpit: 79845 polys

Forza Motorsport 4
    500,000-1,000,000 for auto vista,
    Lamborghini Reventon - 562,786
    Halo Warthog 798,005

Gran Turismo 3, PS2, 2001
    Cars - ~2,000-4,000 polygons

Gran Turismo 4, PS2, 2004
    Cars - ~2,000-5,000 polygons

Gran Turismo 5: Prologue, PS3, 2007
    Cars - 200,000 polygons (probably interior + exterior)

Gran Turismo 5
    Cars ~500K photomode

Total polycount of the frame is important too, number of vehicles planned to run same time affects that a lot of course, go on map without car and see how many polys there are, 6 million can be rendered with pretty much anything game worthy, WCUSA has been 10 000 000 with single car.

Anything less than 100 000 polys in a car is probably not worth it performance wise, but UV mapping etc. of course is another thing.

For textures, limiting number is better than limiting size. Least amount of materials is good for this game version.

I do agree with Sithhy, that there could be bit more polys and maybe texture sizes could be 4K or at least 2K for crispiness, 8K is not too bad for a car, ok I'm wishing again, but :p

Of course we don't have lods for cars I guess, not sure if there is any way to get lods for cars or if those are done automatically, but adding 10 000 polys to any of the cars is not really causing any performance hit.

It is interesting there as over 10 years ago polycounts started to be quite small impact to performance if at least bit of sanity was used when making mesh, but even today first thought of performance optimizing is polycount, while it is far more important to weld UV maps to big islands avoiding seams and having material count low.
    I was very surprised to learn that polycount has almost zero impact on performance with today's hardware.

But then there is other things, like time, making high poly takes more time, making UV maps can take huge amount of time etc.

Anyway Fintray is progressing nicely :)

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. BeamNG.Lover2002

BeamNG.Lover2002
    Expand Collapse

I love the fintray when will it be ready?

14. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

The answer to your question is....how long is a piece of string?

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. BeamNG.Lover2002

BeamNG.Lover2002
    Expand Collapse

IDK

depends on the string like a shoe string or a skipping rope string?

16. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

Its something to think on, whats the sound of one hand clapping and also if a Tree falls in the forest does it make a sound?

17. BeamNG.Lover2002

BeamNG.Lover2002
    Expand Collapse

The same obviously:p

but this is offtopic:)

18. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

Well maybe learn to respect that it takes time and effort to build mods a good mod can take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months to build, depending on the modders input into it, sorry about the off topic stuff there :p thought I would have some fun

• Like Like x 1
  19. BeamNG.Lover2002

BeamNG.Lover2002
    Expand Collapse

Well half true

it depends on the modders capabilities and understanding of a mod @Blijo can jbeam pretty quickly an example is the bus so @Blijo could actually probably do it within 3 weeks from now so dont go offtopic about string and shit

20. Blijo

Blijo
    Expand Collapse

This car is almost completely scratch made. This means that I make everything myself. I'm a slow modeller and texturer and that takes a lot of time.
    Other things that take a lot of time are things like the rear suspension (idk why) and the jbeam of the softtop since that's quite complex.
    The bus for instance is made from almost modular parts and is thus super easy to jbeam(and far from done)
    So yes, I would be able to finish this in 3 weeks but I can't finish it in 3 weeks since I study, am a scout leader and have some sort of social life :)
    And I work on it whenever I want, nobody can tell me when to work on it since I do this for fun and not for you :)

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice