Airbag Simulation

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Land Cruiser, Dec 24, 2016.

1. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

Yes, that is true as well. They just kinda vanished into thin air.

2. Dr. Death

Dr. Death
    Expand Collapse

Burnout paradise was a good game but the point about that game was not simulation nor immersion or did it tried to make it look like you were someone behind the wheel (unless it was a bike). However BeamNG is not the same.

3. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

This is true, but I was just trying to make the point that even if BeamNG was lacking a driver, it can still make for a great game.

4. Dr. Death

Dr. Death
    Expand Collapse

No doubt about that. Its just that in my mind the lack of driver will make a big problem in my end.

And i still dont get it. Will BeamNG still get T rated if they add a driver but no gore nor a driver getting thrown off the car (Flatout style)? And if they do, what's so bad about a T rating?

5. NotoriusGwB

NotoriusGwB
    Expand Collapse

I would rather not have airbag deployment because, what if we get startled easily, or have seizures from white flashing lights, etc

6. Dr. Death

Dr. Death
    Expand Collapse

There's being a coward and then there's being THE coward....

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

Well... the getting startled easily should not really matter much, but the going into a seizure part... that could be a problem I never considered.

8. Land Cruiser

Land Cruiser
    Expand Collapse

Well then there could be an option to deactivate all airbags in the settings.. maybe?

9. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

Simulated airbags are nearly impossible to implement, but what about animated airbags?

10. Octothorp Obelus

Octothorp Obelus
    Expand Collapse

That's actually not a bad idea, but what if the cabin is crushed? The airbag would animate itself through the windshield, which is now flat. Might not worked out as planned. Plus it could falsely be triggered by a hard bump since most modern cars deploy airbags if the impact was greater than 9 MPH, or 3 Geforces.

11. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

Well, if someone is going to have a crash with the whole cabin getting crushed, he/she will be able to turn the airbags off in the settings menu. This means that the turning off option is a must-have.
    By the way, are you sure that airbags need an impact that weak to deploy? Speaking from my personal experience, when a Toyota Corolla hit a BMW 1st series' left fender from the side at 75 kmh (circa 45 mph), none of BMW's 8 airbags deployed. Though I suspect that they didn't deploy because of the BMW being a piece of "fine German engineering and superior German quality".

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

He is talking about a frontal crash... I can't speak from experience on this at all as I have never seen airbags go off under normal circumstances (accidently set some off while attempting to take off the front bumper of a derby car we were building with a hammer), but the sensors for frontal impacts are usually set pretty low... Just putting your car in the wrong gear and accelerating a little vigorously into the flagpole in front of you is really all you need to set them off. Now I thought it was at least as high as 13 mph, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was lower.

13. NotoriusGwB

NotoriusGwB
    Expand Collapse

my mom was recently hit in her smart car head on and the airbags did not go off the collision was greater than 9mph

14. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

"According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (US Department of Transportation, 2003, p.5), “Air bags are typically designed to deploy in frontal and near-frontal collisions, which are comparable to hitting a solid barrier at approximately 8 to 14 mph.

I got this from here... http://www.theforensicexaminer.com/2014/pdf/Air Bag Deployment.pdf

So if the air bags on her car didn't deploy and it was higher then those speeds, either a lot of energy was dissipated in the crash by pushing the other car, her air bag sensors malfunctioned, or, for some reason, Smart Car air bags are designed to only go off at much higher speeds.

15. NotoriusGwB

NotoriusGwB
    Expand Collapse

she was fine it was centered in the middle of the car and the censers are on the sides, so that was most likely the problem...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice