Any advice for a new videocard?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Driv3r1142, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Driv3r1142

Driv3r1142
    Expand Collapse

So far the RX 480 is another broken promise from AMD it looks like. I could be wrong since I am still looking into it, but it doesn't seem to be something I'd want in a serious gaming machine. Maybe you guys have found more information on it than I have?

Anyway, what do you guys think?

I mostly play BeamNG, so would the RX 480 handle BeamNG in full-screen at a resolution of 1920 x 1080 at normal to high graphics settings? or would it be a waste of 200$ I could've put towards a decent graphics card capable of doing the task.

60 FPS is what I am after for BeamNG. Less than 55 and I have a problem.

My basic specs are in the first post of this thread if you need to look at them again.

2. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

its roughly equivelant to a base model 970 in DX11

• Like Like x 1
  3. Drivver

Drivver
    Expand Collapse

RX 480 should be fine for med/high. My R9 380, which is way slower handle BeamNG at 1080p/ AA/ Vsync/ med/ med/ med/ high/ PostFX=DoF only/ 16x filtering/ 0.75 grass draw distance with disabled shadows via debug, and highly set up dynamic reflections. I have to have stable as rock 60fps to play, because any latency drastically delay steering wheel movement and it's unplayable for me then, because I mostly do time attacks. But it's mostly 1 vehicle rig. To play Demolition Derby I have to also disable dynamic reflections and erase everything from terrain, just concrete barriers around playground, and then it keeps very stable 60fps too. If I wouldn't do this it would jump around 25-45fps.

Anyway IDK how well BeamNG perform on Xeons but E5 2670 ( stepping have to be C1 or C2 non ES ) is right now the best bang for buck, and should handle BeamNG well as it's 8c/16t the real problem is LGA 2011 socket in X79 mobo, if you can find one cheap, it's probably the best way to spent money on PC. I'm thinking to try it myself but I can't find any mobo that would fit my budget, while CPU is around 60-75$ ( don't get me wrong it can compete with i7s ! and is better in almost every case than FX 8370 which isn't bad at all) I can't find that mobo for less than 200$.

@Edit: also read my posts from 1st page, as my analysis was spot on it's worth to read it to know a bit about this model, and I knew it very well. But buying reference RX 480 now may be a bad idea. I'd wait for real MSRP solutions and their prices. In my country 8GB reference is 300-340 USD... it's way better for me to buy from Newegg, but solutions with 1x8pin / 2x 6 pin + better cooler may be way better, as reference model after just ~2-5% OC ( depends on silicon lottery ) exceed it's power limits and it's making OC very unstable. While AMD OC utility "WattMan" is really damn good. With better coolers ( as reference cooling system is very small ) and more power reserve it MAY reach GTX 980/Fury stage. What I'm waiting for are Sapphire Nitro or MSI Gaming versions.

#43 Drivver, Jun 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  4. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

It's not. AMD promised an entry-level VR capable card, so about the same performance as a 970. It does exactly that - it even matches or outperforms a 980 in DX12. Which for $200 - same as a 380 or 960 - is pretty amazing.
    The claims that it would come close to or outperform a Fury were completely baseless, the whole thing was massively overblown. AMD didn't disappoint, people disappointed themselves.

I get 60-80FPS with a 970 on high settings (maxed with reflections on mid/high). The 480 should be just fine. If you want a high end card get a 1070 or wait for Vega.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

Trick is, if you're the kind of guy who likes to get depressed over anything new and always needs a reason to say it's bad, just make your expectancies super high so you can only be dissapointed.

6. Srockzz

Srockzz
    Expand Collapse

RX480. Nothing else will give you the value and the fps

7. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

wait on non reference 480's to come out, the reference design has been shown to have a power fault making it non PCIe compliant and potentially damaging to motherboards and/or PSUs. Also thermal throttles like a bitch. But is a very nicely performing card, I'm sure once theres a subtle rev2 rerelease or a non reference card it should be fine.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Driv3r1142

Driv3r1142
    Expand Collapse

I am aware of the power consumption issue and the card temp issues. I cant run out and buy a card anyway at this moment so I am waiting. Better stuff comes down the road.

Yet another reason why you dont buy a videocard the first day its released :p

9. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Waiting for the custom boards of the Rx 480's myself, they look good, Asus and MSI (and pretty sure Gigabyte) will have custom models with an 8-pin connector (and the Asus has pin landings for another power socket if you live dangerously and solder one on yourself!), so totally worth waiting until mid August if you want to. Waiting here with my 7850 2gb with it's 30~40% OC (still doesn't hit 77C), It's served me well for three years. A realistic map took the FPS down to 24fps though, at minimum, which is too low for nice Beam-ing. A 144 sq/mile map, mind you (Tennessee), but still, 24fps = bad. OC'ed the snot out of it, while staying within OEM specs for pitcairn gpu and got 34fps minimum...
    Totally and entirely worth waiting for custom boards also because with custom coolers and better VRM's (usually), you have less chance of coil whine (aka dead or dying rat screamage in high fps scenarios). Switched away from Nvidia due to this.
    Wish you luck! Good things come to those who wait.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice