An interesting way to simulate engine sounds...

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by mrwallace888, Feb 4, 2021.

1. mrwallace888

mrwallace888
    Expand Collapse

Well I believe you can assign on-throttle and off-throttle sounds. Or maybe it's just engine and exhaust sounds. I may be wrong.

2. FFIVGUY

FFIVGUY
    Expand Collapse

I tried to use two phasors, one at 0.25 for fuel injection and 0.75-1 for how much to valve is open, but when exporting the sample from fl studio the effects didn't seem to apply after resetting the vehicle.
    Does anyone know if there is a better software to use than fl studio for making engine sounds that you can actually pitch bend an engine rpm loop with fromant preservation?

#62 FFIVGUY, Jul 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
  3. FFIVGUY

FFIVGUY
    Expand Collapse

I don't know it if you have ever made engine sounds in fl studio, but if you have, is there a way to this in Fl Studio? I have some good sound engine sounds made already, but they all sound like it's just open pipes and no manifold or headers since there is nothing to merge the cylinder pulses.

4. Exchy

Exchy
    Expand Collapse

Synthesizing a fire order is not the problem, but different engine build is the other stuff. You have somewhat a cross-plane v8 there, but what if we needed flatplane, or how do we make it unique, like audi v10 and huracan v10 is the same engine but they sound different. Then you'd need to extract exhaust from there.

• Like Like x 1
  5. FFIVGUY

FFIVGUY
    Expand Collapse

I agree. I got the firing order synthesized, it's just figuring out how to simulate manifolds/headers and stuff so that the pulses merge and stuff and trying to figure out how to get an actual cross-plane v8 to sound like that I8 I showed in the video. The examples in the video were just to show that is basically like open pipes without anything to merge the pulses together to make it sound like a proper exhaust/intake system.

6. Exchy

Exchy
    Expand Collapse

at this point just manual tuning and probably a multilayer sound

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

Unfortunately I never have, but I might be able to help anyways? Maybe?

So I fully understand what your talking about... no matter what rpm the engine is at and no matter how many pistons, it all sounds like individual pistons. The only time this ever sounds right is basically when it is nothing but open headers or straight pipes... which is I think what I did in that original post. Take note that the reason I did this is because it allowed me to make a sound that required no manipulation. No mufflers involved means no piston pulse blending, no sound cancellation, no Y pipe/ H pipe/ X pipe blending... none of that.

So... what do we do about it.

First note... at low RPM and low load, the majority of the sound is made right at the point when the valve opens which allows the exhaust to rush out into the headers/manifold. The rest of the sound for the rest of the exhaust stroke will mostly be a rushing air sound... much quieter, and much lower... This is usually over so fast that most of the time you don't even hear it especially because in a real engine it is then followed up by the intake stroke which will also make a sound through the intake... we are ignoring that bit though.

What this means though is that, to a point, the part of the exhaust stroke that makes the majority of the sound actually doesn't change in length. Once the rpm starts to get high enough you will hit a point where the exhaust stroke will actually match the time of that initial pulse or actually be shorter than that initial pulse. This usually happens when the exhaust flow out of the engine is faster through the valve/head interface then the speed of sound. Once you hit the speed of sound at maximum valve lift, you end up hitting your choke point. Incase your wondering... usually this point is where peak torque is created on the torque curve. The engine can't flow any better, and therefor, the faster you spin it, the same amount of air still gets in and out of the engine... well... actually the amount of air coming in and going out goes down as you rev past that point... but thats a different discussion for a different day.

ANYWAYS... point being is that for about 2/3's of the rev range, the sound of the actual exhaust "pulse" doesn't really change in duration with RPM. It DOES change with load however. Mostly in amplitude (engine get loud when step on loud pedal) due to the increase in pressure in the cylinder from more gas and more air in the engine. So that peak torque example would happen at full throttle. At lighter throttle usage, the length of the pulse would go down, and therefor it would end up being able to reach even higher into the rev range.

This means though that the spacing between pulses changes but the actual sound produced per pulse does not. That is why simple demonstrations like this end up sounding so darn realistic.

The actual length of the beats for each piston don't change... just the spacing between the beats changes. What this causes is at higher RPM's the sounds start to blend together as the peaks of the pulses go from being very far apart at idle to being quite close together at high rev's... or to the point of actually overlapping with enough cylinders.... its that overlapping where the magic actually happens.

When you have very few cylinders... even with a proper exhaust... the engine will sound... "chunky" because no matter how hard you rev it... the cylinders pulses never really blend together.... unless you have a really good exhaust.

4 cylinders is really the crossing point... (well... assuming even firing order and crank spacing of 180 degrees between firing of each cylinder and that it is a 4 stroke) as you now have a power stroke every 180 degrees of crank rotation... there is no gap in power strokes, and thus at higher RPM, you can start to get the exhaust pulses to really bunch up in the exhaust... this is why sport bike engines with 4 cylinders are often referred to as screamers.

I would like to point out though that with most of these engines you can still make out all of their individual piston beats quite easily. Again... this is down to the fact that 4 cylinders don't truly blend their exhaust strokes... that and most of these have upgraded exhausts that don't do any blending in the exhaust.

Skipping a few cylinders now...

V12 now... Notice how these cars at idle you can easily tell apart the individual piston beats... but once the revs start to climb, you can easily hear the shift from individual pistons to basically just... a "noise"... no individual pistons anymore... the engine is now its own instrument playing its own tune.

So I don't know if something like this is even possible in FL studios... but that should be the avenue you try and chase down to get a better sound at different RPM's.

Once you have that trick in the bag, the next step is basically putting the sound you generate through ̶h̶i̶g̶h̶ low pass filters to "dull" and "spread out" the individual pistons to get a smoother "muffled" noise... but Beam kinda does that on its own anyways... thus why I like Beams sound engine so much... RAW engine sounds go in... muffled ones come out... till you rip off the muffler.

#67 atv_123, May 5, 2023
    Last edited: May 8, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  8. FFIVGUY

FFIVGUY
    Expand Collapse

How would I go about this without losing all of the low frequencies and making it sound awful?

9. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

Whoops, your right. Low pass... not high pass. The job of the muffler/resonator is to kill the high frequency stuff which is what a low pass filter would do. I miswrote that, I will go up and correct it for anyone reading in the future.

• Like Like x 1
  10. FFIVGUY

FFIVGUY
    Expand Collapse

That got part of the job done, but the sound waves are still not blending. (an example of what I'm trying to accomplish is how much smoother and "noisier" the I6_2_exhaust sounds than the I4_2_exhaust.

11. Davina

Davina
    Expand Collapse

Just found William Moser's channel. I for one am definitely in favour of some of engine sound modelling, be it based on firing order or whatever. Anything to bring more realism & variety to ICE sounds.

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice