WIP Beta released 1969 Toyota Corolla Sprinter Update 0.9.1

Discussion in 'Land' started by Goosah, Jun 24, 2014.

1. MrAngry

MrAngry
    Expand Collapse

Re: 1969 Toyota Corolla Sprinter

That model you have there looks photorealistic! You are doing an awesome job so far.

2. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

I got Xoliul Viewport Shader working, sort of, for the following screen grabs (Direct3d, not renders!). Shadows don't seem to work, but I feel like this is very much what the car will look like in game. The model with wheels right now is about 50k tris, still needs seats, steering column/wheel, and doodads like knobs, mirrors and wipers. I could probably knock some polies out of the body shell but we'll see if it really matters whether its 50k or 75k. The jbeam will be fairly simple like the hatch so the car shouldn't be a resource hog. I'm feeling fairly comfortable with the workings of JBeam now, just time to get to work! Model is locked down until the Jbeam is good!

ke17front34oct13.jpg ke17rear34oct13.jpg ke17dashoct13.jpg

#62 Goosah, Oct 13, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  3. Cpt.Teewurst

Cpt.Teewurst
    Expand Collapse

wow nice man, awesome car can i smell a beta? :D

4. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

I have spent many hours creating the jbeam, still having issues with mesh spikes even on areas of the mesh that are right next to nodes. My firewall and dash, as well as the rear valance, all do it really bad :/ Big random holes tunnelled through, like 1 vertex that just goes out to lunch. Tried lots of things, several variations of structures in the firewall and rear end/c pillar area, to no avail. Started basically as hatch structure, then evolved, but very little improvement to the spikes. This being such a delicate car with no crumple zone or cabin reinforcement, there is going to be a lot of cabin intrusion and folding of the a pillars in a decent head on. That, coupled with a steel dash, is going to pose a real challenge. So far, the damage is realistic at low speeds, but when speeds get higher and there is deformation in the firewall c pillar area, things go out to lunch.

I know its really hard to decipher jbeam structures from pictures, but here goes nothing. The firewall is now two rows deep at the top, with the a pillar mounting to the rear, because the Corolla has a longer cowl area than the hatch.

Screenshot 2014-10-17 23.37.25.png

Screenshot 2014-10-17 23.37.33.png
    Screenshot 2014-10-17 23.41.11.jpg
    Screenshot 2014-10-17 23.41.17.jpg

5. Bakasan

Bakasan
    Expand Collapse

Hmm, strange. It appears that you've adjusted the jbeam to fit pretty well on the KE17, so I don't really know why it's spiking like that. One option is to use a scratch made jbeam tailored exactly to the model. If you create a low poly mesh with a verticy at every node, like so:
    jbeam round 2.png
    You can use blender to export this model into nodes (just delete the edges and faces first) and connect up the nodes with beams.

It's also very important that the jbeam follows the edgeloops of the model, otherwise it seems to give strange effects, i.e spikey bits.

Anyway, the jbeam I used on the Banpei didn't result in any spikey stuff, although that model has less polys than this, which may change things. Regardless, I think that if your jbeam fits perfectly and follows all the main edgeloops, there should be no odd effects.

Also, from my experience, having large amounts of mesh where there are no nodes usually results in the mesh spiking (I guess because the next node is not exactly on the mesh, weird stuff happens). You should ideally have some nodes right on the face of the dash, that way it won't spike. You should always avoid having mesh where there are no nodes, it will usually deform badly.

6. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

Hard to tell from my photos, but my jbeam actually looks nearly identical to what you showed, which would make sense as the body style is similar.

I currently have the dash face as a separate part, and there are 6 dash nodes envoloping the face of the dash. As a result, the dash panel stays very predictable. However, the dash top is still incorporated with the body mesh, and although it is linked to the same nodes, it goes apeshit! as does everything in the upper firewall to roof areas.

Both parts are linked to the same node groups, yet behave totally different. I am starting to think that maybe having complicated geometry, such as inner fenders, a firewall, and pillars, all intersecting, and double walled at that, is giving it some trouble. If I split the body up into separate parts, the deformation seems to getless spikey, but then there are obvious gaps at the seams between parts.

7. Bakasan

Bakasan
    Expand Collapse

Another thing I just noticed there were some broken beams. If beams are breaking in the chassis, then the node is going to fly away and do odd things. Try setting all of the beamsStrengths to "FLT_MAX" while debugging, and see if that helps.

8. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

Hmm, the plot thickens. In the crashed photo, there are broken beams from rf1 to f6l and f6r. But in the uncrashed photos, those beams do not exist!

The other beams are engine limiters, I'm pretty sure its ok for those to break...

edit: Plot thinned. Those were beams from glass.jbeam. I updated them to meet at the correct nodes, no change to mesh spikes.

#68 Goosah, Oct 19, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  9. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

It has been an exhausting 6 days, but I now have essentially a feature complete jbeam. However, for ease of troubleshooting mesh spikes, everything is overly weak. 20mph head on crashes tend to result in massive A-pillar crunching, metal dashboard to the face style structure collapse. Which probably isnt that far from real haha. Its been a rather morbid experience, I'm going to be even more scared of SUVs while driving my freshly restored auto around :/

To do before Beta release:

Modelling:
    Steering column and wheel
    3K-C engine and K40 transmission (discarding current 3T-C/T-50 model for now)
    Detailed grille
    Bumper detail
    Seats
    Interior accessories

Jbeam:
    Refine beam strengths
    Add more anti-Stretch and support beams
    Tune coltri drag
    Get hubcaps to work
    Get lighting to work

Texturing:
    Everything. Won't get too crazy before Beta release though.

Screenshots!

Screenshot 2014-10-22 21.51.27.jpg Screenshot 2014-10-25 00.49.59.jpg Screenshot 2014-10-25 00.51.41.jpg Screenshot 2014-10-25 00.52.06.jpg Screenshot 2014-10-25 00.51.56.jpg Screenshot 2014-10-25 00.58.33.jpg Screenshot 2014-10-25 00.58.56.jpg Screenshot 2014-10-25 00.59.09.jpg Screenshot 2014-10-25 00.59.58.jpg

Oh, also, I have done some work on the handling. The front strut design may still need a redesign for more stiffness, but overall I'd say it handles rather authentically (poorly). The unsprung weight of the rear end made it a bit of a handful on bumpy highways, but in the back I've snuck a little toe in and used lateral links that cause some roll steer in the back end, this really helps counter the current tire models dartiness problems.

#69 Goosah, Oct 25, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  10. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

Lovely :rolleyes:

11. Bakasan

Bakasan
    Expand Collapse

Beautiful. It looks as though you've perfectly adjusted the jbeam to suit the KE17, which you don't see that often, so well done! the model looks perfect as well, no shading errors to be seen anywhere, which is something to be proud of.

As far as rigidity, it should be such that there is minimal visible flex while normal driving, although this car, as you probably know is most likely not all that rigid compared to other cars, such that it crumples a lot. Keep in mind as well that you can use beams as a means of chassis rigidity increasing (i.e using strengthening beams to simulate a roll cage and tower braces).

That's about all I can think of, I guess it's just a matter of completing the model now;)

12. TomiL88

TomiL88
    Expand Collapse

That is awesome. Great job!

13. MotionPanda

MotionPanda
    Expand Collapse

Awesome! My. favorite car too :p.

14. myfabi94

myfabi94
    Expand Collapse

Me. Want. Now.

15. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

screenshot_00008.jpg

Jbeam is BETA ready.

This has been a very challenging car to jbeam due to the steel dash, tiny bumpers and panel clearances (clipping and self-collision problems), and sever crumpling in accidents. It's not perfect, but I don't think anybody will be dissapointed. I referenced what I could for deformation levels from 1970sToyota and Datsun crash videos, and this thing buckles like a tin can, just like the test cars :)

In stock form it is slow, but it feels lively. I feel its about as true to real life handling as the tire model can manage. It's rwd, but due to the low hp, not very slidey. I found reducing damping values for all the beams while maximizing stiffness/mass ratio had a very positive effect on handling. Previously I had been upping the damping on suspension/steering/axle beams trying to reduce vibrations, but it actually made things worse. Now, the rear end has some roll steer and toe in to help keep it stable, and I can cruise the rough highway of Blackhills at 70mph without much drama, keyboard or otherwise. I am including a "Sport Tuned" option with a bit more HP, a LSD, and lower/stiffer springs. I might get around to a sporty wheel and tire model before Beta release as well.

I'm now moving back into 3dsmax for detail and UV maps. Once I have seats and interior details, the correct engine, and UV maps for all the things, it will be ready to release! I've never done UV stuff and am so-so with paint programs, so it's impossible to give an ETA at this point.

16. Dc5R

Dc5R
    Expand Collapse

Wow , good work ! looking forward to this

17. Royal_Stig

Royal_Stig
    Expand Collapse

Looks really good, can't wait!

18. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

But wait you must! Still puttering away at modelling. My last two evenings were spent enjoying the new update by exploring East Coast (success!), experimenting with FFB(some success), and trying to get LFS Car Sound Remixer to work through Outgauge (failed).

Completed:

Driveshaft
    3KC Engine
    K40 Trans
    Pedals (Auto and Std)
    Steering Wheel/Column
    Steering Box and Steering Gear
    Heater Box (lol)
    Manual Shifter
    Final body panel poly flow tweaks

To Do:
    Grille
    A10 auto trans
    Seats
    Interior doodads
    Mirrors
    Exhaust
    Auto shifter
    Radiator and hoses
    ..and probably more things
    3kc2.jpg
    interiornov13.jpg

19. Zero

Zero
    Expand Collapse

Holy damn, this is gonna be SO epic.

20. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

Starting to burn out.. must... finish.

I gave up making an auto trans, who the hell is going to drive this thing with a 2 speed Toyoglide anyways. I'm pretty sure all that's left to tackle is mirrors and wipers. Oh and a spare tire well in the body shell. I have to stop somewhere though.

This week I should start learning UV unwrap n map.

More progress shots.

ke17frontnov20.jpg
    dat grille. 3k tris!

ke17gutsnov20.jpg

ke17enginenov20.jpg

ke17rear34nov20.jpg

ke17intnov20.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice