1. This section is for official content brought to you by BeamNG. Please keep the discussion civil and posts constructive to avoid spam. Posts disregarding these guidelines may be removed without any notice.
    Dismiss Notice

1953 Burnside Special

Discussion in 'Official Content' started by gabester, Jul 5, 2014.

1. combatwombat96

combatwombat96
    Expand Collapse

why not a split bench seat and 4 door hardtop as well, also an option for a floor shift (for us hotrodders) and a two spoke steering wheel

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. RedHorizon

RedHorizon
    Expand Collapse

I think the Burnside is really neglected, which is sad because it's an awesome little car. I'd love to see a hardtop, maybe a coupe (even take a page from the shoebox era Ford's with a performance club coupe), and a convertible option. Powertrain selection could certainly be a little more varied - e.g. some of Gavril's later 60's model engines installed in a hot rod config. In fact, a Gavril name and facelifted trim level would be interesting - like Chevy's Bel Air vs. Pontiac's Chieftain/Star Chief.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. GotNoSable!

GotNoSable!
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

hmmm
    over 1800 kilos

4. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

The led sled, custom, and drag config use the 6.9L megathrust from the factory special edition Barstows.

5. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

The Special is just a bit too old for a factory floor shifter or a 4-door hardtop.

Kinda a shame that the devs didn't make a more interesting late 50s car (though that would be too much like the Bluebuck).

6. combatwombat96

combatwombat96
    Expand Collapse

a floor shift for non factory hi-po configs and a late fifties car would absolutely be nothing like the bluebuck, which is from the early sixties, a very conservative time in automotive design. Now the late fifties was a proper wild time for designs and would have not one thing in common with the early sixties (except maybe the chassis)

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. RedHorizon

RedHorizon
    Expand Collapse

Fine, cute, but average-size American sedan.
    You're right, I never even noticed that - my bad! For years I thought it was using that 313ci(?) engine and only had I6 options, how strange, total Mandela Effect situation.

8. CaptainZoll

CaptainZoll
    Expand Collapse

the weird thing is, not only does it look like a burnside engine (which could just be because they couldn't be bothered porting the barstow's mesh), it's also called a "megathrust", where the 423 in the bubu and barstool are called "ultra thrust", leading me to believe it's perhaps a previous generation of 423, though this may just mean it's one swapped in from a late 50's burnside.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. GotNoSable!

GotNoSable!
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

I'd think a later burnside (from 57-59 per say) would have had the Megathrust, and this was a swap.
    Having a 7 liter V-8 in a car from 1953 is a bit extreme.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

Even in a late 50s car 7 litres would have been a really big engine. The only exception could be some performance special like a Chrysler 300, and even then 423 ci would have been a bit big.

11. GotNoSable!

GotNoSable!
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

You literally have the free-forming creativity of a stone.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

Beam's universe very much isn't freeform.

13. SuperAusten64

SuperAusten64
    Expand Collapse

#513 SuperAusten64, Jan 11, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 3
  14. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

Hirochi SBR4

• Agree Agree x 5
  15. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

SBR4, Piccolina, Hopper, maybe K-Series and Sunburst.

At best 5 cars of over 20, and only one of them is really untraceable.

16. SuperAusten64

SuperAusten64
    Expand Collapse

#516 SuperAusten64, Jan 11, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 5
  17. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

The SBR4 is pretty much a japanese reinterpretation of the Porsche 911, and declaredly an experiment by gabester to style a car with no particular reference or template.

Everything else has easily traceable, deep roots in the Real World™... except when they chose not to equip the Piccolina with turn signals... :p
    --- Post updated ---
    Mostly pop-culture references.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

The scenarios, gamemodes, names and customisations may be fictional, but the cars take a lot of real-life inspiration.
    And even stuff like the ram plow, cop Bolide or Megathrust engine stem from real-life stuff - the plow from one of the Mythbusters episodes, the Bolide from a police Lambo Gallardo, and the Megathrust from actual early 60s performance engines.

Also, D-Series? Chevy C/K, with some Ford F-Series. Grand Marshal? Caprice+Crown Vic. 800-Series? 3-Series. Covet? Civic. etc., etc.

19. Kasir

Kasir
    Expand Collapse

You make it sound like they don't have any creativity behind them.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but a Japanese rear-engined sports coupe with four seats (that seat 4 adults comfortably) is pretty hard to pinpoint in real life.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. YellowRusty

YellowRusty
    Expand Collapse

Okaaayy...

Let's try to get off of the ad-hominem attacks and the argument over what is and isn't fantasy in BeamNG.

Back to the Burnside.

I think that maybe an external (to the gearbox) overdrive unit would be an interesting factory option - I hear that those were in vogue at the time of the Burnside and might be an interesting thing to have simulated from a driving-dynamics point of view.

• Agree Agree x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice