AMD HSA support for Kaveri APU.

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by The_Soldiet, Jan 20, 2014.

1. The_Soldiet

The_Soldiet
    Expand Collapse

I have been reading allot lately about Kaveri and how HSA will work. I think it is a really awesome concept and something I hope will do well in the PC market. I hope BEAMNG will sometime get HSA support, maybe after 1-2 years. I do believe it will boost the performance using APU's significally and that the HSA compatible APU's might even compete with the high end i7's. I know you have allot on your list and i'm pretty sure you have been thinking about HSA, especially estama.

Thx for reading :)

2. Davidbc

Davidbc
    Expand Collapse

I think physics calculations on the GPU is the way to go. I don't know much about HSA, but it works on an APU. No matter how much you optimize an APU, its performance will be far far away from a dedicated GPU.

3. metalmuncher

metalmuncher
    Expand Collapse

The thing is about APUs is that they don't have a PCIe bus between the CPU and GPU. This can enable some pretty cool stuff. HSA is all about getting the CPU and GPU to work together nicely, accessing the same memory (all of it), having the same flexibility to dispatch work and so on. Some of this stuff you can't do effectively with a dedicated GPU.

4. estama

estama
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

Yes Kaveri's architecture is very interesting, and i look forward into exploring it.

Nevertheless, right now, AMD has a big problem with how underpowered their CPU cores are. I hope that AMD will start increasing the IPC of the CPU side, otherwise the GPU side will be starved because the CPU won't be able to keep it well fed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice