1995 Rover 200

Discussion in 'Community Mods - Archived' started by DanniBee, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Mythbuster

Mythbuster
    Expand Collapse

I have no idea what it is, but that side-view just doesn't seem accurate to me.
    If you google Fiat Cinquecento blueprints you get quite a lot of them.
    You can try and overlay these as well, and see if it still matches up:

(imported from here)

If it does, great, that probably just means I'm wrong.

If not, you're gonna have to find even more blueprints and just make the best of using them all together or something :/. With my Cadillac I'm using about 6 sets of blueprints. Basically the first set I used lined up really nicely between different views, but my model didn't look right... So I got another set, and it turned out the width was WAY off(like, litterally half a meter). However, the front and side ones on those didn't line up. Then the 3rd, 4th, and 5th set only had a side-view and had perspective in them, and the 6th was a slightly later model year which I thought was only different in bumpers, yet I found out they very subtly altered the bodypanels too. Even with the stage I'm at right now, I'm still remodeling *major* parts of the body because I keep finding stuff on pictures where I think "Nope, something is wrong".

I'm not saying your model is completely wrong or whatever, cause I don't know the Cinquecento's shape well enough. I do think something is off on the windscreen mainly. Just never go by just your blueprints. Your eyes and photographs(lots of em) are much more trustworthy than a guy who made a line-drawing of a car and posted it on the internet as "accurate blueprints". They really are more often wrong than they're right.

2. Kamil_

Kamil_
    Expand Collapse

Those wheels are like 2 inch wide xD

Actually, from that picture they're about 4, still tiny :p

3. DanniBee

DanniBee
    Expand Collapse

Cinquecento, again!

I went through my model again and it turns out most of it was pretty unworkable and far too inaccurate. Aside from those blueprints ( Thanks Mythbuster!) I have also collect around 30 or so reference images, so that way I can focus on getting the shape right. But I've pretty much just started again because there were too many polygons and loads of conflicting faces. Also I made it far too rounded, the Cinquecento is a very boxy car.

So yeah here's a quick progress report, nothing major yet but I feel this is far better already!

Capture.PNG

4. moosedks

moosedks
    Expand Collapse

if you get done with this and still want to model a boxier car you should try a 1980's suburban or pretty much any 1980's american car.

5. DanniBee

DanniBee
    Expand Collapse

Slight progress..

I've done some more mesh work on the Cinquecento and this model already feels a lot better and of a more accurate shape. Reference pictures help a lot!

Capture.PNG
    Quick screenshot shows that the door and rear of the car has been completed, and I'm very happy with how the wheel-arch turned out. :)

6. Davidbc

Davidbc
    Expand Collapse

lol it must be awesome to crash that fiat in beamng :D

7. Kamil_

Kamil_
    Expand Collapse

That looks awesome and the hood is only like, 20 polies? such a boxy car :D

(I got no idea, but don't the flexibodies work with the 3d model or do they just bend wherever?<-I really don't know.)

8. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

There is something that is similar to a skeleton underneath the car, This skeleton has what could be described as (incorrectly but similarly to) bones and joints. If the stress gets too much one 1 bone it will break or deform. The joints are there to hold the bones together, but the joints do not stop the bones from rotating. Therefore you build a structure with bones to prevent rotation. The 3D model is applied to that skeleton and the skeleton is made invisible. The 3D model is "attached" to joints on the skeleton, therefore if the skeleton bends/snaps so does the 3D model.

You could also think of the skeleton like scaffolding or metal beams on bridges (fun fact, the original version of this game engine was a bridge building game).

Just so you can learn the terminology:
    Joint = Node
    Bone = Beam
    Skeleton = N/B (Node/Beam)

Hope this helps people understand how this works

9. DanniBee

DanniBee
    Expand Collapse

I take it that's why the mesh always stretched in ROR because it couldn't simulate the mesh tearing in half correctly? In which case I hope it works in BeamNG well.

By the way the mesh is so basic at the moment because I am just getting the bodyshell completed, I will add a lot more detail later

10. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

yes, that us why the mesh always stretched (ususally) but you can make detachable bumpers which would be similar to tearing. if in rigs of rods you press "k" on your keyboard you can see the hidden n/b frame. if you press "t" you get realtime statistics including how many beams are damaged etc. you can also press "e" to cycle whether you want the game to display either the normal/ polygon /node views which can make it easier to see the n/b

11. Kamil_

Kamil_
    Expand Collapse

I know what beams and nodes are, but I didnt think that flexibodies still use them(I never did them in RoR)

12. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Flexbody is when a model is deformed with the n/b. Imagine you have a box, 4 nodes that creates the shape of the box, and beams as edges. If you move a node, the box changes how it appears. Now apply that to more nodes and beams, with a 3d model over it.

From RoR wiki

13. DanniBee

DanniBee
    Expand Collapse

Basic bodyshell is nearing completion, just got to finish the rear + front bumpers (which I'm finding a real struggle to model correctlyl) and the roof, so here's a quick progress piccy:

(imported from here)

Also I figured out how to use edge splitting, therefore I won't need to put as much detail where it is now not needed.

#33 DanniBee, Apr 12, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  14. DanniBee

DanniBee
    Expand Collapse

Capture.PNG

Playing about with materials, and I redid all the pillars and backend, now just the front to finish before the real detail starts!

15. Davidbc

Davidbc
    Expand Collapse

I'm really looking forward to crash with this car.

16. .Alpha

.Alpha
    Expand Collapse

That's a neat car you have there, it would be a shame if something, happened to it...

17. jeffbox

jeffbox
    Expand Collapse

Maybe with a Monster Truck :D

18. siebeiscool

siebeiscool
    Expand Collapse

ehhm this might be quite useless. but shouln'd you if you can rename the thrad, as its not a rover anymore.

19. ThingThing62

ThingThing62
    Expand Collapse

Useless? Naw, any criticism towards anything is encouraged as long as it's not meant to start a flame war. It is true that the thread should probably be renamed to suite the new vehicle it's based around so that people searching for it will have an easier time finding it.

P.S. Nice job on the car, I cant wait to try it out!

#39 ThingThing62, Apr 22, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  20. Davidbc

Davidbc
    Expand Collapse

I think when he said useless he was talking about changing the name to this post.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice