WIP Beta released 1969 Toyota Corolla Sprinter Update 0.9.1

Discussion in 'Land' started by Goosah, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

Re: 1969 Toyota Corolla Sprinter

Thanks, the drift car is a bit of a real life art project. It's fun to have the freedom to do whatever you want to your car with spray cans and cutting discs rather than meticulous detailing etc. That, and the incredible amounts of track time available on drift days (over autocross), is what attracts me to drifting. These are the kind of shenanigans I got up to (until I crashed it lol)

IMG_4651small.jpg IMG_0718 (1).jpg 6314361766_1aae87243d_b.jpg 6497873665_398b7a7b76_o.jpg zIMG_20130716_173857_2.jpg

As for my Sprinter, it looks like this right now. I should be working on it instead of the model, but I'm a bit overwhelmed with the real life project, and 3d modelling doesn't cost money!
    IMG_20130825_171841.jpg

Since this is the BeamNG forum, back to the model! Last night I fixed the windshield area. The original cutout I made in the mesh was too small so I had to redo it all. With that fixed I finished the seal and window geometry and moved to the inside, creating the inside model of the floorpan and dashboard. The dashboard on these cars is steel and welded to the body as a somewhat structural member, so I am leaving it combined with the body shell mesh. The dashpad and gauge cluster may be separated at a later date. Don't mind the mirrored gauge cluster ;) The glove box panel is actually the same dimensions as the gauge cluster, so I will delete that mirrored cluster at some point and replace it with a smooth panel.

Screenshot 2014-06-27 12.52.07a.jpg Screenshot 2014-06-27 12.53.15a.jpg Screenshot 2014-06-27 12.58.18a.jpg

Small progress I guess. I need to gather some courage and dive into .jbeam soon!

#21 Goosah, Jun 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  2. shockwaffleman

shockwaffleman
    Expand Collapse

JDM version! (jk) But I hope there be a similar drift option similar to yours, 'cuz that looks sick dawg! (jk jk don't stab me)

Oops, was already mentioned :p

3. Blockman

Blockman
    Expand Collapse

Wow that drift car is boss! I'm really excited for this car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

5. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

^^Not me lol, a good friend. Don't let people draw on you with chalk if you are offended by dongs.

I scaled my car to real units in preparation of making the jbeam instead of sticking it on the hatch.

Corolla WB: 90in
    Hatch WB: 98in

Screenshot 2014-06-27 18.47.43_2.jpg
    People don't realize how small these cars are. In my drift car the racing seats sit bolster to bolster beside each other and nearly touch the doors as well. Can't get into the back seat without removing a window!

6. xKryptx

xKryptx
    Expand Collapse

This is kickass, well done man!
    Love the old rolla's and this definitely does it justice.

7. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

Hello all, I haven't given up on this, but jbeam is kicking my ass. I have been modifying the hatch jbeam, and while it suits the front of the car and cabin well, it doesn't fit the fastback-like shape of the Sprinter, leading to the need to delete and add some beams. I added a few the other day, and then today noticed a few more to add to fix the c pillar area.

First, I tried using Masa's NodeBeam Editor. I successfully added the beams I needed, exported the file, and it loaded in the game. However, my new beams were nowhere to be found!

I checked the jbeam that the editor created, the beams were there and the syntax seemed fine. I then tried manually pasting the new beams into the original file that I had backed up before saving over with the editor, and had the same result, which rules out the editor being a cause of the problem.

I added the new beams in with the other c pillar beams

The mesh and jbeam load without errors, but the new beams haven't shown up.

I know its reading the file that I'm modifying because if I introduce a syntax error in the jbeam file, the game crashes on ctrl+c.

The beams do not show up as broken nor does anything seem to go flying or explode on loading.

halp

Screenshot 2014-07-08 00.50.53.jpg

Screenshot 2014-07-08 00.50.59.jpg

Screenshot 2014-07-08 01.03.03.jpg

Edit: Bonus crash pic

Screenshot 2014-06-28 00.10.58a.jpg

edit: 2 of them show up when I load the rear panel in the parts selection (I don't have a mesh assigned to it) but the ones from the rf3l/r to the rear shock tower still arent there...

edit: Nope, the 2 outer ones show up now regardless off the rear panel, but the ones to the shock tower, still nothing. Also, I tried reinserting some beams I commented out before and they don't show up either!! There is no logic in this place.

- - - Updated - - -

I figured it out! BeamNG was reading both hatch.jbeam and hatchbackup.jbeam with very unpredictable results. Sometimes changes in one file showed up, sometimes they didnt. So, dont make the same mistake I did and leave your backup or any other jbeam files in the folder!!

#27 Goosah, Jul 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  8. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

stick the .old extension on the end of backup files is what I do.

9. Quannix

Quannix
    Expand Collapse

Glad to see this project is still going on. I just can't wait to play this in-game.

10. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

So, I have been trying to get towards a chassis with a solid rear axle and a strut front end. First work has been on the rear end. Problem is, I've spent the last 6 hours troubleshooting, and the physics just spaz out immediately.

First, I stripped down the hatch.jbeam, removing the roof, quarter panels, and rear suspension specific nodes/beams. I added a few reinforcements between the frame and the firewall to keep it from being too floppy.

Then, I moved the rear frame nodes around a little to better suit the solid axle.

Then, I took the d15 rear axle assembly, studied it for hours, figured out what the hell was going on, then began migrating it over to fit the hatch, connecting all the locating and limiter beams to similar spots on the hatch chassis. At this point I began renaming everything to suit a new vehicle. Instead of hatch_body, its now ke17_body and etc. Did find and replace on all the files and renamed the files themselves. There were some discrepancies in the way the d15 and hatch name things, which I think I rectified.

After some errors in the console dealt with, the instability problem showed up. Bare shell, fine. Throw all the doors on, seats, etc, fine. Add the live axle, instant instability in the whole system. I've spent 6 hours now trying to find a problem in naming, commenting out beams, removing stuff from the jbeams like the drivetrain and front suspension, all to no avail. Nothing influences the behavior except adding the axle or not. Shocks, springs, wheels change nothing.

I can watch it in 1/100 time, every node and beam just spazzes immediately, no cause is evident. In real time it just freezes the physics and I don't get to see anything.

This is killing me, any of you 3 or 4 guys that can actually do this stuff have any suggestions??

First frame: Chassis with no axle
    Screenshot 2014-07-09 17.27.26.jpg
    2nd frame: Chassis with axle, beginning to crumple
    Screenshot 2014-07-09 17.27.49.jpg
    3rd frame: yeah
    Screenshot 2014-07-09 17.27.52.jpg

Attached Files:

11. Bakasan

Bakasan
    Expand Collapse

Generally when the physics freezes, it implies something is wrong with the syntax (i.e a missed or inappropriate symbol somewhere in the jbeam). If this particular syntax error is in the rear suspension jbeam, then adding the rear axle would freeze the physics, as you described.

On the other hand, if the physics works fine, but the jbeam structure implodes and what not, that implies that the structure itself is unstable, and won't work. It can also be caused by unbalanced values between node weight and beam damping values (if you lightened the rear axle to suit the KE17 specification, which I imagine is a lot lighter than a D15's rear axle, you may have to adjust beam damping to suit). Sometimes it can be caused by the actual structure of the jbeam (Once when I made a rear axle, it's structure caused it to explode), but if you're basing it off the D15 then this should not be a problem.

12. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

Nothing has changed really on the axle or the locators, limiters, shocks, etc. When I comment all the beams out that connect the axle to the frame, everything still implodes lol. I tried making a static object with the same nodes/beams from the axle, it was stable. I'm so confused.

13. Narwhal

Narwhal
    Expand Collapse

open console by pressing the ~ key and tell us what it says, or post a screenshot.

14. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

The log file is in my last post above. Basically other than mesh binding errors (which to my knowledge don't cause a problem with the jbeam working) its just a bunch of breaking beams and then the physics pauses due to instability.

15. Narwhal

Narwhal
    Expand Collapse

oh yea. didnt see that. dang that sucks. if i knew more about jbeam i would try help more

16. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

I have gotten the rear axle and wheels to stay put and not explode! However, only as long as the shocks and springs are not installed in the parts configuration. Even if I comment out the actual beams of the shock and spring in the suspension_r.jbeam, it still explodes. The rear tires go first, then the fronts, then everything else, then crash to desktop. Even when it doesn't go unstable, when I reset there is a violent wobble in the rear tires that dissipates in a half second as well as occasional visual glitches like something is rushing off the screen. Terrible Slenderman sounds occur while this is happening, so I think the true cause is obvious!

17. n0ah1897

n0ah1897
    Expand Collapse

I'm really excited to see how this turns out. Great work so far!

18. randomshortguy

randomshortguy
    Expand Collapse

LOL I know what you mean. When the engine and tires freak out it plays the sound of the idling engine as well as tire screeching.

Anyway best of luck with this, looking forward to the release.

Also, if the shocks tend to explode I find that making them do nothing (damping=0) can alleviate the explosives and make the real problem be apparent.

19. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

By increasing the wheel node weights by about 50% I was able to make it stable, have no idea why. Not ideal though because my desired wheel is about as light or lighter than the hatch wheel I took the initial values from! However, now, if I remove the wheels, everything explodes, whereas before it was stable until I loaded the wheels. Also, all 4 wheels explode simultaneously, despite the front suspension and chassis being unmodified hatch parts.

It really seems strange to me, like a bug in the game code that for example, with the car (chassis, axles, wheels) stable, I can load a part that doesnt have any actual beams (commented out), and therefore should be just nothing, and the wheels/car explodes. There's literally no physical change to the loaded beams and nodes, and yet boom. It's like it loads something in anyways that affects the physics when all the part contains is beamstrength etc parameters. But without a beam to apply them to, those values should not be used for anything am I right? It was so illogical that for the first while I was sure it was a naming/syntax problem, but if there is I can't find it after 8 or more hours of messing around. With the tools available, all I can do is go to 1/100 time and watch it explode in slow motion before it crashes the game, without any real indicator of the root cause. Just stabbing in the dark removing and adding parts, changing node weights, adding beams etc.

I really wish for some better tools to analyze these things, like real time stress in nodes causing a change in color, or highlighting beams with high accelerations or something, and maybe 1/1000 time, since the instability still happens very fast at 1/100.

Other issues are:

The jbeam won't load in the real time editor, citing a json error that as far as I can tell doesnt exist (it doesnt say which jbeam file, and gives a line that isnt a problem in any of them). Yet the game doesn't give an error. This happened recently, after my quest to fix the stability problem, so at least it wasn't the original cause of instability.

For some reason the transmission and differential don't show up in the parts menu and the cars wheels seem directly connected to the engine. The jbeams look the same as the hatches and and the .cs. Also something that started happening along the way.

Visual glitches when I load my car, and often the camera jumps to the netherworld and I can't get it back without restarting the game. Just started recently

The sound craps out when I load my car, and I have to restart my computer to get it back. Just started recently.

I feel like starting from scratch :(

20. Bakasan

Bakasan
    Expand Collapse

Hmmm, If you've swapped jbeam parts from a variety of cars, this could be the problem:

"selfCollisionThickness":0.02,
    "remoteCollisionThickness":0.06,
    "scalenodeWeight":0.62,
    "scalebeamSpring":0.46,
    "scalebeamDamp":0.58,
    "scalebeamDeform":0.39,
    "scalebeamStrength":0.51,

You will generally find this part at the beginning of each jbeam (and sometimes throughout). Essentially,they globally scale the stated aspects of each node/beam in the jbeam (for instance, a "scalenodeweight" setting of 0.5 would scale all the node weights to half of what they are defined as, effectively halving the weight of the structure). Not all of these values may be present in latter jbeams, however they all have coherent values. As far as I can work out from some testing, every appearance of these global modifiers have to have coherent values (i.e if you set the node weight scale to 0.5 in the main jbeam, every other jbeam's node weight scale must be 0.5). Generally, set these values to numbers that divide well (i.e 0.5, 0.2 ect..) and do the weight tuning and such on each individual node/beam selection, rather than these scalers.

Anyway, it appears that these scale values for each of Gabester's cars varies, meaning that interchanging parts will cause this problem. Try using the Covet's scaling (the values above) in place of the D15's in the rear axle, and any other part not from the covet and see if it makes a difference. You may have to tune certain node weights and beam deforms individually as the Covet's scale may not suit the D15. Generally, I think it does not do anything too bad (i.e it should not explode or anything of the sort)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice