Aided Keyboard Steering

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by AX53, Nov 9, 2013.

1. AX53

AX53
    Expand Collapse

Since force feedback is yet to be added, and since it might be a while before it gets implemented. What I would like for BeamNG would be a sort of optional aided steering for keyboard users.
    It would basically combine the current keyboard steering system with the forces from the steering rack in the following way:

You steer with your left and right key just like before, all though, the steering is less sensitive and the steering doesn't auto center.
    The centering is then based of the forces on the steering rack which will help with counter steering, and also with precision steering in higher speeds (because the centering will become stronger in higher speeds so basically it will steer less the faster you go)
    This will also stop your steering from centering on it's own when you're standing still which to me also is more realistic.

This would make the steering always targeting the "balanced" steering angle just like a real steering wheel would if you let go of it in a real car. And it would make for a smoother driving experience for keyboard users. Of course, like I said, it should be optional. As well as maybe adjustable?

#1 AX53, Nov 9, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  2. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

This is exactly what we plan to do :) We are going to make an optional steering assist using forces from the tie rods to make the driving easier and more natural. You can see in GTA 4 and 5 that they have a very similar assist. The same forces will also drive force feedback when we add it.

3. AX53

AX53
    Expand Collapse

Sounds excelent! Looking forward to when it gets added. I haven't noticed anything like this in GTA4 though.

4. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

Watch the front wheels in GTA 4/5. Swerve back and forth and you'll see the wheels are doing their own little minor counter steering correction, even though you're not touching the controls. It also limits how much you can turn based on speed/available grip.

5. Zappymouse

Zappymouse
    Expand Collapse

You'll have a really hard time trying to get any car to go straight on keyboard if the steering doesn't centre itself.

Triple A driving games such as Forza and Need for Speed employ dynamic handling at different speeds, as you described, so it would make sense if it were an option in BeamNG as well. +1 to that.

6. AX53

AX53
    Expand Collapse

The steering will center itself, but using the steering rack force. Basically, the wheels will center themselfes towards the travelling direction of the vehicle, with a strength dependant on the speed. So not only will it center the steering out, it will center the whole vehicle out better. And if you get into a slide, the car will auto correct it, as well as keeping the car more stable during cornering and acceleration. (And in cockpit view you won't get the steering wheel spinning back and forth all over the place)

7. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

Yup, all these behaviors will arise naturally from the aligning torque forces because we've built the suspension and steering correctly :)

8. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Try driving a real car, floor it and the steering tends to self centre.

9. Zappymouse

Zappymouse
    Expand Collapse

Ah. Missed that in the OP. My bad.

10. AX53

AX53
    Expand Collapse

Indeed. And if you drive a real car while it's not moving. The steering tends to not self center.

11. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

If you have a force feedback wheel and you play Live for Speed (which uses the same force feedback concept as what we're going to implement) you'll also notice the same behavior :D The steering wheel won't try to re-center if the car is stationary, since the aligning torque only happens if the car is moving.

12. TheAdmiester

TheAdmiester
    Expand Collapse

I always imagine that games with assisted steering have you controling the driver of the car, and not steering = the driver is handling the wheel so it stay straight, whereas games like BeamNG have you in direct control of the car, so corrections have to be manually done.

13. AX53

AX53
    Expand Collapse

These assists are there in real life too though. This isn't about simulating a driver to do anything for you. It's basically a matter of getting the physical feedback (which is present in real life) trough the steering wheel. Although if you use keyboard you must simulate a driver. It's the only way to do it. The only way you can completely shut out the simulation of a driver from a car game is to use a steering wheel. Otherwise your key strokes needs to somehow be emulated into driving a car.

Yea, I play a fair bit of LFS with my G25 :)

14. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Or let go of the wheel while steering left a bit in reverse and you will find the wheel turning itself even further left than it was before.

15. AX53

AX53
    Expand Collapse

Yes, in reverse the cars get negative caster so the effect is reversed.

16. jordanpuma

jordanpuma
    Expand Collapse

v
    physics, I love them, but I'll never understand.

what about simulated torque?, if you don't mind the slight off-topic ness;
    i was trying to reverse the family van this morning, and i had forgotten to take the parking brake off(I'm a pro)
    so my sister is out behind the car telling me how close I am to the curb, when I start accelerating(in reverse) i noticed the car move a little, then the back would start going up, so I asked her if I was going over something, and she said that I was clear,

long story short, it took a few good revs for me to realise the parking brake was still engaged.

(2013 sienna, with an unexplicably powerful v6 motor, much jumpier than out previous 2004 model, I'm living with a bunch of toyo-freaks)

I would love this type of realism,

#16 jordanpuma, Nov 10, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  17. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

If its the front drive model instead of AWD model, the front wheels are trying to go backwards yet the back wheels are stationary. The wheelbase is kinda attempting to shrink in on itself, suspension lifts a bit instead.

18. jordanpuma

jordanpuma
    Expand Collapse

I had a feeling that's what it was,
    except it wasn't lifting "a bit"

I'd say about half a foot, which was why i thought i was going over something.
    (i hate that van, and it hates me)

19. AX53

AX53
    Expand Collapse

I think torque is already properly simulated in BeamNG. Anyways, when the engine tries to spin the wheels forward, it also twists the whole chassis in the opposite direction. It's the reaction to the torque on the wheels. This is why cars likes to sit on their butt when you do a launch :)

20. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

Yes, we have reaction torque from acceleration and braking. We haven't yet implemented the engine's reaction torque, but it is fairly straightforward and on the to-do list. You'll notice that real drag racers with longitudinal engines twist to one side because of all the torque - that's what we're going to add.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice