WIP 1983-2001 Jeep Cherokee & Comanche (XJ and MJ)

Discussion in 'Land' started by atomspeed123, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Ayca

Ayca
    Expand Collapse

do N O T ask when things will come out, it puts stress on them sometimes and its very annoying.

2. FordKing

FordKing
    Expand Collapse

upload_2021-2-11_14-13-21.jpeg

• Like Like x 7
  3. LittleDrMoab

LittleDrMoab
    Expand Collapse

As a comanche owner and coming from a XJ family, im very excited to hear that the project is back on. good luck with finals my guy! keep your head up

Attached Files:

• image0.jpg
    • Like Like x 2
  4. bobyb55

bobyb55
    Expand Collapse

i recognize that MJ from instagram lol

5. LittleDrMoab

LittleDrMoab
    Expand Collapse

probably my dads. hes got a lot more followers than my page. if you look at his IG name it will line up with mine

• Like Like x 1
  6. moses72

moses72
    Expand Collapse

7. Stanky110

Stanky110
    Expand Collapse

I can't wait for this to come out!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Stanky110

Stanky110
    Expand Collapse

this will be a good asset to beamNG.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. atomspeed123

atomspeed123
    Expand Collapse

Alright. So, hopefully I get some stuff done in this 2.5 week holiday I've just started after today.

Anyone who's interested in the progress on the real Jeep this car is being based around, check out my Instagram with this link. Sometimes I post stuff about the other cars we have. The Cherokee had most of its lower end engine seals changed and now leaks no oil (for now), so I'm more motivated to be creative with it.

I can't say when this thing will be out and there's definitely no solid release date, don't get too excited yet! I think I already mentioned it'll start off on Hopper levels of detail with just the 1997-2001 cars, then I'll expand it, hopefully a lot.

Like before, anyone with a real XJ or people who would like to offer help with JBeam, modelling or textures, let me know by PM or on Discord (@ggreen#8575). I'd really appreciate it, it might also help get the car ready sooner.

Hopefully some more progress shots should come soon.

• Like Like x 11
  10. Cacline72

Cacline72
    Expand Collapse

11. CaptainNoobacus

CaptainNoobacus
    Expand Collapse

ah I see you are a english boi, Nice condition that xj is in. I can't believe you found one in such good condition since they are so rare

12. Fredr3x

Fredr3x
    Expand Collapse

I love you have an Austin Farina lol, my dad has a Rover P5B

13. atomspeed123

atomspeed123
    Expand Collapse

It's my dad's. Being an Orvis with a 4.0 in it, it's one of only 220 left on the road as of Q3 2020 (https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/jeep_cherokee_orvis_auto) but I'm not one to brag about rarity or condition. What matters to me is it's a fairly honest car with 110,000 miles, not showroom but not beat up. Great for using and caring for, but not enough to sit and keep watch over day and night.

There are some pics on my Instagram of it if you're interested. While it's being restored, there's a good chance I'll try bringing that one to BeamNG too but I can't promise anything, just like with the Cherokee. There's a great story attached to that A40, I'm not sure if I've mentioned it before. It's a car I don't think I'll ever get rid of even when petrol is an enthusiast-only holy grail, but that's a story for another time.

I'm toying with the idea of maybe crowdfunding the restoration but I'm not sure enough people care. It's a shame, not people know about the Farina cars, very forgotten. I'm only 17, so I don't have a license or parents with bottomless wallets enough to fix the car. I'd be interested to hear if people do want to try supporting it, maybe I'll set up a Patreon or something to go along with making these mods. Just a thought.

• Like Like x 1
  14. TheShipMaster

TheShipMaster
    Expand Collapse

how has the update affected the development of the mod? a LOT of mods got ruined by the update.

15. Fredr3x

Fredr3x
    Expand Collapse

I'll have a look man, I love classic cars. I'm not old enough to drive unfortunately, but a Farina is a cool 1st car! I thought about bringing my dad's P5B to Beam with real life sounds but I realised how difficult it really was. I wouldn't sell it if I were you because there are very few examples like my dad's P5B which has been sitting for almost a year. It's top condition but it'll be back on the road soon as it needs its torque converter replaced. I think you're unfortunately right in saying that there probably won't be enough people to donate but hey, it's worth a shot! If it can help a little then that would help a lot. I'm glad that you chose the Farina because it is an underrated car and a very interesting one too. I doubt there's many still about

16. atomspeed123

atomspeed123
    Expand Collapse

It wasn't in-game at all anyway, so no harm done!

I didn't actually choose it, it was given to me by its late owner. I knew it very well because he'd had it since before I was born, and we went to his house very often. He got too old to look after it, and I managed to find myself with it not long before he passed sadly. Fortunately, it came to me, not the scrapheap which it almost certainly would've done. The A40 Farina Club is very eager to see how it'll turn out but like I say, I can't do much for the time being sadly. I do like my old English stuff. In fact I considered doing an old Range Rover Classic instead of this Jeep, but I felt it was only right to make a follow-up. Maybe next I'll do one of those. That P5 sounds great though.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Fredr3x

Fredr3x
    Expand Collapse

Good for you, very sad to see so many hauled off to the scrapyard when people pass because the family members don't know what to do with it. I love British cars too, like the old Jag MK2. I tried to learn some Blender but I'm not the best at it. I think both the Jeep and the Range Rover would be interesting mods especially because of Beams physics. My dad's P5B was also because someone else passed, so we managed to find some space and keep it. Hopefully we will use it more in the summer :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. atomspeed123

atomspeed123
    Expand Collapse

Just had this in my YouTube recommendations, if you were wondering, this is exactly why I'm bringing this car to this game.

This could be really good fun!

It also reminds me, even though the Hopper sound isn't bad (I haven't played the game since 0.21, so it may have changed) the real 4.0 engine sounds a lot meaner, as you can hear in the video. I might be getting my own sound samples from my dad's 2000 car, but it's a european one, so it has an acoustic chamber on the intake (so I might do an exclusive one for the euro configs). Anyway my point is, hopefully me and the other XJ owners helping will be able to bring you the true engine roar, because personally it's one of the car's coolest aspects.

Right now I'm checking the polyflow of some existing Beam car's body panels to gauge what I should be going for, then I'll start putting the body together. Hoping to have some stuff to show you guys by the end of today.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. 1086lee

1086lee
    Expand Collapse

My XJ has a full custom exhaust and a cat delete, if you'd like some sound clips or any other references just let me know. I'm also half-decent at texture editing but I'm not sure how much that's really needed at this point in development.

• Like Like x 2
  20. atomspeed123

atomspeed123
    Expand Collapse

The weather was right last night, so I did a few more Kinect scans. These ones have working textures, which is pretty useful. I'll be doing more tomorrow morning when the sun's still not directly on the car, because infrared sensors calibrated for a living room games console don't work well outside (hmm, who'd have guessed? :D)

The models are better than last time, only it looks weird because the light faded fast going towards the back of the car. Still, body panels incoming. A much better base like this makes me more confident.

I'm sometimes going to be doing live videos on Discord (my Discord, not the BeamNG one) of the WIP for this car, so if you're interested, PM me and I can send an invite link. I guess I could try doing YouTube streams but they always end up being worse.

I mean if it was any consolation, I'm playing the FM1 soundtrack while making this :p . Keeps me in the groove of the US, I guess.

• Like Like x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice