WIP Aleutian Island - my first map

Discussion in 'Terrains, Levels, Maps' started by geobeck, Jan 17, 2021.

1. geobeck

geobeck
    Expand Collapse

This project is in the earliest stages, but I figured I'd share my progress as I transform it from barren wilderness to a complete map. Right now, it's just a mountainous, grassy island suitable for zooming around in your favorite 4x4.

Video preview:

Done:
    • Imported heightmap from terrain.party (51.96°N, 179.64°E)
    • Used GIMP to create masks for sand and grass... which are the only terrains I can figure out how to use for that purpose.
    • Used the smooth tool (low pressure, moderate softness) to iron out the "wrinkles" from the original terrain file, which covered the map in small, sharp ridges.
    To do:
    • Use the average height tool to smooth out the beaches (like the beach in the video).
    • Play around with raise/lower tools to create cliffs.
    • Import some other materials to paint rocks, gravel fields, mud bogs, and other natural features.
    • Figure out where I'm going to put a port, villages, and other infrastructure.
    • Connect infrastructure with practical roads.
    • Carve some fun roads into the terrain.
    • Add... stuff. Lots of stuff. Suggestions welcome.
    Some basic info:
    • Terrain size: 4096 x 4096 m
    • Sea level: z = 100 m
    • Max elevation: 128 m above sea level
    • Created using @HighDef's loaded template map.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. SuperShep1

SuperShep1
    Expand Collapse

Cliff 2

3. corneliu

corneliu
    Expand Collapse

Please make a small town and a beach. And a forest covering about 40% of the map would be a nice addition. These are just some things the map would benefit from. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. geobeck

geobeck
    Expand Collapse

I haven't done anything with this map in a while because it has been partially broken due to interactions with other mods. I'm in the process of stocking a new template with a ton of resources that don't refer to separate folders, plus learning Blender from scratch instead of just stumbling in the dark.

I will finish this map, but it's going to take some time. If anyone else has suggestions, I'll read them all and figure out what to incorporate. I'm trying to decide whether to make this a 4096^2 or 8192^2 map, although I'll probably go with the smaller size.

@corneliu, I'm planning to have a number of beaches around the island, basically wherever there's an implied river mouth that creates a flat plain. The rest of the shoreline will be low cliffs or rocky slopes. I'm thinking of maybe three villages: one in the middle and two on opposite coasts, connected by the island's main road. Other roads will climb the hills with some combination of asphalt, gravel, and crawler tracks. And I'll probably put a mud bog somewhere.

By the way, if anyone likes the island itself, and wants to grab it to make their own map, go ahead and build on it. I'd appreciate credit, but it wasn't a lot of work to get this far.

5. corneliu

corneliu
    Expand Collapse

As you describe it. It sounds like it'll be a mix between the Italy map and East coast USA. But smaller. :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice