1. This section is for official content brought to you by BeamNG. Please keep the discussion civil and posts constructive to avoid spam. Posts disregarding these guidelines may be removed without any notice.
    Dismiss Notice

1953 Burnside Special

Discussion in 'Official Content' started by gabester, Jul 5, 2014.

1. JJfan48

JJfan48
    Expand Collapse

Woohoo more Burnside
    Maybe the 1980's one will return :p

2. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

This is so damn awesome. What's also awesome is Gabe typed "Chrysler Imperial".:cool:

3. Jujune

Jujune
    Expand Collapse

Really nice one! Well this is even better than the 200Bx what was the car i was looking most to... :D

4. roy99669

roy99669
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Gabester! I absolutely love oldtimers so I really like this car. What engine options will it have and will there be a possibility of a convertible version if it fits it?

5. ProTraX

ProTraX
    Expand Collapse

I loved this car in RoR, it was my favorite and i bet it will be again! :p

6. HadACoolName

HadACoolName
    Expand Collapse

Nobody here would know what a Hudson Hornet was if Doc Hudson wasn't one :p

7. Petrovsky

Petrovsky
    Expand Collapse
    duplicate account of banned user AwesomeSauce

Hmmm, I knew it looked familiar :p

8. Fundador

Fundador
    Expand Collapse

Nice work gabe, I've fancied and older car ingame for a while.

9. Mythbuster

Mythbuster
    Expand Collapse

Hmm I find it funny how much the Buick Eight, Cadillac Series 62 and the Chrysler Imperial look alike, when they apparantly share no bodypanels whatsoever.

I think the car is way too short though, or too wide/high. All the cars you could've possibly based this on are way longer/sleeker, and especially the Chrysler Imperial! As far as I can see, the main cause for this is that the area from the front of the front door to the back of the rear door should be 10-20cm longer, and the hood should be a lot longer too. The rear also looks to be way too high for a car from this era, gives it a much bulkier look than it should have honestly... :/ All this gives the car almost the proportions of a 49 Ford, or at very least somewhere between a 53 Imperial and a 49 Ford, or even a Hudson Hornet(although with the bulky back)... I bet it'll be real obvious when you put yours next to my 49 Cadillac next to eachother.

Serious? I hope not. If anyone didn't know what a Hudson Hornet is, you can stop calling yourself a car guy, they were even in Mafia 2. Where I used to work, my boss owns a 2-door 1956 Hornet Hollywood, 1 of only 8 2-door Hollywoods in existance in the world apparantly, and his still has its original paint and afaik is numbers matching :) When you type that name + year in on Google, you get the very car he has in the search results a few times, the green-cream-colored one with either Washington or old Dutch plates.

#29 Mythbuster, Jul 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  10. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

This isn't meant to be a full on luxobarge with a 20 foot long hood. This is a 1953 Dodge:

(imported from here)

You'll notice it's much taller and shorter than the Burnside.

1953 Imperial:

(imported from here)

Longer hood. That's it. This car is somewhere in between those two.

1953 DeSoto:

(imported from here)

It has a higher beltline and lower floor, but otherwise the proportions are the same as my car.

11. Mythbuster

Mythbuster
    Expand Collapse

Usually the "seperate" rear fender-over-the-wheels things are only on luxo-barges with very few exeptions, as they later evolved into tailfins on Cadillacs and Impalas and such. Same with the excessive chrome... I think the Mercury Meteors were one of the only exceptions, but even those don't have the real over-fender things nor that much chrome, just enough to hint at it.

Also, @ the 53 Dodge: Yes, it's much taller and shorter. It's also much skinnier, not anywhere near a bulky. As much as I do like the design on the Burnside, I don't think the proportions work for the type of car it is trying to portray. It has the width, bulkyness and chrome trim of a land-yacht like a Cadillac, but it has the lenght and height of a much cheaper car.
    The 53 Desoto is also a lot more expensive than the 53 Dodge, you can tell by the chrome and the covered rear wheels + seperate rear fender things, much closer to the Burnside in proportion and class imho than the Imperial. Again though, look at the space between the front of the rear door and the start of the rear fender. It's much larger than on the Burnside, as all the cars from this era with those rear fenders have. On the Burnside that distance is 5-10 cm shorter. Then the front door itself is also 5-10 cm shorter, AND the hood is also 15 or so cm shorter on the Burnside.

#31 Mythbuster, Jul 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  12. Garebear

Garebear
    Expand Collapse

13. Mythbuster

Mythbuster
    Expand Collapse

The 59 Impala is afaik the only car from the era with a stupid X-frame that makes it way weaker compared to any of it's rivals. This is why it was selected for that test. On top of that, they purposely made it not hit head-on and instead they did an offset collision so it would miss the engine and pushed the frame out of the way on the Impala. If it had hit the engine head-on, the Impala wouldn't have looked nearly as unsafe, because it would've hit the framerails properly, and the engine would've smashed into the firewall and prevented a lot of the deformation. Right now, it just hit some sheet-metal which meant the Malibu could plow right through it. Everything in the preparation of that "test" was done to put the Impala at a disadvantage. A 53 Imperial or 2.3 ton Cadillac would've plowed right through that Malibu. Regardless, it was a waste of a classic car, and whoever came up with "doing a test to prove the obvious" and wrecking a classic like that should be banned from ever touching a car again.

I really hope Gabe doesn't decide to give his Burnside one of those dumb X-frames and does the car justice. Especially Imperials, as he says it's based on that, are built like tanks. They were SO strong in fact that they were banned from demolition derbys.

14. Again_Dejavu

Again_Dejavu
    Expand Collapse

To be fair, the IIHS does offset collisions for every car it tests, rather than direct head on hits.

15. Keepermaster

Keepermaster
    Expand Collapse

Brb, gonna craft a time machine and bring the finished product back to today.

16. vmlinuz

vmlinuz
    Expand Collapse

Reminds me of the GAZ-M20 Pobeda for some reason.

17. SpartanApples

SpartanApples
    Expand Collapse

I'm getting Mafia 2's Potomac Indian from this... love it!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Takuzi

Takuzi
    Expand Collapse

awsome model, i hope there will be a gasser model for this big drag tires on the back little on the front 20110119a.jpg 1955-chevy-hemi-gasser-blasphemi-roadkill-01.jpg

19. chris_lucas

chris_lucas
    Expand Collapse

Yes there will be cause I love gassers.

20. xTakedown JnR

xTakedown JnR
    Expand Collapse

I'm happy that Gabester is like the only one making legit cars.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice