Accumulative Dirt?

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Untouchable7809, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Untouchable7809

Untouchable7809
    Expand Collapse

So I think it would be really cool to see accumulative dirt, meaning after driving on dirt, sand for a while then the tires would get dirty, then a little bit more driving the vehicle its self would get dirt and sandy.. I don't know how possible this is but it would be a really cool feature.

2. Harkin Gaming

Harkin Gaming
    Expand Collapse

Please use the search bar, this has already been suggested multiple times and I believe the devs are/were working on it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. SandwichesANDmilk

SandwichesANDmilk
    Expand Collapse

i have an idea of how this could work
    just have a dirty texture that its opacity lowers as you drive on dirt (basically gets less transparent)

4. Harkin Gaming

Harkin Gaming
    Expand Collapse

I believe that is how they were trying to make that work when they were experimenting with dirt and scratches. I'm not sure if it ever got past the testing phase because they could have caused game breaking bugs, severe lag, or other problems.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. workclock1©

workclock1©
    Expand Collapse

It's called the "Dirt Livery"

But i do see this idea cool

6. Instant Winrar

Instant Winrar
    Expand Collapse

IIRC the game does not allow live updates of vehicle's colour/skin without reloading it, or at least that was the case when I last looked it up. So that rules out many things like dirt, scratches, water, etc. Until that's figured out (assuming it hasn't yet), I don't see it being possible, sadly.

And it's finally nice to know I'm not the only one thinking of a vehicle skin layer dedicated to scratches/dirt/whatever. However I know the devs are against pre-determined results, especially those that are visual. So scratches would have to depend on the object hit rather than the car's exterior. Since hitting a surface the exact same way repeatedly is very difficult, unlike hitting the same part of a car... I feel they could get away with predetermined results coming off of objects, but the marks they put on the car would depends on speed, angle, and so on. Imagine a bunch of invisible dots on a concrete wall, when a vehicle rides against it, it will cast lines down the side of the vehicle kind of like a marker. Thickness of the line will depend on impact force, cleanness of the line edges will depends on speed, and so on. I don't know if such a system is possible with the game engine, or if there are better ways to do it, but that's one way I can imagine it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Littleturdlet

Littleturdlet
    Expand Collapse

One of the devs, I think it was gabester said they needed per-vertex textures before they could do anything like this.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Untouchable7809

Untouchable7809
    Expand Collapse

Figured I would just throw it out there, Didn't know if it was attempted or recommended.

9. YellowRusty

YellowRusty
    Expand Collapse

It was attempted very early in the game's development. Progress stalled, for reasons I haven't quite been able to figure out yet.

If this was the cause, then there might be hope yet if hot-loading for textures gets fixed. I seem to remember a dev posting a video of a covet having its skin updated without the game even being paused... but I can't find it at the moment!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. just a gamer

just a gamer
    Expand Collapse

not to bad but you could test it by trying to make it
    mods aren't that hard to make if they're small

11. Car8john

Car8john
    Expand Collapse

1. Not the first time I've seen this thread, not the last either
    2. Could happen, but not anytime soon
    4. You didn't noticed I missed 3
    5. You had to check
    7. Your smiling
    8. I skipped 6 and you don't care
    9. You must care since you just checked
    10. This is spam

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Instant Winrar

Instant Winrar
    Expand Collapse

I've seen that video of a real time update to a Covet's skin. It's great for editing a UV map and checking your edits real time after updating the file.
    There is hope for this being used in such ways, but they'll likely be predetermined using only the skin system, and will be until we get a dedicated system for scratches (such as different rocks/objects giving different scrapes in a way I described in my earlier post).
    I'm still excited for the hotloading features if they get in next update.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Flippi 284

Flippi 284
    Expand Collapse

They used to have dirt preplaced on certain cars (as a skin) in the early 0.3 days but they removed it. The dirt files for some cars are still in the car’s zip file but are unused. The only car now that has a dirt skin is the Covet.
    Actually you can change vehicle color without reloading it.
    That’s pretty interesting.

14. Instant Winrar

Instant Winrar
    Expand Collapse

Mind providing steps on how to do so?

15. Danny Werewolf

Danny Werewolf
    Expand Collapse

Uhh...not every small-ish mod is easy to make...I can't recall any, but just keep that in mind.

I am no computer person, and correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't @EcoNadder77 I believe working, sometime, on a UV Skin that acts somewhat like a gif of sorts for the H-Series Camper? I remember seeing a thread about that before, but I don't exactly know where that went.

Basically if it uses the same format as that mod, maybe the game could rewind and forward through a slow accumulation of dirt (I'm focusing on dirt, not anything else) depending on the time the vehicle has in the specific material used on the map.

Sorry if I turn out confusing and this sounds a little impossible, but just an idea of mine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Flippi 284

Flippi 284
    Expand Collapse

17. YellowRusty

YellowRusty
    Expand Collapse

The Covet has a "Old and Weathered skin", but I think the D-series is the only vehicle that maintains its dirt skin in the parts selector.

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice