AMD OR INTEL?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by chazthedog, Feb 22, 2016.

?

What do you think?

Poll closed Feb 29, 2016.
  1. AMD

10.3%
  2. INTEL

89.7%
  1. Nissan Skyline

Nissan Skyline
    Expand Collapse

This is not to start a war, but AMD APUs are really good for Home theater PCs when you want a decent graphics card to play games, but without the space for a full sized graphics card. They are obviously not good for performance computers, but if you want mediocre graphics and a mediocre CPU, the APUs are good for that.

2. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

They still kinda suck at games. Home Theatre PC != gaming PC, that's what Steam LAN streaming is for.

• Like Like x 1
  3. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

Never had a CPU problem in applications or games outside of BeamNG, it was at the time of purchase the best value for money there was for me. If it was any other way I would have bought an Intel CPU.

4. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

• Like Like x 1
  5. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

I'm sure you had your reasons, but that's not the point. It's an outdated product no longer worth buying, whether it was at some point or not is irrelevant.

6. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

It is out of date sure but its still quite good price to performance for what you get. No one in their right mind is going to run a dual core Pentium just because it has better over all performance because in any modern game core count is much much more important. Something like a Pentium would also be much worse in BeamNG due to its car per thread nature.

7. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Who said anything about a Pentium? You can get an i5 for $20 more than an 8350, and the motherboard is cheaper.

This is simply not true. Only recently have games started using more than 4 threads, and even in the latest games an Intel quad core will outperform an 8-core AMD.

8. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

You mentioned both an i3-6100 and a Pentium earlier in this thread, both of which are dual core parts. To get something that has BOTH the single and multi threaded speeds of an 8350 you would need to get at least an i5 2500k which simply costs more. Not to mention the motherboard as well as used chips are considerably cheaper

9. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

I'd go with the much faster I5 setup for a extra £15

10. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

A i5-6400 will match the MT performance of an 8350 with nearly twice the ST performance. As for price...
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3Hf6GX
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WnbMgs

The i5 is $10 more. Barely makes a difference.
    --- Post updated ---
    You don't even need the Z170 board, the i5-6400 can't be overclocked.

11. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

I know, I just grabbed it for the sake of this argument.

12. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

I never realised how cheap the 6400 was :eek:

Its still about £15 more in the UK but that is to be expected really.

In which case its pretty much a straight win for it, there is the exception of some rendering and encoding specifics were the 8350 is still a bit faster but cant argue that the 6400 is much better overall and in games.

13. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

Alrigt, a few kilometers up was an arguement about APUs. If you know JayzTwoCents, you migh remember him screaming like a lile fangirl about the top-of-the-line A10 coupled with an R7 240/250/350. I believe him.
    Although that should only work out well if you want to go on a tight budget and don't need no more than Athlon performance. Which should be good for (almost) anything besides BeamNG.

I vote for BeamNG being an official Game for testing hardware.

14. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

I agree. BananaBench would be a very good benchmark for single/multithreaded performance. Somehow, we must get Linus to see the power of BananaBench.

15. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

Simple task: We have to be the first ones to comment on a video or write something in his channel discussion. I think I should just do the latter.
    After watching some more videos. About cars and racetrucks. Don't question me.

16. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

Open a thread on the LTT forums and have like everyone here post on it.
    Too many questions to ask.

17. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

I'm not a member, you need to go do that.
    Did you notice how this thread went away from a comparison of CPU brands to two jerks debating on who tells Linus to test with BeamNG?
    I know.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice