Airbag Simulation

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Land Cruiser, Dec 24, 2016.

1. Land Cruiser

Land Cruiser
    Expand Collapse

An option should be selectable allowing airbags to deploy if the car is equipped and if the player wants them to. There's even an engraving on some steering wheels.
    screenshot_00017.png screenshot_00018.png

2. Modem

Modem
    Expand Collapse

this has been requested many many many times. its not going to happen for many many many reasons. please, use the search bar before you create a thread.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Dr. Death

Dr. Death
    Expand Collapse

TL;DR:

Devs said that having an airbag inflate and deflate inside the car would be too hard to simulate. The already existing prop as a mat looks kinda ok for what it is. Now imagine taking the Jbeams and polygons, making it fit inside a car, make it able to inflate and deflate and while not technically impossible since nothing is truly impossible in the world of coding, its probably gonna take so long that its not going to ever be a feature.

4. ThreeDTech21

ThreeDTech21
    Expand Collapse

It can be done kinda cheaply via the deformgroup materials, i wont go into how but trust me its doable. When the car crashes I can make an airbag apear on the steering wheel, it wont inflate it will just pop there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. JayPlaysBeamNG

JayPlaysBeamNG
    Expand Collapse

Having an airbag is kinda pointless without people.
    People would be pointless without blood/gore,
    Blood/gore would make BeamNG rated "M" or at the least "T" due to violence.
    Oh, there goes a few thousand dollars from potential non-mature/non-teen buyers...
    Oh, and airbags would make the game lag like heck.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. NistingurA

NistingurA
    Expand Collapse

It's difficult to simulate a piece of cloth inflating so fast.. The game wouldn't be able to handle it well

7. Dr. Death

Dr. Death
    Expand Collapse

Disagree. It would be nice at least for the sake of realism. Driving a car and seeing no one in the driver seat kinda ruins the immersion.

8. NoShotz

NoShotz
    Expand Collapse

The devs have stated many times that they will not add people so the ratings don't get raised to T, instead of what they are currently.

9. Günther

Günther
    Expand Collapse

Not people, but at least official crash test dummies would do it for me, simulating the weight of the driver if we are talking about realism.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Dr. Death

Dr. Death
    Expand Collapse

That's bull. They said that they dont want to add GORE.

Unless you can make some sense on how adding a humanoid character that stays static to crashes will somehow raise the rating to T.

11. lukerules117

lukerules117
    Expand Collapse

Well I guess because of the way the crashes work it could easily appear as though the character has been impaled on the steering column or has been caught on fire. and a static character just wouldn't work right I think due to the way the physics engine works, RoR did it and it looked weird back then as well.

12. BowlerHatJack

BowlerHatJack
    Expand Collapse

In the props section there was/is an wip dummy mod that had the model of an real person. Tdev asked for it to be changed to something less human.

13. Dr. Death

Dr. Death
    Expand Collapse

How do you make a dummy any less human....

In my end i think that with a story mod and all that not having a driver inside the vehicle just RUINS the simulation to me. Even SLRR ends up looking more realistic to me than that.

14. BowlerHatJack

BowlerHatJack
    Expand Collapse

I meant in changing the skin and model from an human person to an robot or an crash test dummy.
    EDIT: Found the post: http://www.beamng.com/threads/girl-props.15105/page-2#post-391807
    Good point. It's kinda silly when i flipped the truck in the campaign and crushed the whole cabin without the game having any issue with that.
    But they are an small dev team so they can't taking the risk of getting an age restriction.

15. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

I am just gonna step in here and mention that Burnout Paradise... while arcady... is arguably one of the best racing games to come out in the last decade... and they had no drivers in the cars either. Granted, while there really was no plot or storyline to Burnout Paradise to really create the need for a driver... It does prove that it is not necessary to have a fantastic game.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Dr. Death

Dr. Death
    Expand Collapse

But i dont want gore. I dont want deformated humans. Look at SLRR. The chassis is almost impossible to bend and the character model is a static humanoid. I dont think that the rating will go up if they just add a human character in the driving seat that, say, gets thrown off the car when it crashes or the such.

And even on top of that, what's so bad about a T rating anyways. I doubt that toddlers will be playing BeamNG. They would be happier playing COD or BF or KSP or something alike.

17. 14ramosr

14ramosr
    Expand Collapse

18. Ulrich

Ulrich
    Expand Collapse

Leave the meme do the work

#18 Ulrich, Dec 29, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  19. vmlinuz

vmlinuz
    Expand Collapse

Airbags are already simulated, but so are ignition switches, and the ignition switch simulation is incredibly detailed -- and also rather buggy. Under the stress of a crash, the ignition switch pin glitches and turns off just long enough to disable the airbag, then turns back on again. Airbags will actually deploy once this bug is fixed.

20. DuneWulff

DuneWulff
    Expand Collapse

Of course, it is worth noting that Paradise did have human riders for the motorcycles. The riders just disappeared when you crashed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice