WIP Beta released 1969 Toyota Corolla Sprinter Update 0.9.1

Discussion in 'Land' started by Goosah, Jun 24, 2014.

1. AdR

AdR
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

Great car with good physics. Looking forward to see it textured, that's all it's missing.

There are some isssues with the smoothing groups, right? that's an easy fix, by detaching them to the same part (detach to element in 3dsmax).

2. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

Thanks! I know the smoothing groups on the rear seats are wrong (now fixed in my build) but if there are any other smoothing errors you want to point out, go ahead and I'll try and fix em :)

3. AdR

AdR
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

Actually no, the smoothing groups have nothing to do, my bad.
    At a closer look, is just the lack of normal mapping or AO that makes it look all shiny and rounded at the bottom and inner fenders.

I figure it's only a matter of texturing, smoothing groups looks fine.

2015-01-20_00002.jpg 2015-01-20_00001.jpg

4. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

I'm very excited about making use of the upcoming improvement to normal map reflections. Expect lots of stampings and pinch weld details on the underbody!

5. blue22111

blue22111
    Expand Collapse

If it drives you nuts you could upload a hotfix update for the problem.

6. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

I kinda missed the window on that. The car will look quite transformed in the next release, so hopefully the old screenshots and videos will be drowned out by the new :p

7. blue22111

blue22111
    Expand Collapse

Just take the file that you have attached on the OP and change that one thing. Then you have your new release secret and the old one working right.

8. Cira

Cira
    Expand Collapse

Love the car, good work :)

9. KiloHotel

KiloHotel
    Expand Collapse

Great car in its current state, cannot wait for the improvements. Keep up the good work man.

10. Zipppy

Zipppy
    Expand Collapse

After using this car for a while, I'll say the main issue I have is that the front wheels wobble around way too much when cornering, like if they aren't secured properly. If anyone has an FFB wheel, or see the wheels in slomo, they'll know what I mean. Otherwise, it handles very well, and is fun on track as well.

11. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

Hmm, you may still have the 0.9 release? 0.9.1 brought some major improvements to the front suspension design. I think it's pretty solid now.

12. Zipppy

Zipppy
    Expand Collapse

I'm using 0.91, unless I forgot to clear the cache.

13. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

I did have to compromise on the stiffness of the steering hydro. If I made it stiff enough not to jiggle at all, FFB forces became very weak. I think it's sort of a limitation on the current ffb code. If you are comfortable editing the jbeam a little, you can go to to ke17_suspension_F.jbeam and scroll to the bottom. You will see this:

Code:
    "hydros": [			["id1:","id2:"],
    			{"beamPrecompression":1.0, "beamType":"|NORMAL", "beamLongBound":1, "beamShortBound":1},
    			{"beamSpring":[COLOR=#ff0000]2501000[/COLOR],"beamDamp":[COLOR=#ff0000]300[/COLOR],"beamDeform":95000,"beamStrength":150000},
    		    ["fh6r","s1l",{"factor":-0.19,"steeringWheelLock":720}],
    			{"beamPrecompression":1.0, "beamType":"|NORMAL", "beamLongBound":1, "beamShortBound":1},
    	],
    	}

Try playing with the values in red, higher numbers will cause it to shake less. If you go too high with either value the steering will break when it spawns. Try 5001000 for stiffness and maybe up to 1000 for damping. Your FFB will get weaker, all I can say is try to find a balance that you like :)

14. SquidBonez

SquidBonez
    Expand Collapse

SOOOO PRETTY! I almost don't want to smash it...but I'm gonna smash it.

15. Neidjel

Neidjel
    Expand Collapse

Does this have pressure wheels yet?

16. Spec Racer Z

Spec Racer Z
    Expand Collapse

Still have a craving for a certain other Toyota Sprinter, but this is a great little car to drive. It deforms and handles fairly well at this stage of beta, and it's fun to try and get it around Ebisu Touge as fast as possible. Only complaint I have is how slowly it seems to steer with an Xbox 360 controller. Going from half lock to full lock in the other direction takes over a second. By that point, your mild slide has likely escalated into a full on spin and sent you into a tree already. There also seems to be some strange behavior launching in first gear where it sometimes bogs down more than usual on certain terrains, and I've had a couple times on East Coast where the engine randomly died while launching.

17. TomiL88

TomiL88
    Expand Collapse

Sounds like a normal behavior to me. 60´s car, no power steering, slow steering gear

18. cuytastic101

cuytastic101
    Expand Collapse

This seems accurate... IRL the car has ~60hp and similar torque output. At peak. Trying to "launch" this thing is like dumping the clutch on a moped. Little happens, and half the time you'll kill it.

19. Spec Racer Z

Spec Racer Z
    Expand Collapse

I get that when standing still or trying to get it to turn in more, but wouldn't it actually be more difficult to try and hold the steering straight in a slide rather than naturally countersteering without power steering? I see people keeping the front wheels facing the direction of travel in fairly aggressive slides in both the trailers I've looked at, and my concern is that the car isn't able to do this using a controller because there's no assistance by force feedback in turning to face the direction of travel. I don't have a wheel to check if this is true, or if I'm just expecting 60's touring car performance from a 60's consumer road car. I mean, it's called a Sprinter. That adds, like, 10 more figurative horsepower.

#199 Spec Racer Z, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  20. myfabi94

myfabi94
    Expand Collapse

This is the one car I have the most time driving in. I love the way it leans into turns, it's just Fabulous.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice