an option to disable steering wheel auto centre

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by lyndon123, Jan 13, 2018.

1. lyndon123

lyndon123
    Expand Collapse

I have been playing euro truck simulator and I disabled the auto center off and I find it way easier to play. is there any chance it could be added to beam?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. CommandoAir

CommandoAir
    Expand Collapse

I might have missed it, but I don't remember seeing such an option.

Why do you want to turn it off, though? It happens in real life, too, and you can just hold the wheel if you don't want it to return.

3. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

What is this auto center (I don't have a wheel right now)?

With real cars there is no auto center, but effect of caster etc. is to turn wheel so that wheels point to direction of travel more or less, this does not happen when not moving though.

I remember some option in wheel or in some other game that caused wheel to constantly pull to center with constant force and that was really fake, is that what is meant by this auto center?

4. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

I think he does... Forza Horizon games have that and it always drove me nuts. Beam, as far as I know though, has no such feature... just the natural geometry of the suspension.

5. BenMac1

BenMac1
    Expand Collapse

For my Logitech G27 if I want to disable auto center I simply unplug the power connection to the wheel and leave the USB plugged in. It disables the force feedback yet all controls still work.

6. Unster

Unster
    Expand Collapse

You can tone down the force feedback in options. I actually had to turn it up when I first got my wheel, as my wheel had no force feedback. As others have said, auto-centering while driving is realistic, and I like it that way.

7. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Wouldn't it be same to disable FFB? I know my G25 had zero force effects when I disabled FFB in other games.

In logitech profiler, there was a setting for centering spring or something like that, make sure that is disabled, whatever game you play.

8. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Keep in mind, a vehicle rolling forward will tend to center it's own wheel, it'll tend to point the wheels straight, unless your vehicle is on a hill facing sideways, it may turn the wheels a tad towards the low side of the vehicle then. This is especially true with rear-wheel drive - power steering or not. I drove a few vehicles that didn't have it (I didn't mind honestly, after about 3 months of driving a vehicle like that 24/7, an Isuzu LUV {1982, vintage stuff, as old as me in fact}, I could pick up 100+ lbs in each arm no issue aside of my back).
    So yeah, there's some realism to auto-center of a vehicle, but much of it is power steering these days (75~85% or so of it), others is just the mechanical design of steering systems. Non-power steering vehicles may not perfectly center the steering all the way for some distance, but mostly it'll come back to a straight line, given enough time.

This is also true if you're towing a vehicle and it's steering tires are on the ground (like how you tow rear wheel drive vehicles, the vehicle will tend to 'follow').

#8 bob.blunderton, Jan 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  9. Dr. Death

Dr. Death
    Expand Collapse

Im gonna shoot a stray bullet here.

I think he doesn't mean the wheel auto centering when the car is finishing a turn, but instead he means that if he turns left and releases the keyboard he wants the car to still steer left.

10. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

Oh... if thats the case I didn't catch onto that at all... so like some of the trucks in the old Spintires?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice