1. This section is for official content brought to you by BeamNG. Please keep the discussion civil and posts constructive to avoid spam. Posts disregarding these guidelines may be removed without any notice.
    Dismiss Notice

1953 Burnside Special

Discussion in 'Official Content' started by gabester, Jul 5, 2014.

1. combatwombat96

combatwombat96
    Expand Collapse

you got a point when the new ui is done then yeah sure but maybe the chopping up a car and putting different body panels on another seems a bit too far, even if it is the body platform

2. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

What's too far about that? We already have the Roamer/D-Series, SBR/eSBR, 800-Series/K-Series, body styles for D-Series and Bluebuck, and the Moonhawk/Autobello facelifts. In terms of "too much" overall rather than for factory config, look at the crawler hopper. Virtually everything on it is modified in some way from the standard factory one. And putting different body pannels, engines, etc... isn't much different than varying trim levels like what we have now. Just look at how many factory engine options, interior options, and bumpers something like the 800-series has.
    --- Post updated ---
    "It's not a representative example" is the point. A rare quirky high end version wouldn't be a rare quirky high end version if it was representative.

As for the Ford/Mercury/Lincoln and A-body examples I gave... They are just examples, it's not like the Moonhawk/'53 Special has to be directly an A-body/Ford and can never have a LWB option added, or even needs one to have new body pannels.

As for unique engines, in my original suggestion post I put a whole list of how Chrysler, Hudson, Ford, and Lincoln all had interesting engine options. And again, refer to definition of "rare unicorn test bed thing"

As for "what's the point when we can just add more cars". Adding onto existing cars is a lot easier than making a new one, and adding content/story for existing content is in many ways better than new platforms. I would rather have 2 fleshed out cars with a lot of content than 4 cars as shallow as the K-Series.

• Like Like x 1
  3. combatwombat96

combatwombat96
    Expand Collapse

Heard of Packard or AMC or Kaiser-Frazer or Nash or Hudson, the Tucker Torpedo and Studebaker. They may not have been the most luxurious car but they all had some kind of quirk or feature that no other car maker had at the time or at least as interesting as theirs

Edit:
    just saw the post above mine
    --- Post updated ---
    I mean putting a Bluebuck front clip onto the Moonhawks front is too far, having different face lifts and bumpers and whatnot is just perfectly fine

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

There is a difference between most of that, and remaking most of the entire car to get a slightly different version of what we had.

BeamNG might not be real life, but it should be realistic - the devs even mentioned how they want to have specific archetypes. And the "50s American luxury car" archetype is rather formulaic, being meant for older and wealthier customers.

Well, maybe there could be a Buick to the Special's Oldsmobile or Chrysler to its DeSoto.

But Gavril, a cheap brand, is far too low to get something of that size.

All rather normal V8s or I6s.

I would rather have the devs spend time on making the game cover all of the car market, not just focus on one thing in different variations.

Such as? Because most of them seem like typical old American cars, and the one that doesn't was a failure.

5. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

But the effect isn't all that different. More vehicle content for those that like customizing and more market variety for the player come career mode.

I disagree. They did have another full sized luxury car 10 years later after all.

And?..

Ford: Flathead V8, which is an iconic hot rod engine
    Lincoln: V12
    Chrysler: Hemi
    Hudson: Twin H-Power
    Burnside: Just a single 5.1 V8 for all the factory configs.

Making existing content feel complete is also important. It's not like the vehicle team is a single person either. If they can split the team to do refreshes and a new car at the same time I'm sure they can work on having vehicle content and making new cars too. Pumping out a bunch of content-less cars like the K-Series is not a healthy approach to vehicle content in a game that's supposed to have "massive" customization where customization is one of the largest benefits of the vehicle model.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

That sort of customisation isn't really too common. People don't, say, swap Chevy seats or front ends for Pontiac ones.

The Bluebuck is by no means a luxury car. It's just a low-priced fullsize.

The only remotely interesting one is the Lincoln V12, and that was gone by the mid-50s. Also, pretty much all midrange cars had a single-displacement V8 in the mid-50s.

Most customization happens outside OEM parts. Adding a new vehicle like that on the K-Series platform would just mean us having two contentless cars.

7. Nathan24â„¢

Nathan24â„¢
    Expand Collapse

Go go me lowrider Burnside :cool:

Also, maybe we can perhaps get body-colored Alder Luxo wheels lowrider wheels like in the picture above?

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. GotNoSable!

GotNoSable!
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

you crongaloid.
    literally all of these engines were interesting
    you have no soul

• Like Like x 1
  9. Belvedere58

Belvedere58
    Expand Collapse

That very well may be your opinion, but the Hemi, the small block Chevrolet V8, the nailhead Buick V8, the Twin-H Hudson engines, the supercharged Studebaker/Packard V8s, the flat six Corvair engine, the fuel injected Chrysler & Chevrolet V8s, the Big Block Wedge V8 Chrysler motors, the Oldsmobile Rocket engine.......there was a lot of interesting engines that came out or were popularized in the 1950s.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. CaptainZoll

CaptainZoll
    Expand Collapse

what about a flathead straight 8 engine in a pre-facelift version?

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

Most of them are traditional OHV V8s, just with some modification - the bread and butter of premium 50s American cars. Especially uninteresting is stuff like the Chevy small block or Olds Rocket V8.

Many are newer than the Burnside, and some of them aren't even from the midrange field the Burnside seems to be in.
    --- Post updated ---
    Why should it? It's just an ordinary 50s American midrange car.

12. GotNoSable!

GotNoSable!
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

OHV i8 and a Flathead 6 for the 1949-1952 model. Then in '53 they (gavril) gave Burnside permission to use Gvaril's small-block design, based off a re-bored 291. Enter the burnside 313 cui V-8, a hotrodder's dream.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

Why would Gavril have such a big engine? And why would it take so long for a midrange brand to get it?

14. GotNoSable!

GotNoSable!
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

"Such a big engine" it's a 4.8 liter, for america that's tiny. Plus the 291 already exists in game.
    The mercury flathead was larger and more powerful than the ford flathead, also more expensive.
    as for the timing i haven't figured that out yet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

For a 50s American low-priced car, it's big.

Ford had a 215 and 239, Chevy had a 215 and 235, Plymouth had a 218, Studebaker had a 170...

16. GotNoSable!

GotNoSable!
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Re-doing my original post for clarity:
    OHV i8 and a Flathead 6 for the 1949-1952 model. Then in '53 they (gavril) gave Burnside permission to use Gavril's small-block design, a 211 cui model that would soon become the venerable 291. Enter the burnside 313 cui V-8, a hotrodder's dream.

17. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

Well, that also isn't accurate - at that point the brands with the old engines were the low-priced ones, still sticking around with pre-war designs.

The midrange field was the more active one in terms of early 50s engineering.

18. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

Talking about how the low-priced brands weren't a place for engineering development, because their cars were supposed to be cheap, not the most modern.

19. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

Again, it's Burnside, not Ford. Yes I want realism, but all of this seems easy enough to explain away with "they were a quirky brand". It's a game, and we need content. It is unreasonable to put an entire half a year into making a second one and it's also not okay to leave it with such a small amount of content.

It has three factory configs right now. Three.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. YellowRusty

YellowRusty
    Expand Collapse

I think maybe that the Burnside could use a few new factory configurations, mostly centered around things like extra chrome additions, dealership add-ons, and different interior treatments.

(There were pictures here at one point, but they've disappeared. Some posts just don't age properly.)

Three colour choices seem to have been standard in the field - look at this 1954 Chevrolet brochure, this 1953 Desoto brochure, and this 1954 Mercury brochure (note especially the way that different interiors in the Chevy and Mercury brochures are stitched together differently, so that different trims and models have different colour breaks on the two-tone seats)

I'd really like black/body coloured interior, and a tan/brown one, all with their own unique stitching design so that while they are texture swaps, they're not recolors of each other.

A factory 'sports' variant with bucket seats might be a little early, but bucket seats from sixties cars are so often swapped in that I think some sort of leather bucket seat should eventually become an in-game option

Further down the road it might be worthwhile to bring in an official coupe for the Burnside, just to help boost the number of factory variants available.

#500 YellowRusty, Jan 6, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice