WIP Beta released A new *CITY* map - LOS INJURUS 2023-12-20

Los Injurus 2023, now featuring 11-foot-8 bridge!

1. 95Crash

95Crash
    Expand Collapse

Cool, I do have a question for you. Are you going to add anymore towns to Los Injurus?

2. Leon_Rot

Leon_Rot
    Expand Collapse

Will u put some Parking Garage in the Downtown Area or maybe somewhere???

3. 95Crash

95Crash
    Expand Collapse

By the way @bob.blunderton. I have another question for you. Is the next repo update gonna come in April or no?

4. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

There's already a 10 floor parking deck. Police dept has underground parking garage too.
    Next public repo update comes whenever developers make a major version upgrade. When Beamng updates give me 3 days max and I will sync the supporter version with the one on the repo.
    There will be small rural towns in addition to Los Injurus city.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Fixed up the rest of the AI (will find any I missed when I test tomorrow and tonight) that needed to be positioned vertically (double decker section, 6 bridge spans), I think I got it all.
    Dressed up an interchange that was never finished, made it look a bit better.

I was able to add AI to this ramp as I optimized a few MILES of road nodes to use LESS of them, as this map is up against the 0.18.x AI node MAX LIMIT. The limit will be less encroaching on future versions, as it was only there due to an oversight (I reported it 2~3 months back, and it was indeed an oversight or bug).
    Implemented the AI in the left turn and left merge acceleration lanes in the center of the road pictured below, the AI uses it beautifully as demonstrated below

This last shot above is a lot of what the rural areas will look like in the map when I'm done with them...certainly has that GTA V flare to it a bit. I think that's a sign we're all heading in the right direction.
    Just need a heck of a lot more time than I've had thus far to finish the thing. Or at-least just as much / close to as much. It'll be worth it in the end though, and just about anyone can build a city from it.
    The AI works great where it's been re-worked, well, okay EXCEPT one spot ... here (below). A restart of the application seems to have cleared up any issues with the AI.

Yes I did take time to put wear on the center line of the above road, it helps the immersion a bit when driving down it. This is the first user-made map in the BeamNG arsenal that actually has 'faded' versions of yellow/white striping (lines), though new ECA I believe has some 'distressed' versions that are somewhat worn out looking. I added the shot below of the area I worked on over the last week or two to show the little details/difference such as worn road paint and other on-road details can make. I plan on doing a lot more detailing like this in the coming months.

It's been a long night, so far the AI tests are good! I will test more tomorrow, and fix up any little spots I've missed or messed up.

Bush in the road? Let me know so I can get rid of those before I upload this beta tomorrow evening.

• Like Like x 4
  6. 95Crash

95Crash
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for answering me.

7. chris nowak

chris nowak
    Expand Collapse

looks awesome

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

AI follows lane more diligently here and shouldn't end up with larger vehicles rubbing the outside edge barrier of the lanes (on the outside shoulder side). This is both ways through the raised expressway near the industrial/docks/airport here. Will adjust the excessive weaving AI exiting the airport area.

Working on fixing last minute bugs, will try and get some signs placed tonight before I upload the next supporter beta.

• Like Like x 3
  9. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Well, I didn't get most of my signs placed, and I didn't get any more of the development filled in after what I did a day or two ago...
    BUT, I am uploading the map for supporters to enjoy. I spent quite a bit of time fixing up the area of the industry down not too far from the big airport.
    I was working on getting the grass 'installed' in that area, and upgrading the look of the service / access roads to the highway, and getting it ready to stick more buildings down there and generally do more with it.
    Fixed a few misc bugs here and there with the AI around the 3Y interchange near the default spawn point. There were a few roads near there that shouldn't have even existed... oops. That caused a wreck of things surely. Lots and lots (hours) of stupid little fixes to generally make the AI more well behaved, follow lane better, not drive where there isn't lanes (especially by the airport!), and not weave back and forth excessively from lane to lane.
    'Ya know, because the AI isn't supposed to prop itself up on barriers by itself, without your help and all that. It's just tacky, if not a bit of comic relief.

So anyways, you shall see it soon if you're a supporter.

Many more roads (but not nearly all) have been plotted out in the industrial area, so I can more quickly get it built up when need be. You COULD cruise around the (flat) planned out roads if you REALLY wanted, but beware of sudden hidden bumps, etc.
    In the last shot, you can see just before the cliff there, the lake is a lot smaller, it's also a LOT less deep, and no longer has field grass growing in the bottom of it (oops), I spent an hour or two just improving that (which often people won't notice until they fall into it inadvertently from above).
    Too many last minute little things again to list. You'll notice them driving about in due time.
    The download is going to be 1.8X GB, hope you don't have a data cap like I do. Ouch. I haven't nearly even begun to add all the stuff in that I purchased for this map (well, some is in, some is bloat from new models, some are textures I made here etc).
    There could be some more optimizing later on, when the size bothers me enough. It's 4.5GB uncompressed (double ouch!), but it's going to be a whole city. I wouldn't be surprised if it's closer to 10gb when it's done... but where I started out aiming for a GTA San Andreas level of detail, I quickly realized how much more I enjoyed it when I kicked up the immersion a little more, closer to modern triple A games today. The game can handle it, provided you have half decent gaming-oriented systems to run it, no worries there unless you own a potato.
    I may consider shipping the map with compressed DAE's instead at a later date to save on space / load times.

That is all.
    Supporter message with the link for the update will go out either in an hour or so, or when I wake up in 8~10 hours from now if I can't stay up that long (I will try!).

• Like Like x 1
  10. Leon_Rot

Leon_Rot
    Expand Collapse

If this map is done, imma fck my laptop so hard

• Like Like x 1
  11. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Updated the main post pictures. Only out of date by about 18 months. Nothing major. Will likely condense the text tomorrow, too, as it's a book.

Almost have the grocery store done, just have to do the collision mesh yet.
    Expect to see it in-game in the next 48 hours or so (it's supposed to be over 70 degrees F tomorrow for the first time this season, so I don't think I'll spend a lot of time at the PC during the daytime unless it's down-pouring). During the winter I put on some weight, and am starting to look like a black woman from the back (yes and while I DO fancy me some Southern black women, I'd rather not look like one from the back, nor explode any more of my trousers), so I better get outside... if I can walk anyways!
    Attached is a picture of the grocery store I've been working on. Simple but nice enough to pass muster.

Attached Files:

• Line_City.png
    • Like Like x 2
  12. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

The store has finally made it into the map...and it only took three or four tries to get all the texture names right!

There will be a few different grocery stores (some larger) that share a similar layout to this one (some lot plans may call for the building plan to be flipped). Not sure if I like the scale of the overhang, so I might switch the model around a bit yet. The lot is sloped, but alas, I haven't put any parking stalls, speed bumps, or anything else like that in yet. I will do some of that tomorrow after the storms pass in the afternoon. This is only a medium sized grocery store, not a huge supermarket like exists in some towns.
    There will also be a 'Happy Sack Grocery', a knock off of Weis/Wise Kings, and possibly some other store parodies (some stuff from Roane County will also return, just with new models).
    So entirely, you will find a few food stores in the next update. I designed the building model in mind of being able to manipulate the layout easily if needed, so it shouldn't take too long when needed.
    Also, I noted a bug in the abandoned mall textures. The circular ramp (inside) and one of the anchor facades looks like stone. This is likely a duplicate texture reference, so I'll have that fixed for the next beta round.
    --That is all for now. No book today :)

• Like Like x 3
  13. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

The store model got another 2~4 hours of work (I wasn't really keeping track of it to be honest)...and the lot got finished, sans signs (business & stop signs) of course. I will put those in shortly.

I would hope that this is one of the more impressive large store lots that I've done, as I put one and a half to two whole days of work into the lot not including the model, which took an equal amount of time to build and perfect. There should be no collision issues on the poles that hold up the awning over the front sidewalks of the store, either.
    I fully intend to use variations of this store model in the future for other grocery stores in the area, so I made sure to put a lot of work into it as stated before.

Also, in the 2nd last shot, you'll see a new road in the distance... a 'teaser image' below, it's not nearly anything more than carved into the landscape right now, but it's next to be worked on.

This parkway will connect the store I just built and make easy access to the commercial strip from the fancy 'Beaverly Hills' development I was just working on, where all the nice flat-roofed homes are.
    The store I just built for reference is on the lower-right side of the shot above, and the Police department is just barely visible on the middle-left, with 'Worst Buy' just out of the very bottom-left and the new development on the top-left-to-middle of the shot. The 'Line City' grocery store might get it's own spawn point in due time, not sure.
    The unsigned fast food place will likely be a 'Weedy's' restaurant. The small out-cropping with retaining walls to the left of the store near the middle of the shot, will be an 'Olive Lair' middle class casual restaurant. I haven't modeled this yet, but it shouldn't take too incredibly long to do so (a day maybe?). The 'Weedy's' also needs an hour or two of work on the model yet as it's absolutely hideous.
    --That is all for today (and yesterday).
    P.S. Hey look, no BOOK, I'm getting better :)

• Like Like x 3
  14. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

I needed another grocery chain store name, and it's once-again raining outside. So I thought I'd give it an appropriate name...

That works.
    More later/tomorrow when the lot is completed.

• Like Like x 4
  15. 95Crash

95Crash
    Expand Collapse

lol, Moist Grocery.

Anyways, I have a question for you, Bob. Have you considering making Los Injurus cloudy or rainy or whatever?

• Like Like x 1
  16. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Only when the game engine / rendering engine is more full featured. Then it'll be worth it. Right now you can't dynamically change terrain etc, have random puddles, with the weather changes.
    I made it sunny because it looks better when it goes on Youtube (a few of the reviewers/car crash guys like it better), plus a few people here suggested it. It used to be a tad hazy and overcast, but since FOUR YEARS (almost!) have gone by since this map's terrain and atmosphere was 1st created, and then as of almost two years ago, I started re-working this into Los Injurus. I left the haze but eventually removed it due to people mentioning it should be sunny and also due to editing (need to see). I was doing performance tests, and on a modern decent gaming system (3700x, 16~32gb of RAM, RX 480 8gb at the time) it ran fairly well on high (you need 6~8 GB of VRAM for high), and even ran on a first-gen i7 OEM HP machine with a bare-bones 30$ used 6750 1gb video card... Low and lowest were playable.
    So long-drawn-out answer is that since people have often a 4ghz or better CPU in a gaming machine, and better video boards now than four years ago, I made it sunny and you can see further. It's a little slower for low-end laptop users (as there's much more to render for the video card, and more render calls for the processor to handle), but it'll still run fine.
    So, cloudy/rainy stuff will come at a later date if the engine supports it natively. No wacky hacky stuff that'll break on each update. Just regular stuff like what ships with the game.
    I will be importing a default sun/sky when the game has it's next major update, so that it can be set by the user without entering the editor, and so water isn't odd colored ... the water doesn't look Moist enough at night, let's just leave it at that.

• Like Like x 2
  17. 95Crash

95Crash
    Expand Collapse

Oh, okay then. Thanks again for answering my questions, Bob.

• Like Like x 1
  18. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

I'm almost embarrassed to say just how many hours I spent getting this stupid window texture right, but they're much better now!
    It's the window texture to the buildings along the highway across from the police department...they aren't the ones used on the rest of the city, though, just specifically here.

I need the new textures for some apartment complexes I'm going to be putting in. I will also try and iron out some of those helplessly repeating textures like the bricks here, ugh.
    Those repeating bricks really gotta go, even if it's just me slapping stucco over it (that looks much better anyway) and calling it a day... Anything is better than that brick repeating the way it does.
    --Some new pictures will be posted in the coming days, I have a lot of stuff I'm working on at the moment - not enough of which is 'done'.
    EDIT: The next version of the supporter beta (and whenever the public repo version is updated) will have two more docks for tractor trailers (loading bays at back of stores), so you'll have some more places to try backing into if you enjoy driving truck. I will try to make sure that it's the proper height before shipping the beta, but don't hate me if it's a few inches / cm off.
    I really have to make a piano manufacturer and store(s) as that's about all I haul - and yes - there WILL be piano hauling missions - when I get time :)

#1278 bob.blunderton, Mar 27, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  19. austen64

austen64
    Expand Collapse

Try using Hirochi, as the piano prop in-game is made by them.

20. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

MOIST grocery lot is pretty much done, for the most part. All the markings are down except on the sides/back but I want to get the main road done a little more before I do that.
    That subway station building (behind the store on the left) won't be there in the finished product. I have to make a surface street entrance for the subway to put there.

Kudos if you notice the flying car in the sky before reading this.
    Working heavily in the area below. Should be more feature-complete by the next supporter beta.

A few drainage easements were added around the area, too. Still so much more to do, but I am concentrating on filling in the areas near here to make the development cohesive so there's not blank/empty areas so much. There might be a few open lots until I get some more buildings modeled in, but there won't be nearly as many soon.

• Like Like x 7
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice