$20 on Steam...

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by Svpracer, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Svpracer

Svpracer
    Expand Collapse

Well, I just got $20 on steam and am wondering if any one has any suggestions on what game to get. I am interested in open-world games preferably in the racing/ simulation section. Also does anyone know if there will be a sale in the summer? I am fairly new to the steam community and would like any help/ suggestions that you may have.
    Thanks

2. n0ah1897

n0ah1897
    Expand Collapse

Wait for the summer sale that starts in early July usually. You might be able to pick up Assetto Corsa then.

3. B25Mitch

B25Mitch
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Designer
    BeamNG Team

Kerbal Space Program. Doesn't look like a simulator, but actually is. Is also ridiculously fun.

(imported from here)

(from XKCD)

4. Laxis88

Laxis88
    Expand Collapse

5. bunnns

bunnns
    Expand Collapse

Gta iv?

6. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

not really that good a suggestion, considering it does not have all that good optimization, the GFWL Servers are going to be shutdown on July 1st 2014 (meaning unless rockstar for some strange reason decides to do one last patch to replace gfwl with steamworks or something like that, no more multiplayer, and to save games you'll have to create an offline gfwl account)

7. tuningfreak1

tuningfreak1
    Expand Collapse

next car game

8. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Wait for summer sale.

I'd highly suggest Hitman Absolution.
    If you look for something that you can play till death, Just Cause 2 with the MP mod is good too.
    Also Garry's Mod of course.

9. diabLo2k5

diabLo2k5
    Expand Collapse

Next Car Game is nice, but still very early beta(early access). It is from Bugbear, which made Flatout 1/2/UC(not 3!) and Next Car Game will be the next Flatout. Just without that name :D but actually it has just 3 cars and 4-5 tracks or so. It will get more expensive in the future but still, rough beta.

When you are new to the community you should, maybe, favorite this sites:

http://humblebundle.com
    https://www.indiegala.com
    https://www.bundlestars.com
    http://groupees.com/
    http://www.indieroyale.com

There you get cheap bundles with plenty of Steam games most of the time, sometimes its Desura or just greenlight(Greenlight is from Steam, the users can vote for games which come then into the steam store at some point, like BeamNG, which got already "greenlighted").

10. Doug7070

Doug7070
    Expand Collapse

Here's a few titles that you can get for dirt cheap on a Steam sale that will get you maximum time output for money input:

Just Cause 2: open world action with a great multiplayer mod to boot. Generally available on sales for 2.50-5 USD
    The Binding of Isaac: randomly generated dungeon crawler with roguelike mechanics, generally available for a few dollars at most. Might not be for everyone, but it will provide you with hours of fun if it strikes your fancy
    Garry's Mod: sandbox Source engine modfest, can be had for 2.50-5 USD on sale, can potentially provide near-infinite entertainment. If you do get it, be sure to also get Counterstrike: Source (can be purchased for cheap bundled with Garry's Mod) and also download Team Fortress 2 (free to play)
    Kerbal Space Program: freeform spacecraft construction and space fight simulator, generally costs in the mid 20 USD range, but can be had for 10-15 during sales
    I don't really have much of a suggestion for a racing game, but if you're looking to spend a little money to kill a lot of time, check out the above games.

As was mentioned before, also check out the Humble Bundle, as it will generally provide you with assorted games for pennies on the dollar, and also benefits charity.

11. shockwaffleman

shockwaffleman
    Expand Collapse

Well, you shouldn't even have to consider picking Garry's mod up. I've played 200 hours and not even CLOSE to being sick of it.
    Next car game is also fun, but it's not so smooth and lacks some content. You might want to save that game for when it's getting closer to finished.
    If you like music, Audiosurf. No questions asked. Some sort of music-surfer with two player feature. I recently found out it is actually released in 2008. Looks like it came out in 2010, if you ask me.
    You have friends playing this game? You like multiple options? You like robbing banks and tossing bags? PayDay 1 or 2. Don't have friends playing? You'll still have fun.
    Kerbal Space Program as mentioned earlier. Lots of fun, and you'll learn space...stuff.

That's some of the games I can think of right now :)

12. Doug7070

Doug7070
    Expand Collapse

2593c44616.png
    Erm... yeah.
    Probably a good investment.

13. DrBeat

DrBeat
    Expand Collapse

Dirt 3
    Asseto corsa in sale time
    Nfs shift 2 (can be awesome with a handling correction mod)
    next car game
    TDU2
    Grid 1/2

14. Keepermaster

Keepermaster
    Expand Collapse

If you even find this on Steam:

"Better than BeamNG" - Me, being sarcastic
    "k" - spoderman

#14 Keepermaster, Jun 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  15. thevidmaster

thevidmaster
    Expand Collapse

i can second this with 90% of my steam hours being:

(imported from here)

16. diabLo2k5

diabLo2k5
    Expand Collapse

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice