Released American 80's Fullsize Series 2.1

disguised pre-release test car of a famous car brand.

1. SergentFido

SergentFido
    Expand Collapse

He he it's fun to see that when doing what is written in first post's description things are working better :p

By the way it's a black Delta 88 but nevermind.

#441 SergentFido, Oct 23, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  2. Ai'Torror

Ai'Torror
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

@SergentFido Are you planning on revisiting the interiors?
    They are the only thing that I don't like about this mod. They look like you've taken a picture of a dashboard and put it on a dashboard model. It looks cool, but good like reading what does any of the gauges say...
    Since everything except the interior is pretty much dev quality, I would really like to see a fully modeled interior with textures made from scratch, not from pictures.

3. SergentFido

SergentFido
    Expand Collapse

hey man, it's a mod, i am not paid for making that.
    So if you don't like it, that's one thing, but asking if i'm planning on remaking all the interiors just to fit your liking is a bit demanding and rude, don't you think ? Considering i like the result anyway. I made some textures using small bits of photos, but then i composed them, made a lot of manipulations in photoshop, and made all the normal map hand painted myself.
    I never do just what you think i do, just slap textures and let it go.Just look at the cars in "normals" mode ingame and you'll see the work done on them. I spent days only on the interior textures.
    If you want to see something made differently, just make it yourself. For me it's just pretty okay for a free mod.

Anyway i've done this mod for learning purpose so no, i'm not planning on making any textures upgrades on it.

#443 SergentFido, Oct 24, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 5
  4. Ai'Torror

Ai'Torror
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

That's fine, I don't require you or say that you have to do it, but I've wanted to ask if you could do that.
    If I'd be in a better finantial situation I could even pay you for this mod as it would be a DLC.
    You did a great job woth it.

5. SergentFido

SergentFido
    Expand Collapse

I'm happy with the result and i can't make everybody to love it. I did my best on those interiors, but not everybody must like it, this is freedom of tastes.

Here are some educational images with details on the big work that was involved in every details of this interior, so i'm pretty upset by the way you're asking things and the way you reduct this all to the cluster instrument that is indeed a photo, a lot reworked may you disagree :

- I spent hours and hours on how i wanted the normals and speculars map to react, with average bright plastic and very soft velours fabric :

screenshot_02162.jpg screenshot_02163.jpg screenshot_02164.jpg screenshot_02165.jpg
    Even the head rests have very tiny bumps to simulate velours texture :

screenshot_02166.jpg
    Hand made heightmap dashboard area before converting into normal maps :

capture_002_25102017_105128.jpg

Normal maps result overview :

capture_001_25102017_104800.jpg

dashboard textures overview, the cluster isn't the one used in the car, it has it's own gauge map :

capture_003_25102017_105221.jpg

So you may think all of this is just photo slapped into 3D model. But you know what ? i wanted to do an oldsmobile as close and realistic as i own one, so i used photos of my car and on the internet to have the more closer aspect as possible. Please tell me the interest of painting it all ? How do you do fake wood that looks accurate without using a photo ? i'm interested ... I mean, without spending three hours on just making fake wood painting for a similar result.

Also i don't care about the way things are done for a free mod, all that i care about is the result. I wanted it to look like an Oldsmobile interior.

So let's see how all of this is made: I used small bits of photos, that i've duplicated, merged, arranged to get this properly adjusted and fit the normal map work.
    Colors were reworked all to get the result that i expected. Then i extracted from that work all the chrome area, and made the specular map react as it shoud, bright or matte, for every tiny areas.

capture_004_25102017_105404.jpg capture_005_25102017_105439.jpg

Now let's see how the seats fabric are made on their diffuse part. You may think this is just photo and boom, but no, i spent maybe 8 hours to set it up and looks good ingame :

capture_006_25102017_105514.jpg

So let's see some steps involved in the achievment :

composting of the different squares parts, based on several photos, assembled together :

capture_007_25102017_110017.jpg

Then adding buttons with a dark smooth outline to make them pop and cast shadows :

capture_009_25102017_110047.jpg

adding tiny grain to add more details :

capture_010_25102017_110051.jpg

Then detailled dark dots pattern extracted by hand from a photo and adjusted :

capture_011_25102017_110106.jpg

Scratch made parts of the dashboard :

capture_012_25102017_110159.jpg capture_013_25102017_110227.jpg capture_014_25102017_110240.jpg

Sorry for the long explanation, it's not only to you that i'm answering, but i feel upset and i can't just let you say i just used photos and so that it has to be redone.

Asking if i could consider remaking the interiors is as nice as asking somebody that did an oil painting with all his heart "could you repaint it all 'cause i don't like it that much" .

Don't get me wrong, I like crits, i like improving, and i'm constantly putting myself into questions, and i'm never self satisfied. But there is a way of telling things, and if you had thought about it a bit more you could have avoid yourself for asking things the way you did.

My purpose wasn't to make something "dev quality", it was to do something that i have pleasure to do, and learn.

#445 SergentFido, Oct 25, 2017
    • Like Like x 5
  6. Ai'Torror

Ai'Torror
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

Okay, sorry for wrong choosing of words, to be honest I feel kind of bad now. What I ment to say, after looking at the textures, was that In my opinion getting rid of the shine on the guage cluster and making it more clear would be more readable. Since you like the way it is, its fine, I'll try to do it myself.

I want to appologize for my words.

• Like Like x 2
  7. SergentFido

SergentFido
    Expand Collapse

That's okay, but there is a huge gap between telling the cluster only is too much "photo-ish" and asking for reconsidering all the interiors.

I've made many changes in the Caprice Classic textures following what the Beta test group reported me as constructive crits.

8. Ai'Torror

Ai'Torror
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

I've tried to mace a constructive comment but me being me, It didn't quite work as I'm basically writing what I'm thinking.

The thing that made me think that you didn't put as much efford into the interior as you did was the photoish textures. I'm just not a fan of using textures that already have a lot of reflections and signs of the part on the photo being quite used.
    The point of what I'm saing is that IN MY OPINION the interrior looks like it was made just from some altared photos.
    That's your mod so do what you want with it. I just wanted to make a suggestion about it. If I finally find enough will to start learning how to model and texture, I will try to play with it a little bit to make it look like the interrior in for example, moonhawk.
    --- Post updated ---
    I know the pain of doing sth for hours and then putting a lot of effort into it and then right after finishing getting criticized for everything you've done since my dad does that all the time, but sometimes you have to look even at the clear hate comments as they might actually be true.

9. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

The thing why the textures and so on probably look off is beam ng itself as all wood applications kinda look off wich is a problem sometimes

10. Ai'Torror

Ai'Torror
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

I know the pain of doing sth for hours and then putting a lot of effort into it and then right after finishing getting criticized for everything you've done since my dad does that all the time, but sometimes you have to look even at the
    I'm not talking about wood textures, look at the interior of the moonhawk, and then look at this interior and then say which you can read at what speed you're going or in which you can see at all cause in my opinion the sitting position is a bit too low. (IDK it might be like that in a real thing if you're shorter.)

11. SergentFido

SergentFido
    Expand Collapse

You're comparing a car that is all imaginary and not expected to be looking like a real one, with a car that i made for myself, that i wanted to look like my OWN !
    So i want the velours to look like the one in my car, and the fake wood too. That's why this is a mod based on real car and not official content. It looks different.

The cluster being one issue, that's okay, but getting critics for choices for the overall interior is not nice.

Again, my purpose wasn't to make it look like the official cars. All mods i can see about real cars in GTA are using photo bits.

I take note of your crit about the cluster, i'm not that closed minded. You always speak about the whole interior while having issue with the cluster.
    --- Post updated ---
    The cluster isn't clear, that's okay. If your hating all the textures of the cars, then i say no, this is not true, but your opinion. telling using photobits is bad is not an objective critic, it's a personal taste.
    Cluster being not clear is a fact. So i take note, but i won't fix it because i don't have time for modding currently.

#451 SergentFido, Oct 25, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Ai'Torror

Ai'Torror
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

Apparently my PC didn't like me and for some reason the interior was lower quality before (?) and now I can see even the speedo if I look closely. After a good look around, yes they look less 3D than the base game stuff, but they look okay. Sorry for all of the posts above, my pc just really doesn't like me.

And
    really it had 2 hangup during the time I was writing this post... I have to change those 6 year old hard drives...

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Brown_Diplomat

Brown_Diplomat
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Could you make the gear indicator in the Caprice move?

14. SergentFido

SergentFido
    Expand Collapse

yep this is somthing forgotten indeed. When an update will be done but i can't currently tell when.

15. Ai'Torror

Ai'Torror
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

Do you have all of the engines and transmissions already updated? Or are you going to leave them as there are, or you're planning to do this some time in the future? Cause Idk If I should waste my time trying to improve the engines situation If an update with the same exact thing would come right as I'd finish it. (I've had that situation already with adding locking differentials to the D-series, and the day after that there was an update in which they've added them)

16. RELYT2012

RELYT2012
    Expand Collapse

You can tell there is alot of work put into this mod. I enjoy it very much, even when my computer doesn't. That being said, I can't wait to see future updates. PS. I love the nascar engine.

17. SergentFido

SergentFido
    Expand Collapse

My version has already the manual transmission indeed. But as said before, currently my professional obligations keep me away from free modding currently.
    But i will keep you informed.

18. Ai'Torror

Ai'Torror
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

I can't seem to find the 4wd transfercase file, I want to reverse engineer it as after I've added Barstow engines and transmission, the RWD transfercase has tons of slip and on the drivetrain app it isn't even connected to the rear diff, but with your engines it works somehow.
    4wd Transfer case still doesn't transfer the power to the rear wheels but at least the FWD still works.
    I'm trying to learn modding from simple stuff like that first.

19. SergentFido

SergentFido
    Expand Collapse

The transfercase is in the gearbox if i remember well, i can't start the game right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Ai'Torror

Ai'Torror
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

I've meant file wise... I've looked threw the whole oldsfullsize_engine.jbeam and all of the rear suspension files and I can't find it
    --- Post updated ---
    Nevermind, apparently it works with addon cars but does not with the codename :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice