1. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.30 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

About Mods?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by FordMan95, Feb 10, 2013.

1. DanniBee

DanniBee
    Expand Collapse

I'm sure there will be some payed DLC. The devs have to get a constant income somehow and some small DLC would be fine. But what we're talking about is paying for 3rd party content in the form of mods with real money. This is where the issue lies because in other games like RoR mods have always been free..

2. Mythbuster

Mythbuster
    Expand Collapse

So if the whole world jumps into a river with aligators, you mean you and I should do it too? Cause that's what that argument says.

#42 Mythbuster, Feb 23, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  3. oophus

oophus
    Expand Collapse

Its only positive that the modders them selves also gets a few bucks for their effort. And to be honest, if the modders can make some money on modding the game, the mods them selves usually becomes better, so overall its best for the game it self if mods arent free. You will more certainly see more mods if the modders can make money on it. And the quality of some of the mods will be at par and even in some cases better than what the developers them selves makes.

4. Binkey

Binkey
    Expand Collapse

I wouldn't mind if I payed money for DLC's but aslong as their a 'reasonable' price.:)

5. DanniBee

DanniBee
    Expand Collapse

No, all I was saying is that the concept is foreign to most people. After thinking I do feel that quality content does deserve recognition and the amount of effort that goes into some mods is massive, therefore asking 50p for a car doesn't seem unreasonable to me. It's just the fact that people will distribute them and obtain it without paying, which will be a problem if people spend months working on a car to have it thrown around other forums and not receive a penny. I can just see it causing a lot of problems is all.

6. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

I say have an upload like the curse client where you get some money because the ads. You made a great seat ibza but I still wouldn't pay $10 for a pack of 10 cars you made. Sorry, but virtual property isn't worth that to me.

7. FordMan95

FordMan95
    Expand Collapse

I agree as well. paid DLC's are certainly a turn off for any game. I realize also how hard and time consuming making a mod for any game is and I respect those who contribute to the community of both RoR and BeamNG. I just don't think paid DLC's will be a good Idea because arguments are likely to start about prices and stuff. In my opinion all mods should be free once the game is purchased.

8. Mythbuster

Mythbuster
    Expand Collapse

Since I find this an interesting discussion... Let's say 10 modders arrive after this game comes out, they're all as good as Gabester come along and they want to make cars as good as his for BeamNG but they charge, say, 25 cents per car(I'd say that's a fair price compared to what some games charge for a hat or one and a half new (goldplated) weapons), and they would release a car every few months. Some of you would say "No I think it should be free". Okay. Fine.

But now let's turn it around. Let's just say hypothetically, Imagine RoR doesn't exist, what if this happens: What if all modders, litterally *all* of them, would say "Well if I don't get any reward for the mods I make, I won't make them anymore"... And let's also say Gabester will not make any cars if he can't get money from them.
    If that happens, noone will make cars for the game anymore, then what will the people do who say "I don't think I should pay money for this mod"? You would be pretty disappointed and probably complain how noone's making a car anymore right?

You see where I'm getting at? I think many many more mods would be released with very good quality if modders were supported with money. If you compare this to RoR, in the RoR forums, how many cars get released every month that are Gabester-quality? I've seen many months were just nothing of reasonable quality was released. Last month was probably a peak with the Futurliner and the Superbee and some other stuff. But that's still less than 5. If you offer modders a reward, they will be willing to learn more, and make more cars at a faster rate. And if BeamNG catches on, you might suddenly see 10 cars a month being released.

Or let me put it this way: If your dad says "hey wanna wash my car, you'll get nothing in return but I'd be very happy!", and you get to chose between doing it and not doing it.. Well, would you? Only a handful of you would, but most would say "Meh, I'd rather play games dad".
    Now what if dad says "hey, you can earn 50 bucks every time you wash my car, and you can do it as many times a way as you want, even if you do it every day, you'll still earn 50 bucks with it each time, as long as you make it clean enough"... That would suddenly be an easy way to make money right? And you wouldn't really mind doing it every week, if you had the time of course.

Same applies here. If modders know they can earn money with doing this, they will be willing to put more effort into it and do it more often, and faster. So in the end the quality of the content would improve massively. More cars, better quality. Seems like what everyone wants in the end.

Just want to see what people think of it, looking at it from that perspective.

@Bubble: I agree. Unless it was Gabester-quality, then I gladly would. Though I think 25-50 cents a car seems a bit fairer to both the player and the modder.

• Like Like x 1
  9. oophus

oophus
    Expand Collapse

Its pretty simple, and I've said it already.

Payd DLC = More mods, more quality mods.
    Free DLC = Less mods, and 1 out of 100 will be quality mods.

The guys asking for free content is asking people to use their free time to cater to you. How often do YOU actually do that to other random people?

If people in the gaming industry finds out that there is a buck to be made here, you will see extremely talentet people joining in and making content for this game. Do you guys not want that?

10. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

Not true, you will get more good and bad mods. Idiots hoping for money will make a car that looks good but deforms badly or might not even try.

11. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

And if it's crappy it won't be approved for sale.

12. Petrovsky

Petrovsky
    Expand Collapse
    duplicate account of banned user AwesomeSauce

And how will the dlc be? Will it be vehicle packs that cost like 5 dollars or individual vehicles that cost like 50 cents?

13. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

Why would I know that right now? We haven't published or released anything yet.

14. FordMan95

FordMan95
    Expand Collapse

Wait, so paid DLC's are confirmed?

15. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

I just said that nothing is confirmed.

16. oophus

oophus
    Expand Collapse

Please explain me that logic of yours because it dont quite land here with me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice