A more 'numerically precise' color selector

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by B3_Burner, Jun 13, 2019.

1. B3_Burner

B3_Burner
    Expand Collapse

I know this might be a bit of a petty, nit-picky request, but I figure get all of them out of the way for now.

Regarding the color chooser in the vehicle configuration page (during game play... not in the garage)… might it be possible to allow for specific RGB / HSL / HSV numerical selection fields, so we can dial colors in more precisely, and know what their exact values are? Right now, one can only mouse-click and move the circle around the color box, or select the pre-determined color swatches below... but no numerical value is assigned to either choice. I suppose the value of "chrominess" (is that even a word?) can be akin to transparency-- transparent low, opaque high. HSL-T, or HSV-T? (Or would that be equivalent to an alpha-channel selector?). I don't know, but I think you might get what I'm driving at.

Also, when choosing a color swatch below, the circle in the color box above does not immediately jump to the point in the box where that new color belongs... it stays where the old one was from the prior mouse drag choice. Allowing us to see where in the grid the new swatch color lays, and what the new numbers for it are, would be helpful.

Finally, when dragging the mouse to grab the circle inside the color box, and moving it against or into one of the perimeters, the circle gets stuck. I have to release the mouse button and re-click somewhere else in the color box, to be able to drag the circle again. If I try to click a slight distance away, but still in the circle, the circle won't respond to the new mouse click. This can make precise movements to adjust colors when I want to drag against a line of equal red-hue (along the left or right box border, vertically), or equal full-saturation (along the top border, horizontally), a little more difficult.

While this is not the most important issue, I know; it's something I noticed. Certainly I can live with it in the meantime.
    colorpaletselectorBeam.png

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

The thing is that having straight numerical values is not much user-friendly, as not many would know what "0.10 .022 0.50 1.3" would mean.

If you need them, you can access them from the World Editor:

These corresponds to each color wheel. The first usually controls the body color, and the other additional parts / skins.
    Format is RGBA (0-1). The A is what makes cars more or less 'chromy', by making the paint layer more or less transparent.

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. B3_Burner

B3_Burner
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for the clarification. I was aware that these existed in the World Editor, under the "The Player" folder, but I thought they were only "output" displays to look at, after making the changes in the [Esc > Configuration > Color] section first. I didn't realize you could input numbers in the [World Editor > The Player > Color] section; and make the vehicle change colors on the spot. And if I press the swatch square to the right of the number list, it looks like a adjustable color box that's mouse-able / draggable, opens as well. So that's good to know.

However I still think having mouse-able color box & number adjustment capability-- all in the Esc > Config > Color menu, without having to toggle in and out of the World Editor-- would be nice. And the adjustments could be two-way-dynamic; so that when you input the color box and drag your mouse, the number outputs change in real time. And when you input the number fields, the color box "tick mark" jumps and the swatch changes colors in real time.

[I'm thinking like the color adjuster in Microsoft Office Word or Excel-- just as one very specific example]:
    We've all seen this image countless times (thumbnail image below), both the numbers and colors appear on the same page-- and both are equally adjustable as either inputs or outputs-- so it's much easier to associate one with the other, without a sense of disconnect between the two. And the "color model" menu is drop down, so if you don't like RGB, I think the 2nd choice is HSL, but I don't remember what the 3rd one is. (HSV?)
    MSWordColorChooserChart.png
    The only question then is, the MS Word/Excel model in color gradation 0-255. Can this model be made to work with decimal percentages? That I don't know.

So yes, I agree with you that the World Editor does do what I'm looking for, and I thank you for pointing that out. My only question is could that dual functionality be more efficient within the Vehicle Color Config of the Esc Menu itself?

Thank you for reading my post, and taking the time to reply.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice