On Hold 1967 Ford Mustang Shelby G.T.500

Discussion in 'Land' started by SoHigh00, Jan 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bakasan

Bakasan
    Expand Collapse

That is correct. The game will simulate what's in the jbeam, and then map the model to it. You do not need to have a 3d model of the suspension for the game to work, you just need a working suspension setup in the jbeam (BusFag is a good example of this). Your car though is quite realistic, so I would highly recommend that you make a 3d model of the suspension, and map it with the jbeam file.

Another thing to be aware of is that Mustangs, along with many other Fords of that era, use an unequal lengh double wishbone suspension, which is not rather annoying as they can be simulated as we have no slidenodes, but that's only for MacPherson struts. This means that you will not need to wait for them to be added before you make the front suspension jbeam. In the mean time, I would suggest that you work on finishing your model, with textures and all, and then make a jbeam of the bodyshell, and of course, jbeam the front suspension, because it's possible. Hopefully slidenodes will have been made by then, so cars which, unlike the first generation Mustang, use MacPherson struts, can be simulated:)

#81 Bakasan, Apr 5, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  2. SoHigh00

SoHigh00
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for the nice read and information :) Can you define slidenodes? Nothing about them in the wiki.

On a specification site I found (http://www.carmemories.com/cgi-bin/viewexperience.cgi?experience_id=59) it says that the mustang uses Unequal arms, coil springs. Is this the same as the double wishbone suspension?

3. Bakasan

Bakasan
    Expand Collapse

Essentially, a slide node is a node or beam (not sure which) that enables movement, but only along one axis. it's kind of like the movement of a cylinder inside a larger cylinder. It can be used to locate the suspension movement in a MacPherson strut, as they use the linear movement of the coilover to locate the camber, as opposed to an upper a arm. Without them, the linear movement of the strut cannot be simulated, thus an upper arm is needed.

And yes, unequal arms and double wishbone are the same thing. The Mustang's double wishbone is much like the system used on the Covet (minus the front drive shafts), as they are both uni body.

In case you were wondering why I bought up struts, I was under the impression that these Mustangs had MacPherson struts, which seems to be not so. I tried to find some specs, but the internet was more interested in telling me what colours the Mustang came in, rather than the suspension setup...........

4. SoHigh00

SoHigh00
    Expand Collapse

I see how this is essential for most types of suspensions. But how does the current spring suspension work? With hydros ?

I know how this feels. If you are wondering here is a good pic of the suspension if you can recognize what is going on only from looking at it ^^ I have to do some studies this weekend.
    4.JPG

5. Bakasan

Bakasan
    Expand Collapse

The current type of spring is just a beam that can move in any direction, but has damping values applied to it to make it springey. This poses no problem for a double wishbone setup, as the spring does nothing to locate the suspension. In a strut however, the spring/shock (coilover) is used to locate the suspension, so if you tried to make a strut currently, the wheel would fall over. The Mustang most definitely has double wishbones, as shown in that picture, so there is no problem. The Mustang is somewhat unique in that it uses a shock in spring arrangement mounted to a unibody, much like the Covet, whereas most muscle cars of that era used a separate coil and spring mounted to either a subframe (a chassis just at the engine bay), or a separate chassis mounted to the body (body on frame).

6. SoHigh00

SoHigh00
    Expand Collapse

All right! Thank you my friend :) Now I have something to work with.

7. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

All beams already have a spring and damp value. For suspension, set the spring really high compared to usual and it becomes nice and springy, perfect for our suspension :p That is all it is, just a section of the Jbeam which is softer than normal.
    All the existing vehicles are double wishbone fronts if you want to have a look at them. The covet demonstrates the unibody setup very nicely and also perfectly demonstrates the effects of the upper wishbone being shorter than the lower wishbone (as on the mustang).

8. SoHigh00

SoHigh00
    Expand Collapse

Thanks. So a high spring value deforms the mesh at stress(i.e. bump in the road>spring deforms) and puts it back in the idle position after the bump. A low spring value
    ( = 0 ?)would just deform the mesh. Am I right?

The suspension is coming along pretty well btw :)
    55.JPG

9. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

High = nice and bouncy, low = rigid yes. Damp values will also need tweaking (otherwise you end up with wheels that won't stop bouncing up and down :p )

10. Bakasan

Bakasan
    Expand Collapse

looks like you have a good level of detail on the suspension. The only thing is that you shouldn't model the wheelnut and center cap faces like that, it just wastes triangles. It should be more like this (you may also want to fix the brake disc, as it seems concave, whereas it should be flat)
    1970 Banpei Megami.png
    Everything seems nice and accurate though, so well done!

11. SoHigh00

SoHigh00
    Expand Collapse

Oh didn't notice..fixed it now thanks :)

The front suspension is done (i think) :
    44.JPG
    22.JPG

12. zachy247

zachy247
    Expand Collapse

Cool Il be sure to get the beta release;)

13. chris_lucas

chris_lucas
    Expand Collapse

I think I have found the JBeam problem.

14. SoHigh00

SoHigh00
    Expand Collapse

Really? What is it?

15. djbutter

djbutter
    Expand Collapse

please finish this and not give up. this is my DREAM!!!!!!CAR. i love the progress.:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::):):):):):):):):):):):D:D:D:D:D:D

16. chris_lucas

chris_lucas
    Expand Collapse

Send the JBeam file to me I will fix it.:)

17. SoHigh00

SoHigh00
    Expand Collapse

No worries you'll have a Mustang in BeamNG soon. And ease down on the emoticons next time :D

Thanks man!
    And update will follow with a basic texture after the fix :)

Talking updates...I am currently trying to figure out how to model the steering.. midway done with understanding where to put it on the model.

18. ProXem

ProXem
    Expand Collapse

Looks really good, keep up the good work! looking forward seeing it in the game!

19. SoHigh00

SoHigh00
    Expand Collapse

I've modeled the steering and the rear suspension today.
    2.JPG
    1.JPG
    I have also smoothed the rear wheelarch area a bit and made the rear bumper an individual part.

Credits go to Gabester's Moonhawk for helping me understand how the steering is built up. I'll may change it with time if I find better references. It's mostly based on the Moonhawk steering and this picture:
    gallery_1967 Mustang Shelby GT500_67 Shelby GT500 4950.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

EDIT:
    Fixed the front of the car. I think it's a huge improvement.
    34.JPG
    I also saved 10k(!!!) polys with the remake(im at 35k right now). I'll probably just add a normal map instead of modeling the grille to keep that lower poly count.

The engine and exhausts are next on the list.

#99 SoHigh00, Apr 14, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  20. asad1234

asad1234
    Expand Collapse

I know for sure I am going to love this car and Gabester's herochi sunburst the most in the game keep up the great work man

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice