That looks very promising! I would like to share a thought with you since I'm here for the moment... American Road has been my favourite go-to map ever since I first got it back in ... Heck I dunno how long ago now, but I love it cuz of its size (obviously . small maps are annoying as no matter where you go, you quickly return to where just were LOL), the versatility of roads - there is something for just about every thinkable vehicle on this one map. It also seems to be quite well running even on fairly potatoish PCs from what I hear and seen in forums. Personally, I abandoned Windows all together about 7-8 weks ago and nowadays rock CachyOS only. That means BeamNG on Native Linux and astonishingly, your map runs even better on Linux! I dont know why but that's what I see, Now - Haleson made a version of your map where he ploped out a bunch of cool houses (for RP purposes actually but they are also very nice to have for those of us who just like a homy place to chill with coffee between chasing speeders or trying to escape the cops). So I was wondering if that would be something to add on Americen Road? More buildings and mayhaps smaller settlements in addition to what already exists. This map sure has the space to accomodate them. Thanks for all the work you put into this map, and for keeping it free. Most or at least many, of us gamers have shitty financial situations and can rarely spend money on mods without sacrificing food on the table IRL. Now we just need the devs to fix the headlights on the cars as I used to love nightdriving, that is no longer possible. Even high beams only allow for maybe 5-10 meters of almost decent visuals of whats in front of us. Version 0.38 and earlier, had WAY longer range and much more realistic effect on them. I have not found a mod either (yet) that worls to improve the headlights, and the edits I did manually to headlights.jbeam pre-0.39 does absolutely nothing now unfortunately. Cheers! ️
Hi, thanks for your comment! I'm using CachyOS as well since May, but still in dual-boot with Windows. Unfortunately, BeamNG is running slightly worse on Linux/Vulkan for me, probably because of my bad graphics card. But I'm mostly using Linux anyway. Haven't started Windows in over a week - the last boot was to download and test 0.39, to see how it's running on there. I might add a few houses scattered across the map. Maybe one or two at a road through a forest. However, they won't be custom assets like the ones Haleson added. Thanks for your suggestion Headlights and night driving got better for me with 0.39. Before, most headlights barely illuminated anything. So I don't know what you mean? This is what it looks like for me (0.39, American Road):
Interesting... For me its the opposite as mentioned LOL - Version 38 and earlier allowed me to edit headlights.jbeam (or some such) for much better headlights. Worked on any car that had those files. There were also several mods for those who dont mess with jbeam or lua stuff. As of 39 tho, I get blinded by very strong white light just in front of the car, but absolutely no range on them. The dynamic light adjustment things they put in 39 is doing a bad number on it on my end at least. Even without any mods or nothing. I havent found a working sollution for this yet on my CachyOS installation of BeamNG. I should probably mention that I'm usign the native linux Beam, not Ptoton. And the fact that I'm stuck with an NVidia card as I cant afford the convertion of aquiring an AMD as most people seem to recommend for Linux.
Another quick progress update: Night lights are done. I've placed around 1800 lamps on the map (this was painful to do ). I'm also adding a new game mode within freeroam (for now specific to this map - the old bus scenarios will be removed)
Update: Version 1.3 This version brings compatibility with BeamNG 0.39, new and partially pbr textures, Freeroam Bus Mode, reduced file size and more! Remeber to clear your cache after updating! Changelog: Spoiler: it's quite long updated sunsky and clouds for 0.39 added new pbr groundcover with subsurface scattering updated all trees, bushes and containers to pbr updated road, bricks and metal materials to pbr replaced most houses with independently colorable houses added night lighting added a few new roads updated restaurant and industries signs changed textures of billboards, now most have advertisements instead of scraps of paper on them reworked transition between grassland and desert added ambient wind using the forest audio editor improved ambient water sounds, now using audio ribbon editor, removed unnecessary sfx emitter objects added dynamic traffic AI speed limits, 50 km/h in cities, "unlimited" on other roads added police vehicle group for AI traffic and evade missions added poi system similar to that of Skeleton Coast moved many regular spawnpoints to pois, 18 spawnpoints remain removed some spawnpoints/poimarkers and added a few new ones updated all thumbnails and added/revised descriptions updated time trials to modern standards added one new time trial: another short circuit on AR Race Track removed old bus lines which were using the base-game system added Freeroam Bus Mode with audiovisual stop and line announcement system: pull up at a stop, open the doors, select a line and drive to the end while stopping at all stops inbetween, no loading times, with time- and violations-based scoring system removed some unnecessary files removed .cdae and imposter files, which are now generated when loading the map first time, which results in a longer loading time but smaller file size used linking system to further reduce the file size reduced file size from 664.51 to 476.09 MB moved all objects by +569 on the z-axis, to move the sea level of the map from -569 to 0 - this lead to issues in the past (most notable when flying a plane and colliding with an invisible wall) and should be fixed now (thanks to AlexKidd71 and his amazing Mapping Tool!) I probably forgot some things one existing secret has been expanded (I wonder if anyone ever found it ) a few new secrets Images: These are some of the in-game previews, so they are a bit smaller than usual. The download link for the new version can be found at the bottom of the first post. You can also find an introduction to the Freeroam Bus Mode there. I will keep the download for pre-0.39 version 1.2 up, in case anyone cannot or does not want to update their game past 0.38. The download link can be found on the first page of this tread. An update to the mission pack will follow soon.
Awesome... Someone is about to make a large mug of coffee while downloading this all-time favourite map! I will also be looking for cute houses where I can set the "home point" for whatever car (usually a Lamborghini lol) I tend to drive. Your map (including the haleson take on it) is my most used map because its big, has everything to test any vehicle on and its one of few maps I can push my Lamborghinis up to 400 Km/h without running out of road *sneaks off to make coffee*
yo is it just a problem on my part or are all the ai races, time trials, all the scenarios under the map
I changed the height of the map, but the positions in the mission pack are still the old ones. I'm going to update it soon. In the meantime, you can deactivate or remove it.
Super cool work by OP, thank you so much! Converting textures to PBR, leaving the links to previous versions and keeping the map is totally free is goated
I have a question: I use a mod called "realistic drivers" wich manipulates the AI cars to give them a more interesting behaviour but the changes to speed or what was made on your map kinda of nullifies that. I had a look at it via world editor but since I never use that thing, I dont know how to use it so I'm wondering if there is a way to lift whatever restrictions was made to them. Realistic Drivers mod, gives each individual AI vehicle a "personality" making some of them drive like DUI, have temperfits, some drive slow, some drive faster etc etc. Its not working properly when there are built in AI parameters in the map it seems. I think the mod yields its scripted actions to the map. Making the AI cars ignore much of what the mod would normally do. Other then that, this map is so awesome now. I found some of the new houses and villages. The nightlights in towns makes it very cool to drive at night (even though I still dont like what 0.39 did, high beams are such short range compared to what they were 0.38 LOL).
Honestly it looks like the Realistic Drivers mod creator should look into this. It's more efficient for him to edit his mod than for every map maker to take this into account
You could be correct. I do not know how to mod, I only unziped the Realistic Drivers mod and peeked at the lua scripting that made it all happen. From what little I could understand, its mostly about algorithms and algebra. Maybe a small sample of what it looks like in the mod itself can explain it? *** aggressive = { name = "Aggressive / Road Rage", weight = 4, -- Realistic: truly aggressive drivers are uncommon (~4%) dynamic = true, -- v1.6.1: Enable dynamic behaviors for visible aggressive driving reactive = true, params = { aggression = {0.65, 0.8}, -- Higher aggression for noticeable cornering speedMult = {1.2, 1.5}, -- 20-50% faster than normal - VERY noticeable *** As mentioned, I know nothing about moding but this looks like multipliers and so if there is a cap on max or min speed within the map itself, that may prevent the calculation results of those multipliers to apply? Lets say vehicle speed on AIs is limited to 100 km/h (60 mph) somewhere in the world editor of map itself - then this mod trying to make them go 150 km/h isnt going to work due to the built in speedcap and/or aggression immediately turn it back down to 100 km/h ? Again, I dont know how this stuff work. Which is why I'm posting in the first place. Whomever created Realistic Drivers mod, can not overwrite the maps own caps I would think. If this is too much of a hassle to remedy, then we can just drop the subject alltogether of course. Its not gamebraking in any way that the AIs in Barstow State refuse to drive like mad people once in a while to make things a little chaotic.
You could try commenting line 42 and 50 inside the mainLevel.lua, where it says gameplay_traffic.setTrafficVars. Change these lines to have -- in front of them, so they won't be executed. The file is located at /levels/mk_americanroad/mainLevel.lua inside the mod zip. After that, the AI mod you have should work as usual, but the map's speed limit won't.
"You could try commenting line 42 and 50 inside the mainLevel.lua, where it says gameplay_traffic.setTrafficVars. Change these lines to have -- in front of them, so they won't be executed. The file is located at /levels/mk_americanroad/mainLevel.lua inside the mod zip. After that, the AI mod you have should work as usual, but the map's speed limit won't." You rock! That was all that was needed. Now I see occasional random AIs driving like complete maniacs again!
the rls variant of american road is made by a dif dude if i remember correctly and its on his patreon