Released 1980 Typical American Fullsize Series

Discussion in 'Land' started by SergentFido, Aug 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brown_Diplomat

Brown_Diplomat
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Your already requesting despite the mod not being done.

• Like Like x 1
  2. SergentFido

SergentFido
    Expand Collapse

Considering it took me one year to make this mod and that i don't like the 1996 Regency, the answer is probably nope.
    Same year but Cadillac Deville, maybe, but i don't think i will go on with a fullsize car, something else more likely.

• Like Like x 1
  3. B727ClassicFlyer

B727ClassicFlyer
    Expand Collapse

Wait... A whole year? That's dedication right there in itself.

• Like Like x 1
  4. SergentFido

SergentFido
    Expand Collapse

I ment one year while working, having a family life, playing to BeamNG, having holidays. Who could work on a mod one year full days ?
    But still some hundred hours of work so working late at night and lacking sleep was usual the previous year.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Brown_Diplomat

Brown_Diplomat
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

That's actually pretty impressive for a mod maker.

6. B727ClassicFlyer

B727ClassicFlyer
    Expand Collapse

Those who care about the community, and dedicates their time and energy into said project.

7. SergentFido

SergentFido
    Expand Collapse

Of course i agree but i mean, we all need to work to live and also to make mods, so it's just not that easy, unless being very young, still living at our parent's house, not studying.
    But working at home and having the possibility to arrange my time as i want is the key reason i was able to do that.
    Also i like to finish something when it begins to be serious, so sometimes it can be a problem, i like details and all of this is very time consuming.
    Anyway, V1.0 is close to finish so if the community likes it, we'll see to go on with it with the V2.0.

• Like Like x 2
  8. kaotik_inc

kaotik_inc
    Expand Collapse

Can't wait for this!! Amazing work!

9. 2swede4u

2swede4u
    Expand Collapse

The 307 Is the same block as the Oldsmobile 350. You could also order a Chevy 305!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Brown_Diplomat

Brown_Diplomat
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Sarge:have you ever thought of making a beater version with corroded exhaust,worn brakes,mismatched hubcaps and worn interior.

• Like Like x 1
  11. silvermanblu

silvermanblu
    Expand Collapse

Looks amazing bud. I converted a bunch of Paul B's bigbodies for Rigs of Rods. Would be nice to relive the glory days in beamng.

• Like Like x 3
  12. SergentFido

SergentFido
    Expand Collapse

Thanks to all.
    SilvermanBlue, indeed i discovered your conversions a few weeks ago only. It was a fun surprise. I've downloaded Ror just to see them.
    But to say it in a simple way, my model isn't a conversion.
    I will detail more all the making of process for those who are interested but indeed the project started with Paul B low poly version of the Regency.
    At the beginning i was only playing, trying to get a model in game.
    Then i wanted to learn a lot more and go on with the project. My Purpose was to do my own car, the Delta 88, that only shares the front end and front Doors with the Regency.
    But as this Regency base existed, i thought why not doing the two cars, and all of the bodies of the same year ?
    So i purchased to Paul the right to use his Regency as a base, and to have the right to remodel it completly if necessary. He agreed with a written license between us.

As the blue print are inexistent for those cars, and as Paul did a good job for the overall shape, i used it like what i would call a "3D blue print".
    My regency is fully remodeled. On the original model all the front end is a bit off, the headlight are squares, the fenders profile way to straight and sharp.
    I've erased it and redone it complety using documentation, basicaly front, side photos, that were taken with zoom, so it's squeeze the perspective.
    It's not 100 % accurate but way smoother and close to my own car.
    For the body and doors it's the same, i got the dimensions and global shape with the reference model but redone all.
    I own a Delta 88 so i saw missing lines, shapes. Also it's not that i found the original bad, it was just a pleasure to do this work.
    Some global shapes had to be changed, they were too straights so seing the car from 3/4 front view, we could see sharp angles between front fenders, doors, and quartel panel, for something that is a long curve from front to rear in reality.

Also as it was done in sketchup without the purpose of having it optimised for a game, this model contained all the typical little issues that occurs with this sofware : too low poly at some places, and a bunch of vertices for little details like front signal outline that could contain hundreds of vertices. So it was definitly better to redo all.

I have to add for people reading that the model had any interior, any thichkness of panels, all things i had to figure out how to do to get it look pretty in game.

It's only because i felt more confortable relying on an existing base, to learn modelling in blender, and doing textures, and so on. I was more used to 3DS4 when i worked in videogames.
    But i don't want to dismiss Paul work, it's impressive considering is a young student and did that car in 2010 or 2011 (so maybe13/14 years old?) and i hope he'll do more models in the future.
    It's just to avoid comments from reading in diagonals people like "HE whot, you did nothin, just convert 10 minuts of work" :p

Also again, not telling by all that speech that my model is perfect, it's a learning project so it contains flaws, things i would do better now that i feel more comfortable with blender.
    Getting the Regency in game using a base got me prepared to make my Delta 88 then after, which i did all by myself.

--- Post updated ---
    I won't show all the content before release, but of course, as i did a used and corroded classic van skins for Ar162B, there will be beater versions of the two cars indeed.
    It's mostly what i prefer to do because it involves more creation process than the base panels texturing (which are very interesting as well though) and we can imagine a story behing those very used cars.

But for those who are impatient, if your look very closely to the teaser pics, you can find one beater car in them ;)

#112 SergentFido, Aug 18, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
    • Like Like x 5
  13. Plymouth Superbird 1970

Plymouth Superbird 1970
    Expand Collapse

No problem Fido, I am always happy to give feedback.
    --- Post updated ---
    Is it just me or did I see a starsky and hutch oldsmobile in the background?

14. SergentFido

SergentFido
    Expand Collapse

Ha ha, no, it's a firechief car :D

15. Plymouth Superbird 1970

Plymouth Superbird 1970
    Expand Collapse

Lol! I was wondering why the S&H car would have two lights, and now I know :p

16. Peterbilt

Peterbilt
    Expand Collapse

Fido, I so very hope you've got some custom sounds for the diesel. I don't know if you could get the experience across without some proper sounds.

17. SergentFido

SergentFido
    Expand Collapse

Hey Peterbilt my friend, i received you PM yesterday, i'm so busy with home work i didn't had time to answer, but i'll do in a moment.

I tried to do custom sounds for each vehicle, so for the diesel too. It's wip and would be subject to changes, we'll see what is coming in the next updates of the game with new sounds.
    --- Post updated ---
    Okay so with your answer and peterbilt suggestion, you can know consider the car has a 307ci. This thing must be as slow as the diesel, i check the specs right now :p

EDIT> hey no, in 1980 this engine had 150hp and perfomed 0-60mph in 12,5 seconds, it's not that slow at all (17,5 seconds for the Diesel).

#117 SergentFido, Aug 18, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  18. silvermanblu

silvermanblu
    Expand Collapse

Yeah Paul is a pretty cool guy. I was kicking around the idea of putting his Malibu's ingame. I doubt they would be on par with what you're doing though. My converts were rather low quality, I basically set them up as background cars, Thats what the prop cars was about. I mean I had 20 of them spawned and my frames didn't dip below 30... But thats RoR, Beamng is a completely different animal. Looking forward to trying out the Olds, and good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  19. SergentFido

SergentFido
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the kind message and explanations SilvermanBlue. Soon you'll be able to give feedback on the Olds, the mod finishing is on the good way to the release.
    I saw in your blog that you converted a lot of cars indeed.
    Paul will be able to do awesome cars for games i think.

• Like Like x 3
  20. B727ClassicFlyer

B727ClassicFlyer
    Expand Collapse

Sergent: I'm so excited for this mod, considering my mom drove one of these cars, not sure which bodystyle though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice