WIP Beta released A new *CITY* map - LOS INJURUS 2023-12-20

Los Injurus 2023, now featuring 11-foot-8 bridge!

1. 95Crash

95Crash
    Expand Collapse

Well, thanks for answering me bob.blunderton.

2. 95Crash

95Crash
    Expand Collapse

By the way bob.blunderton. I'm curious as how to the progress of this map is coming along.

3. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

So nevertheless, got another something something just about done.
    A nice new business or *totally* different house?
    NOPE.
    "SAVE US, COPY-PASTE-A-MAN!"
    I'm taking Cookie-Cutter-McMansions to a whole new level. A second floor level. I'm going to make the most out of the style of house that took the greater part of HALF A WEEK TO A WEEK to make...
    So anyways, yes, Finally decided to put archways on the Spanish architecture homes. Of course they will come in a variety of Earth tones and pastel tones, including 'reverse print' options.
    For those who aren't in the building/construction trade, "Reverse Print" is commonly used when they want the developer wants the contractor to build a house identical to a print they've already used, but when looking from the road, you would reverse the left and right side of the home. Basically, it's like making a mirror image. This is very common for modern developments and has been used commonly for the greater part of the last 150+ years. It's only more noticeable now in the last 30~40 or so years.
    I should have this in-game within the next 24 hours.

Attached Files:

• concept_shot_2floor_spanish_architecture_dwelling.png
    • concept_shot_2floor_spanish_architecture_stats.png
    • concept_shot_2floor_spanish_architecture_profile.png
    • Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

These don't look too bad in the game actually. The little extra detailing came out nice.

I don't know why you'd want to fit a car in the porch, but otherwise, the view is nice in free-cam. Just in-case you do try to wedge a car in here, it will likely not get stuck on anything (hopefully not, let me know if it does though!). This map is made with the intention that one day, someone will port the walking mode into this game from RoR. I will put a bug in the ear of a few people I know about it.

Edit: Added a marbling layer to the stone cobbles to give them a nice variation and break up the repetition, and lastly/most importantly, some color! I re-used another terrain layer for the marbling, so not adding any hit to VRAM with that.

#1244 bob.blunderton, Mar 13, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
    • Like Like x 6
  5. 95Crash

95Crash
    Expand Collapse

Man, you're making good progress on this map =)

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

So more progress, filling the development in here.

While the tall grass is used for now - I will use more of the 'well kept' or 'manicured lawn' grass later, this will do just fine for now. I have to get the 'well manicured lawn' grass perfected over the coming week or two before I use more of it.
    That's all for right now.

• Like Like x 7
  7. 95Crash

95Crash
    Expand Collapse

bob.blunderton, I am really grateful for all the progress you made to this map.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. den_chik

den_chik
    Expand Collapse

Breath of life, fortunately. Thanks. Keep this way.

9. Leon_Rot

Leon_Rot
    Expand Collapse

This map looks so sick now :D

10. Captain. Adam

Captain. Adam
    Expand Collapse

Hey bob, I wonder if you have overviews / maps of your levels ? Something like this for example (WC overview):

• Like Like x 1
  11. Leon_Rot

Leon_Rot
    Expand Collapse

That would be awesome :D

12. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

That makes 2 of us!!!
    I can not tell you how nice it is to get back to mass-fill in developments. I sure like some new sights just as much as you guys do - when I'm not speeding through the VERY uneven intersections by the abandoned mall, that is. You know the ones I speak of if you've played any decent time in this map thus far.
    Don't worry, after a bit of time on my next task, there will be more of that. Lots more of that!
    I would have much much more, but I have a LOT of buildings I have to work on, LOTS of new textures to put in, and don't wish to import anything much less than perfect into the map that is both complete and FPS optimized. That last bit is super-important, as how I design the map is HEAVILY dependent on the current FPS budget, as that tells me what I can and can't afford to add in the scene.
    See in old games from 10~20 years ago you had things split up by mountain ranges of infinite height, and rows of infinitely tall buildings that served as visibility blockers logically and view-culling FPS improvement mechanisms. While I DO have some of that here, I don't have as much as I'd love (I will optimize it more yet this summer), and hence, I must be ever so careful and design intelligently so everyone with a half-decent store-bought laptop can run this along with everyone else who didn't just build a new machine for this purpose.
    So entirely, do know that: while it's been on the back burner for a while, there will be MUCH more of this filling-in stuff going on as I get a few more house models made.

Yeah I guess I can't avoid that for too much longer now, can I? *walks out from behind the heavily-repeating bushes he was hiding in* Figured I'd say it before anyone else does...
    I will try and make sure I get one of those in on the next public offering of Los Injurus (that's due whenever the game has a major version update, as I'll use that time to fix any bugs and keep people happy). Have to make the most of my limited bandwidth. I will likely use the asphalt layer touched up with some other layers to make something like that.

It's time for SIGNS!!! This is one of the last things I'm doing before the next supporter beta, which is only a few days (3~4 max) away. I have to fix the AI on the stack interchange too.
    I won't have ALL the signs in, but there will be a good step in the right direction. I have all the necessary sources for the truck signs, too, but those likely won't make the next beta.

Attached Files:

• dun_dun_dunnn.png
    • Like Like x 3
  13. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Starting to place signs today...

The sign post U-channel's bolt holes don't look right yet, but the posts ARE 3D. They're not flat, but they also DO NOT have collision as signs don't stop vehicles.
    The signs are also not flat, they are three dimensional. They do not have collision just as posts do not. The back is flat grey with a bit of a dirt mask on it (painted metal look / sheen).

• Like Like x 6
  14. 95Crash

95Crash
    Expand Collapse

That's really cool =)

Are you going to add signs by the hanger bases?

15. den_chik

den_chik
    Expand Collapse

Why so? It's so disappoint for me... gives up immersive feelings.

16. jerrie

jerrie
    Expand Collapse

So youd rather have a sign stop a car going 60 mph completely? Not tht that wouldnt be fun, but in terms of realism, i think that a car going through the sign makes more sense, as the sign cant bend

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. den_chik

den_chik
    Expand Collapse

I should prefer this behavior over ghost constructions.
    --- Post updated ---
    I think just after hitting the metal bar in real you'll be totally busted (unlike you feel in game). And anyway, you will not be capable to drive anymore. While we not have the bending poles in game, I think more realistic not hit in obstacles (because they are hard ;( )

18. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

The stack AI is REdone! WOOHOO! That was a SLOG and a half... I hope that's the last time I have to re-make it :)

Countless stupid little details that are far too hard to notice but over-all add some polish to the interchange (like lining up some of the lines, adding or switching to chevrons, blending textures a little better - still much more to do) and fixing a LOT of AI that was far less than perfect. It should be a little bit better this time around on some of the ramps that go 2-to-1 lanes especially...
    Added a bunch of yield signs and 'yield ahead' signs to the airport parking area, and a few stop signs, still needs a LOT more though, never-mind the whole entire economy lot (left of picture) is just 'missing' as it's been since the area was created. The pedestrian tunnel is missing, too. That goes in where there's some barricades (just out of the right side of the shot) under the highway.

TO-DO:
    Still must do a set of 3 bridges on-top of the mountain above the city - that'll take 10 minutes max...
    Still must do the entire double-decker section (way off in the distance if it drew in that far away, in the shot above), with it's AI so that you can drive on it with AI, and a little bridge next to the tunnel and a small bridge at this end of the descending lanes. That shouldn't take too terribly long... <1hr hopefully, unless I botch up the works.
    Must have an evening to test out the AI as moving the ENTIRE map up 800 meters REALLY messed with A LOT of things and there were A LOT of 'over objects' 3D decal routes for AI.
    Going to say... Wednesday morning USA time hopefully at the latest for the next supporter beta ... Should be + / - a day of that unless I have any serious issues.
    Will take extra time if it's available (without messing up release deadline) to mass-fill more of the development I was working on - IF there is extra time, but that comes after heavy testing and finishing the above.
    I would rather it not be completely broken when the beta goes up, after-all...
    --- Post updated ---
    There really isn't much in the way of SOFT collision. It either stops the car dead completely, getting it stuck in the sign entirely like it's made of concrete covered in fly paper, or you go through it.
    What I did not mention (and I should have) is there will be small collision helpers at the base, so that if you hit it, it might jostle the vehicle upwards a few CM, but that's it, it won't be like hitting something, more like driving over a rather fat dog, but without having to spend an hour or two scrubbing the doggie's "filling" off the road... heh.
    I did signs with collision in Roane County, so enjoy getting stuck in those for a while if you must have collision on them. We won't have collision on signs here, as it's preferred not to (unless it's huge sign masts the size of traffic light poles/masts). This will go along with the same methods the developers used.

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. den_chik

den_chik
    Expand Collapse

Let's look. How often you hit the road signs in your life? I guess - nether. So, why you ABSOLUTELY have to strike the road signs in game? Answer is: you drive through because of game rules. No more explains. Change the rules and driving habits will change too.

• Like Like x 3
  20. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

(finally) Finished off the airport parking lots that weren't done yet (didn't touch the economy lot yet).

Also added were some sidewalk/stairs/pedestrian safety corridor over the bridge which connects up to the terminal building sidewalks via a small crosswalk.
    Will add more greenery around the airport area at a later date when the industrial area is more built up and I have a better idea of the fps budget. Have to be careful with the proximity to the highway.
    Also, when this was last pictured in a screenshot (below) the chevrons were the wrong way, derp, that's fixed now... I do double-check these things!

Any other work I do tonight will appear in tomorrow's post.
    @den_chik Narrow surfaces smaller than curb faces (and even sometimes those, too) cause vehicles to go slightly through a collision surface. Then you have to press rewind (insert key) or use free cam and f7 to move the car. That's worse than going through the sign in 98% of folk's impressions. So unless it's a big sign pole like the kind a billboard is on, it shouldn't have collision, just like small bushes do not have collision, otherwise small things like signs make car get STUCK. STUCK = BAD. You never want that.

• Like Like x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice